Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Musings. How about a buildoff?

Ron Hamilton

I do not have a lot of pics of the in process builds, but I can let you know what I am working on, and the direction I am going in on each one.

AMT 1963 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible- This one was an "unbuilt kit with issues" I picked up off of that "auction site" I bought it pretty cheap, as it had what I thought was just a busted windshield header. I ordered up the replacement for it from the Modelhaus, and installed it on the model.

2009_0718july09mamameeting0014.jpg

It didn't look too bad, except that it would sit on three wheels!!! The body was warped, and unrepairable as it sat. So, I had to do some major surgury on it. In my collection of parts, I had a derelict ex-glue bomb '63 Bonneville Convertible body. It was never painted, and from the front doors forward, there were no issues. The rear quarter panels had glue burns from a set of cruiser skirts, as well as hacked up wheel wells, and the tulip panel was non existant, as the convertible boot was welded to it with a liberal coating of glue, and it was torn up from the removal of the boot. The warped body's issues were in the front of the car, so the rear quarters and everything else from theat body was mated to the glue-bomb body to make one. I haven't photographed it, but the bodywork is nearly complete, an now I have a one piece, straight body to work with now. This is the direction I want to take with the car, but in a different color. I have narrowed the colors down to either Marlin Aqua(dark turquoise) with an Aqua interior, or Saddle Bronze (medium gold), with a Saddle interior. The wheel trim will be a set of correct 8-Lugs on Whitewalls.

63BonnevilleConvertible.jpg

63BonnevilleInteriorinred.jpg

AMT '63 Lemans Coupe and Convertible, which are restorations of old builts. The coupe is going to be a restomod in Black with a Saddle interior. The wheel trim will be a set modern wheels.

The '63 Lemans Convetible is going to be a replica stock, probably in Nocturne Blue with a Blue interior. The wheel trim will be a set of full wheel covers on Whitewalls.

AMT '62 Bonneville Hardtop and Convertible, which are restorations of old builts. The Hardtop is going to be a replica stock in Silverleaf Green with a Green Tri-Tone interior, while the Convetible is going to be a replica stock, probably in Ensign Blue with a Blue Tri Tone interior. The wheel trim will be a set of correct 8-Lugs on Whitewalls.

MPC '69 Bonneville Hardtop and Convertible, and '69, '70' '71, and '72 Grand Prix Hardtops, which are restorations of old builts.

The '69 Bonneville Hardtop is going to be a replica stock in Verdoro Green/White Vinyl Roof with a White/Black interior, while the '69 Bonneville Convetible is going to be a replica stock, probably in Warwick Blue(light metallic blue) with a White/Black interior. The wheel trim on both will be a set of correct Rally II's on Whitewalls.

The '69 Grand Prix Hardtop will be Catillian Bronze, with a Brown Vinyl Roof and Saddle Interior. The wheel trim will be a set of correct Rally II's on Whitewalls.

The '70 Grand Prix Hardtop will be Starlight Black, with a Black Vinyl Roof and Saddle Interior. The wheel trim will be a set of correct Rally II's on White Lettered Polyglas GT's.

The '71 Grand Prix Hardtop will be Quezal Gold, with a Black Vinyl Roof and Black Interior. The wheel trim will be a set of Honeycomb Wheels on Whitewalls.

The '72 Grand Prix Hardtop will be Anaconda Gold(the MPC Pre-Paint Color), with a Black Vinyl Roof and Black Interior. The wheel trim will be a set of finned wheel covers on whitewalls.

I plan on having these models finished by the time that Pontiac is closed down by GM, which is a year from now.

Ron,

Great idea! With a long term time frame like a year from now, I can handle this one. I'm thinking either a '64-67 GTO or '67-68 Firebird. Most likely the MPC '66 GTO that I barely stared about two years ago. It was a builder that I stripped the paint from and started smoothing the body of its trimwork.

100_1454-vi.jpg

The plan is to build a car similar to this one that was featured in Popular Hot Rodding in 2007.

1966PontiacGTOMoonshined-vi.jpg

Marc

I only had one Pontiac model ('65 2+2) in my collection when GM announced Pontiac's number had come up. (Not counting ANOTHER '65 2+2 I built that my dad now has.)

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckMost/customs/08383.html

Since that time, I've been actively seeking out Tin Indian kits, and I've since finished a '62 Catalina, '65 GP, and that craptastic Trumpeter '60 Bonnie. I have two Goats stashed away- '65 and '04, I'll post them when I can.

Not sure if I could actually participate in a build-off, though- throw me a deadline and I fold like a futon :lol:

After I get done with my Desert Street Runner in the truck build off thing, I planned on starting on my interpretation of a 2010 Pontiac Firebird, so if that will count in this build, you can count me in. In fact I plan on building a 69 GTO Judge in between one of these builds, so you can count that one in too.

Edited by The Red Ranger

Thanks all for the replys. There are some really interesting projects going on there. This should be quite interesting.

I got the resin in today for the '69 G/P and '69 Bonneville HT. The '62's are primed, and needing just a little sink mark filling before I paint tham.

So it's full steam ahead!!!

I plan to get the '63 Bonneville Convertible ready for primer. Something will be painted and photographed by weeks end.

This one got stalled by some other projects, but it was given to me by a good friend and I realized I hadn't uploaded my before/during photos to my Fotki.

Before the Easy Off:

IMG_6321-vi.jpg

IMG_6322-vi.jpg

IMG_6320-vi.jpg

After:

IMG_6325-vi.jpg

It's in primer now, haven't shot photos of it in primer yet. I may steal the wheels I got from Scale Equipment LTD. for my Firebird; I want nice Pontiac rally wheels for this one. I have to figure out what to do w/the vinyl top; it's got some deep scuffs in the pattern...I may sand it smoother and shoot it w/a texture. I'm leaning towards gold body, black top, black/white interior, rally wheels. It's missing the rear bumper filler, I can scratch it w/styrene a lot faster than waiting for a resin repro to get here.

I have the original Revell 69 GTO Judge kit that I have been kicking around forever. I might actually build this kit for this buildoff. And, to add some variety, how about a 91 Grand Prix GTP? I started one of these a couple years ago but never finished it... LMK