Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dcanting paint without wearing it?!

Any suggestions on how to do such a thing with Tamiya paint cans without wasting alot or wearing it? Thank you!

Chris,

If you can find them get some of the paper cone shaped cups used for spring water etc. I got some at a restaraunt supply store in Shiremanstown near the Capital City Mall. Just cut the end off stick in the airbrush bottle and spray into cone.

cone_paper_cup.jpg

All you need is a drinking straw and maybe some fun tack to seal it to the nozzle, some straws fit with just friction. It's painfully easy. Try not to listen to those that will tell you grand stories of buying hardware store items that allow you to "safely" poke a hole in the can, aka the Rube Goldberg method. Yes, that will work, and so will taking a Hummer H1 or a Bugatti Veyron to the corner store to pick up a gallon of milk. Try the simple method first...

How To Decant Tamiya Sprays Easily & Safely

Chris,

If you can find them get some of the paper cone shaped cups used for spring water etc. I got some at a restaraunt supply store in Shiremanstown near the Capital City Mall. Just cut the end off stick in the airbrush bottle and spray into cone.

cone_paper_cup.jpg

That looks like a good simple method as well.

Heres a way Ive heard of, I've never did it though, but it should work. First turn the can upside down, and spray it till ALL the propellant is gone (no pressure left) Now, use one of those old can openers that leave the little triangle holes and open the bottom of the can and pour it into a container. I almost forgot to shake it first. You can then store it in a clean glass jar. And pour it into You airbursh jar.

Any suggestions on how to do such a thing with Tamiya paint cans without wasting alot or wearing it? Thank you!

I use a straight or flex straw up against the nozzle, and seal it off with a plasticine, non hardening modeling clay, that I get at a craft store here in Oregon, called Michaels Crafts.

Never leaks, and work's great, and no blow back in your face or on your hands.

Hope this helps - dave :P .

• 1 month later...

If this topic isn't already a dead horse, I'll strongly recommend the Bob Downie Method. I've found it to be astonishingly simple and, more importantly, effective. I always wear gloves and hold the can and glass decanting jar under a tabletop just as precautionary measures, but I've never had a problem yet. And you can get every last drop from those cans.

Heres a way Ive heard of, I've never did it though, but it should work. First turn the can upside down, and spray it till ALL the propellant is gone (no pressure left) Now, use one of those old can openers that leave the little triangle holes and open the bottom of the can and pour it into a container. I almost forgot to shake it first. You can then store it in a clean glass jar. And pour it into You airbursh jar.

freezing it works better

If this topic isn't already a dead horse, I'll strongly recommend the Bob Downie Method. I've found it to be astonishingly simple and, more importantly, effective. I always wear gloves and hold the can and glass decanting jar under a tabletop just as precautionary measures, but I've never had a problem yet. And you can get every last drop from those cans.

Yep the easiest way!! ;)

Yep the easiest way!! ;)

Thanks, though the straw method was one that I had seen before somewhere, and then Tim Kolankiewicz showed how some straws fit Tamiya nozzles without any tape or other secondary attachment materials. There is no better way to decant paint than through it's own nozzle, if the can is working properly (has paint and pressure).

Hi, I have used the hole in the can method successfully but it is hard to get all the pressure out before puncturing the can.

Another method I tried and was even better at was to find another spray can button that fits, the kind you can put a nozzle into like you get on WD40 or a similar directable spray. Then slip a small bore piece of tubing over the end and into a jar to de-can then just press as normal. Around 10 ins of washer tubing did the trick for me & was fine.

John

Similar to Jeff, I use a piece of brass tubing. (I had some lying around) I taped it to the Tamiya nozzle with 3M green masking tape. I use a baby food jar (cleaned out of course) as the recepticle. I simply drill a hole in the lid a little bigger than the tube, and viola!! no mess!! I also like the ability to seal the jar in case I did not use all of the paint. I tape over the hole with more of the aforementioed 3M green. I have had the excess paint last about a week before going bad. One final note. let the paint gas out for about 15/20 minutes before trying to use it. On my first attempt, I neglected to do this and when

I tried to use the pipette to get the paint into the airbrush, it just ran all over the work bench. Oh well...live and learn!