Model Cars Magazine Forum

Triumph GT6

7 hours ago, GT Clive said:

Sir, I'm not sure I understand your comment about the front fender height...

I respect your opinion, and knowledge regarding these cars.

That said, I've also owned a couple, and worked on all manner of triumphs extensively.

Far as the Pyro / Lindberg kit goes, I see what I see as a collection of line and proportion mistakes, and at some point, I just may endeavor to build a model from the kit that actually looks like a GT6.

Then again, I may never get around to it.

Speaking of Triumph kits, don't think I've ever seen a kit of a TR6.    My ex-brother-in-law # 1 had an orange one in the late 70s-early 80s.  It was the first English sports car I rode in as a kid.  I remember he was always working on it... 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, GT Clive said:

I built a couple of car scale models going way back, but now as an old man in retirement I decided to have a serious attempt to build a scale model of a 1969 Triumph GT6 Mk2 which I owned in the UK from 1974-1977 finished in Triumph Conifer Green with Overdrive and a Webasto vinyl sunroof. When I bought the car, it had the original steel wheels with stainless steel trims (like those in the Lindberg kit) which I replaced later with Cosmic alloy wheels. It is a rare car, there were only 12,066 of the Mk2 built. The only model option I could find was the Lindberg kit which I had to order from the US.

It was a difficult build, I had to make changes as already described in this thread, enlarged windscreen aperture, narrower door pillars and enlarged door quarter light apertures, reshape the rear quarter windows. I modified it to RH drive with authentic dashboard. I removed the side wing indicators which were not on the UK cars, and the american-style? rear number plate “box”. I also removed the rear lights and hand made all the lights from broken red, orange and clear plastic bits that I found from road accidents.

I cut out the sunroof hole and scratch-built 2 versions of the vinyl roof, open and closed.

Below is a 1977 photo of my original car, and my model pics.

GT6_5536.jpg

GT6_2553.jpg

GT6_2559.jpg

GT6_2556.jpg

GT6_2563.jpg

GT6_2600.jpg

GT6_2602.jpg

GT6_2605.jpg

GT6_2618.jpg

Wow Clive, the mods you made to the kit are fantastic! I love the addition of the commission plate on the inner front fender! You even painted the black rubber molding around the windscreen and rear hatch glass! And the bonnet fit is superb!

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Speaking of Triumph kits, don't think I've ever seen a kit of a TR6.    My ex-brother-in-law # 1 had an orange one in the late 70s-early 80s.  It was the first English sports car I rode in as a kid.  I remember he was always working on it... 

From what I understand, a TR6 kit was never made. I've had a 1:1 1972 sapphire blue TR6 for over 30 years. Working on it is half the fun of owning it in my opinion. Took me 5 years to do a complete frame-off restoration. There are a few companies that made/make diecasts though.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, Safire6 said:

Wow Clive, the mods you made to the kit are fantastic! I love the addition of the commission plate on the inner front fender! You even painted the black rubber molding around the windscreen and rear hatch glass! And the bonnet fit is superb!

Thanks Steve, and eveyone else for your the comments. I try to make my models as accurate as possible, it's a bit of an obsession. I know the model is not perfect, but I enjoyed the challange!

That's a nice TR6 model. The only accurate ready-built scale model I have is an Autoart 1:18 Series 1 E-type Jaguar in Carmine Red with Biscuit interior. The detail is stunning, I can even read the name on the radio with a magnifying glass, except they mis-spelt Motorola by omitting the "a". There are a few other errors eg. the dashboard is beige, same as the rest of the interior, I'm pretty sure all Series 1 E-types had black dashboards. Minor points, but as I said, I'm obsessive with accuracy 😊

Here is a pic of the GT6 Dash.

IMG_5549.JPG

Thanks Bob, yes, the dash panel is about 1.75", it is only a 2D image of course, but it's amazing what you can do with a standard inkjet printer. The image resolution was 840 pixels per inch, if anyone wants to try it. The same goes for the radio, Triumph logo on the centre of the steering wheel, and the body badges, commision plate and tax disc on the windscreen. I used an old version of Photoshop to construct the images.