Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom license plates

Ryan S.

Hi all.

This maybe old news to some of you but I thought that I would share a web site that has a "license plate generator". You can basically create custom license plates from a variety of years as well as states. Here's the link

Acme License Plate Generator

Here's what I did to make a custom plate:

Generate the plate and save the picture to your computer

Open the picture in a program that will let you manipulate the size of the picture, while maintaining the aspect ratio.

I used MS word and adjusted the plate to the exact in/mm size that I needed.

Then set your printer settings to best possible COLOR settings and print the plate(s) out. I chose to use a bit heavier card stock for a thicker look.

After printing, cut it off the page and trim up the round corners.

From there I just glued it to the spot on the car using Testors liquid glue and brushed over the top of it to kind of seal it. I suppose you could clear or matte coat over it for the look you want. It's that simple. You could always dress it up with some screw heads or a frame, I left it bare this time. Here's my results:

platezoom.jpg

I hope this helps!

This site has examples of plates from across the globe. You'd have to save the photos and use a drawing program to add your own numbers to it.

Bumper stickers ... this site will let you do a custom plate or bumper sticker and you can save the result for printing.

I used this site to make plates for the VW I had while stationed in Germany in the late 60's. I saved a jpeg image of the correct plate and edited it in Photoshop to add my correct plate numbers and then made decals to apply to an aluminum can and cut out the plate. Ryan's method of printing on photo paper is probably much easier for most people and yields a good looking plate.

USAPLate_DSC2220.jpg

Blankplates.com : many plates with no numbers including older state plates. A good start to create your plates.

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

www.blankplates.com ROCKS!

I use Word Perfect and Corel Draw for graphics-intensive stuff because I find it better than Word/Paint, as well as easier to use, and it works very well. I like the plate selection. The only thing I have to do is figure out how to make the registration stickers for the Massachusetts license plates.

I do find it's a bit odd in that I have to copy from Draw into Word Perfect twice to get the number/letter combination to take.

The Special plates, at least the newer ones, have stacked letters starting them. By doing one letter on top of each other in Word Perfect and copying, it takes with no arguments.

I've made a few plates already, and plan on making an entire sheet full of them.

Thanks for finding this one!

Charlie Larkin

• 7 years later...

The ACME website, is a really easy way to make model car license plates. You can actually check out my website for a full tutorial with another option as well. 

http://modelkitbuilder.com/make-model-car-license-plates/

Your tutorial suggests using MS Word, but not everybody has that product. If you have a Windows operating system, you have MS Paint, which is just as effective as MS Word.

Once again, I'll recommend licenseplates.tv - you have to do a screenshot to get the image but the images are sharp enough to reduce to 1/25. Most importantly, the fonts are the most accurate you'll find.

One problem: they dropped the CA, FL and TX plates; if you go to archive.org and pull up an older version of the site you may be able to get the blank templates. I saved the complete alphabet for the CA black plates, so if anyone wants a particular number, post a request and I'll post a set.

Example - Here's the Stone, Woods, Cook Willys:

18186547175_3635518409_o.jpg

Save, shrink, print!

Edited by ChrisBcritter