Model Cars Magazine Forum

SNB

Short Narrow Bed.

Dang, that is looking great.

Porsche dash in a Dodge, looks good..

Cool leaf springs.

I found out that scratch built Plastic springs just don't stand up to moving.

Great frame

Love the Blower and the Distributor proper location.

Not many catch that. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Here's another progress shot on the Hemi. The Hilborn style injectors on the top are scratch built as are the aluminum pulley's. I have a better shot of the front of the engine, but once again I can't get it to view.

IMG_3012b.jpg

Here's the interior complete with the exception of the gauge decals. the dash top was extended to match up with the windshield profile and aluminum bezels were added for the gauge cluster as well as some pin heads for chrome knobs (retro again). The shifter is from the Ram truck, but with the metal bezel added around the base of the shifter boot. Finally, pedals from the Coddington 32 Ford again and carpet. The gray is Tamiya primer. The blue accent is to match the eventual exterior color which will be Tamiya Mica Blue.

IMG_3021b.jpg

IMG_3026b.jpg

Somebody out there is as sick as I am. I am loving this!

To anyone interested, I built a "late model" Dodge pickup based rod a while back. Feel free to check out the buildup:

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckMost/buildup-little-red-/

It's not as "nice" as the Retro Ram, but I did chop the cab in approximately the same manner.

Can't wait to see the Retro Ram done!

Edited by Chuck Most

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling with the picture posting on MCM. Last night these wouldn't appear, tonight there's no problem. Same procedure both times. I don't know ...

Chuck, that's an awesome build. Amazing how similar our techniques are. I went through your WIP and thought I was reading about mine.

Any how, the firewall is made from a slice of .060" styrene sheet stock with half-round rod used to simulate bead-rolling. Strips of square rod were glued inside each side of the body to provide a shoulder for the firewall to seat on. This keeps it flush with the front edge of the body sides. Notches in the base of the firewall (and rear of cab) help position the body on the 32 Ford fenders. Once the firewall is glued in place, it will provide strength to a body that has been cut in every direction(like Frankenstein, but not as ugly :rolleyes: ).

IMG_3030b.jpg

IMG_3036b.jpg

IMG_3043b.jpg

Edited by Alyn

WOW! I wish I could scratch-build modify like that! That is impressive work there my friend. Beautiful color and I bet it'll be a hot ride when all complete! The Porsche dashboard suits it very well as it reminds me of some of the older classic dashboards from older trucks. Not sure which makes/models, but has similar styling.

Here's a couple more pics that wouldn't load last night. Don't know why they work today :lol:

IMG_3225b.jpg

The pickup bed including tailgate is entirely scratch built. I'm in the midst of building some simple "can" style taillights and need to add a couple of bolt heads to the tailgate hinges. The bed is made from individual planks of basswood, separated by stryrene "T's" covered in BMF.

IMG_3282b.jpg

Alyn-

Thanks for digging Little Red! It's my most crude, inaccurate, and underdetailed model of all time, and it's the one everybody digs! Go figure. Totally different animal from the Retro Ram for sure, but kindred spirits none the less. I'm currently working on a "sequel", based on a 1980-1996 Ford F-series cab. (You might well deserve at least some of the "blame" for it!)

But enough about my junk- this is your post! The Retro Ram looks completely different from what I envisioned by the early posts. I knew it was going to be off the hook,but, WHOA! I think part of my brain just melted!

Edited by Chuck Most

I was a bit sceptical about how this build would end up at first Alyn, but this is BEAUTIFUL! I followed it through the build process and learnt a lot from your scratch building techniques. You are da man!!

Thanks, gentlemen. Here's the way the Retro-Ram sits today. I got tired of only having one car to bring to contests, so I threw this one together to the point that I could enter it. No headlights, no taillights, no exhaust, no radiator hoses and no driveshaft, but close enough. This one's all about the design, not the details. I took it to the Kansas Automotive Modelers Society (KAMS) show a couple of weeks ago and brought home a 1st in Class (Light Truck & Van) plus the Club Members Choice award. Tonight, I'm working on scratch building some headlights and tail lights.

IMG_3283b.jpg

Under the hood. Brake assembly is from the Ram VTS kit. The battery is scratch built with zipper teeth for the cable clamps. The throttle lever on the front of the injectors (if you can see it)is a piece of copper wire flattened and bent 90°.IMG_3287b.jpg

IMG_3292b.jpg

Wow, 1'st place. I've never wone anything. I might take some of my KS models to our local model contest and see what happens.

I love that blue, it's a blue I might do on one of my KS cars. What blue is that again and how did you acheive such a glass-smooth super glossy finish?

I am totally amazed at how detailed and well put together this is considering it's mostly scratch-built.

I'm amazed at how smoothly you were able to shorten the cab and make it look like it was originally this way! It look's so good, it look's like it was a ready-to-make kit!

I'm curious as to how your going to scratch-build the lenses, that must be hard to do! Are they going to be clear, or just painted to look like lenses?

Wow, 1'st place. I've never wone anything.

Don't let that bug ya, Fujimi-Man!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE FUN!!!!

I think the Retro Ram has taught us that! I'm itching to see what type of head & tail lamp setups you pull out of your hat!

Edited by Chuck Most

Don't let that bug ya, Fujimi-Man!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE FUN!!!!

I think the Retro Ram has taught us that! I'm itching to see what type of head & tail lamp setups you pull out of your hat!

I've never been all that competative anyway. Still, would be nice to win a model contast on something you've spent so much time and effort on.

I'm also curious about those headlight, tail-lamps. I was thinking for the headlights you could use the ones off a 32 Ford Roadster mounted on those fenders?

... I'm itching to see what type of head & tail lamp setups you pull out of your hat!

Out of my Hat! That's a much better place than what I had in mind. At least that way you wouldn't have to clean and sanitize the parts :lol:

Fujimi-Man, as far as contests go, I entered a brush painted 56 Ford pickup in a local contest when I was around 12 years old. I thought it was a cool model, but it didn't win anything. Now, 45 years later, I started building models again and wanted to finally win something, so I plan on entering several contests this year.

The blue is Tamiya Mica blue. I wanted to find something that matched the box art on the Dodge VTS kit and this is pretty close. Unlike most others, I don't start out with mist coats, but shoot 'em wet right from the start. It works for me, but it's not necessarily the best way to do things. About 30 years ago, I worked in a paint shop, so that helps. The blue was followed by several coats of Tamiya clear which contributes to the shine. The top of the roof has been polished as it had a spec or two of dirt/dust in the paint. I could point out a few other flaws, but I won't :P

The tail lights are done. They're built out of aluminum tube filled with styrene. After applying some BMF, clear red acrylic paint was poured into the end of the tube to form the lense. For the headlights, I'll just find some old lenses in my parts box. I have the chrome 32 Ford headlights that go with the fenders, but I wanted something more bullet shaped so the ends of a couple of ball-point pens will be used.

Thanks for following along

Out of my Hat! That's a much better place than what I had in mind. At least that way you wouldn't have to clean and sanitize the parts :)

HA! Yeah- I was ORIGINALLY going to say something along THOSE lines but then I thought kids might be reading, so I opted not to!

:)

Finished up the tail lights. Aluminum tube covered in matte black with Tamiya clear red acrylic used for the red lense. I sanded off the paint on the tubing edge to give it the look of a bright metal bezel. These are the kind of universal lights you can find at your local auto supply store or Tractor Supply, etc. They were as common as mud back in the day.

IMG_3507b.jpg

IMG_3525b.jpg