Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where are the Model Trucks?

I'm jumping on this wagon ! I've got a few of all of the GM and Dodge P/U's that were made from the 1500 to the 3500, and I hated paying $45.00 just a few months ago for a Dodge 3500 and another $25.00 for a Dodge 2500(Snap Kits :P . I have plenty of cars that I have built the Galaxy and scratch built car haulers to carry said cars and only trucks to pull them. I myself like building or having the correct type of truck for the job at hand, something not right about having a trailer with 3 or 4 cars on it and a half ton hitched to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did break down two years ago and bought the 3500 Chevy's that Jada put out in diecast, but not real happy with them since they came in way too low. Nice trucks, but their not work horses ! Although two of them did get brought back out of the weeds to a standard stance and put to Work ! I do hope that if the "BIG TWO" do lend an ear to our pleas, they don't forget to make them in both 2 and 4 wheel drive versions. I'd love to see a two wheel drive version of an 82 K5 so I can duplicate my 1:1. More to the point I'm with you guys on this and hope to see more TRUCK'S not just Suv's of all brands. Oh and one last thing of subject, where's the HHR ? That would make a cool kit as well. My wife has a daily driver that once it's paid off, will have a late model V-8 transplanted into it and turned into rear wheel drive. I Think Year One did a great job making their's and inspired me to make my own. :P

Oh and one last thing of subject, where's the HHR ? That would make a cool kit as well. My wife has a daily driver that once it's paid off, will have a late model V-8 transplanted into it and turned into rear wheel drive. I Think Year One did a great job making their's and inspired me to make my own. B)

THANK YOU!

I was throwing the idea around for my monster truck ideas when I realized: there isn't even an HHR model!

I mean doing a Modern Day delivery car, a modern day hot rod, how would that not appeal to people? I have often considered getting an HHR to drop in a 350 or something, but that's a real life project I will likely never get around to.

for the record I would also like to see more kits of current or at least popular trucks that early bronco seems like a no brainer.and the foreign trucks also seem like a good Idea . but man it sure would be sweet to have some nicely done off road parts .

I emailed a Lindberg rep a couple years ago when the Ramunition and Raminator monster trucks came out asking if Lindberg had any plans of issueing a civilian version of the updated Ram these trucks were based on and he said they were but I haven't seen anything yet. Still patiently waiting.

I would be giddy if a Ram 3500-5500 and F350-550 were issued. Seriously tickled pink I tell you.

Edited by mountaindewd

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting points above, all.

The current F-Series has been for the last 30 years or so, and remains (other than a couple of odd months in the last year and a half) by far the largest selling automotive product of any kind on this continent. The Chevy and Dodge pickups are not too far behind.

Yet for many years now, what sells best in 1/1 scale has not correlated well to what sells in 1/25th scale kits.

This is just my supposition but when the Ford PN96 F150 came out around 1`96-97, there were several different F150 kits done by several different manufacturers and even though the licensing was done to avoid exact same versions across the offerings, I suspect that what business there was, was split across all these tools and everyone did poorly on their return on investment for those tools.

Bottom line,,,,personally I don't expect to see any new (current or recent model) pickup kits soon. BUT I would not be too surprised to eventually see something like a 1961-63 Ford Unibody (new tool), '64-66 Styleside, or '67-72 Bumpside. Of course I would love a '70 Ranchero of the Torino GT kit, but again I think they determined there just wasn't enough interest. And then again, as one of you pointed out above, a Ranchero is really a car, not a truck.

Of course, I never EVER dreamed REvell would do a chopped '49 Merc kit...so best take my information above as nothing more than slightly informed speculation! TIM

PS - there are a ton of GREAT pickup kits out there already. EVer built a Little Red WAgon as a stock A100 (virtually ever part IS in the kit). How about the original issue MPC Dodge D100 Adventurer 4x2's from the early 1970's (you can get 'em on the bay for generally under $100). And yes, both of these are on my personal build list....TB

I think it matters squat what I want… all that matters is what will sell. As others have stated, I think a late- 50’s to mid 60’s Ford Pickup would be possibly the best. A special nod goes to the unibody. I think the truck has the style and character that it takes to catch the eye of the buying public.

The second tip of the hat would go to the Series One Bronco. Just be sure to throw something extra in the box that is really unique… I’m not even sure what. Maybe a snowplow, maybe a trailer, maybe something else. The Bronco would be a slightly bigger risk, however. I still think the Ford mentioned above is the safest bet.

Whatever they choose, I want to be among the first to thank the model manufacturers in advance!

I emailed a Lindberg rep a couple years ago when the Ramunition and Raminator monster trucks came out asking if Lindberg had any plans of issueing a civilian version of the updated Ram these trucks were based on and he said they were but I haven't seen anything yet. Still patiently waiting.

I would be giddy if a Ram 3500-5500 and F350-550 were issued. Seriously tickled pink I tell you.

I know I would love to see more trucks. Maybe they wouldn't sell well, who knows, but I would sure buy a bunch for what it's worth. I built a 91 F250, and the 99 Lightning, and also the 92 F150 Stepside...even if it was a resin kit, I've always wanted a 92-96 model Bronco. (metallic blue with a white top, just like the real one my dad used to have ;) )

i'm sure the marketing departments of both Revell and Round2/AMT have a better idea of what is going to sell well and what the modelers want to buy than we do.

some of you guys just need to stop for a moment and look at what you are asking for. while you may like something, it's quite possible that you are in the minority of those who would, maybe even the ONLY person :lol: i'm not trying to pick a fight or call anyone in particular out, just make a point.

why do the companies keep making '57 Chevy and '32 Ford kits? because they sell well and appeal to a very wide range of buyers. if the demand was truly there for some of these trucks, they'd be on the shelves.

Dave

Unfortunately, it's sort of a "Catch 22". The only polling that means a darned thing is that conducted at the cash register, when model truck kits are purchased--the last go-round, it seems, must have been a rather poor showing, sales-wise.

Like it or not (and perhaps most of us, were we in the position of product planning would come to understand), when ideas for new model kits get thrown around in the conference rooms, the subject of "how many of the last one did we sell, and how long did it take us to sell the run?" If those numbers, and the sell-through time were good, chances are we would see more kits of the same venue, but if not, then likely not.

It's one thing to drum up support here on the message boards, but generally, we see what, perhaps a couple of dozen responses when someone asks this sort of question? It takes rather sure knowledge that a proposed new model kit will sell in the 10's of thousands were it to be tooled and produced, and that is truly where a product manager earns his or her pay. And for sure, no poll that requires respondents to take the time to answer can be truly held to be valid--polls for figuring statistically the interest in a proposed new product idea really have to come from randomly gathered information, information that is given freely, on a "when asked" basis--pretty much the same way that CNN, Gallup and other pollsters gather the information which they report to all of us. In other words, I would not, were I in the position of gauging interest in a specific new product idea, even seriously consider a polling question put forth on a model car message board.

Sorry, but I've been on the other side of the factory door in the hobby for too many years, I guess.

Art

yeah i agree lets email them a letter sayin' how we would like some kits to be produced and maybe put everyones name on it or put the thread web site address so they can see what , we the customer, would like to see. ;)

I was thinking along the same lines, but instead of one person e-mailing them, we put together one letter we can mostly agree on and ALL of us send the same e-mail everyday until someone gets a reply.......... Thats the only way to get someone or someTHING to listen in the money world anymore. Over in the 32 post about Revell watching that ONE thread really makes me kinda sick to think that that is THE only post they're watching, And another thing.......... Anyone who knows anything about marketing and business growth knows the NUMBER 1 rule to staying alive or blowing up is..............................................................................

........ ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!! And not just in model magazines where there dimographic is already there........ They need to expand their horizons and go after ppl who dont know much about the hobby in the first place!!! I can speak from experience when I talk about ppl not knowing about the largeness of this hobby. I didn't know anything about the hugeness of this hobby until I ran across THIS VERY website. Revell and AMT should really be paying closer attention to this site and others like it. Especially if they want to please their customers and appeal to the rest of the market.

AND THEY REALLY NEED TO START PLACING THE CHROME PARTS WHERE THE SRUE ISN'T ON THE FRONT OF THE F#$@*^!@ PART!!!!!!!! I can understand the old kits..... but not the new kits. Even the JAPANESE companies know to place the sprue on the back or where it wont be seen!!! I AM SICK OF STRIPPING AND REPAINTING CHROME!!!!!!!!

When was the last time anyone was ask by a model company what we wanted? I have never in 40 years of building models ever had one company ask that question in any way shape or form. Just who do they ask? When, where and how? For one thing the model companies have limited their own selves by the shear lack of advertising . They also have done nothing to legitimize this hobby as something worth while. People still think they are toys. With the lack of very few new model trucks or cars of today. How would you expect to get very many young people to buy old models that they do not relate to?

To take a page from my life experience--for nearly 3 years I was in product development at Playing Mantis, developing new castings for Johnny Lightning 1/64 diecast miniature cars. OK, so where's the similarity to model car kits? Well, considering that JL cars had then, and still do have, a very active collector customer base, we used to get bombarded with requests, even downright demands, that we produce such and such "because everybody wants them". Well now, just who is "everybody" anyway? "I know I would buy one" (or two or a dozen), "all my buddies want this one!" are very nebulous statements, but we used to get letters by the dozen, written with claims such as these. However, the first one is personal, one person's opinion, the second one is a bit less personal, but just how many people does the average person know really well? (saw a statistic from the funeral industry several years back, that the average adult in the US knows perhaps 150 people, from all walks of life) Seriously though, "all my buddies" can mean anywhere from 2 or 3, to perhaps a dozen or so close model building friends, but certainly no large crowd.

We did, of course, record such requests, put them in a database, just to give us a gauge as to where the interest might be for any particular subject, even though the numbers for any given subject were rather small, perhaps the highest interest generating around 50 so tops. More was gleaned from watching what collectors actually were doing, what models were selling and how fast (called the "sell through" rate). Subjects or types of subjects that generated consistently strong sell-throughs always did generate intense interest in playing off the numbers, they did generate new diecast subjects that fit into that category. Others, though, were great sales disappointments, even though there might have been intense market interest when we introduced the casting, we called those "peg warmers" (after all, blister cards hang on pegboard hooks in the stores). In short, deciding which new subjects to produce was as much a ###### shoot as a guarranteed winner a lot of the time.

Let's take a look at model car kits: Both AMT and Revell put out some pretty nice (for their time) pickup kits in the early 1960's, AMT doing a series of Chevy's and Fords in their annual series of 3in1 kits, spun off, as with nearly all those annual model kits, from promotional model tooling--if the Detroit Big Three and AMC ordered up a promo, more than likely that model got released as a kit, after some modification of the tooling. Revell introduced their '56 Ford F-100 pickup as a regular model kit, not sprung from promotional model tooling, in the fall of 1962. But, those early pickup kits sorta laid a big egg--they weren't repeated for very long. AMT continued their Chevy pickup promo's through 1972, with a GMC dropped into the line for '72, and spun 3in1 tooling off of those--but I am here to tell you that those kits never set any sales records, as late as 1984, when I was stocking my soon-to-open hobby shop, I found cases of many of those kits gathering dust in one of Chicago's largest and most prestigious hobby wholesale warehouses. That's not the stuff that highly popular (when produced) model kits are made of, frankly. The same was true of MPC's Chevy, GMC, and Dodge pickups of the late 1970's--no matter how many ways they could modifiy that bank of tooling, sales dwindled. Revell, AMT, Monogram and MPC all did kits of the then-very-popular Mini Pickups (Isuzu/Chevy LUV, Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, Dodge D50, first generation Ford Rangers) but they really didn't fly off shelves either. When hobby wholesalers and mass retailers wind up with product that just gathers dust in the warehouse for months, if not years, they just aren't gonna be very receptive to being asked to buy more of them, even if all new, stunning tooling--"Once burned, twice shy" really does have meaning here.

Monogram did an excellent pair of '92 Ford extended cab pickups in that year, they went nowhere very fast. AMT and Lindberg each did very nice kits of the mid-1990's Ford F150, but those didn't really take off into even stardom on the sales charts either.

Years ago, AMT and Monogram did a lot of print advertising, in magazines like Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod & Custom, Boy's Life and such--however, it wasn't many years before the magazine industry began to charge first an arm, then and arm and a leg, then one's first-born son for even a half page ad, and with all the catalog style ads from car oriented suppliers making up the bulk of pages in magazines, even a single full page ad for model cars would have generated little in the way of increased sales, while eating up an awful lot of money. It's that way across much of the model and hobby industry. Model car kit price points tend to limit advertising budgets as well--in the days of Wally World, KMart etc carrying a full aisle of model kits, those companies were very much in the driver's seat when the subject of MSRP would come up. If you wanted to gain a toehold in their stores, you played THEIR game, made your model kits to THEIR price, or, fuggedaboudit. Those price points didn't leave much room for any advertising outside of the modeling press. TV advertising? Even a bare bones, basic TV commercial can cost at least $100,000 to produce, and every time it's run, the actors involved, even if only voiceovers, get at least a small residual payment, on top of the wage they got paid to make the commercial in the first place--and TV airtime, even on cable, is expensive, the most expensive form of advertising there is.

It's that way with the majority of items you see in any large retailer--only a relative handful of products see much in the way of advertising, the bucks just aren't there for any comprehensive ad campaign.

Just a few of the problems that face not only model kit manufacturers, but other relatively small producers of consumer goods as well.

Art

A few comments...

I don't always agree with Art Anderson but I've got to say that his post (immediately before this one) corresponds very closely to my own experience. Both Art and I have been fortunate enough to have been involved both as modelers and as so-called "insiders" in that we've had ongoing interaction with the management of the model companies for over 30 years. I realize that Art's insights are not what all of you want to hear, but they are based on the reality of the world we live in today.

In response to "who has ever been asked about what model they would like by the model companies"? Well, for one, I have. Many times, in fact. Sometimes my suggestions have been taken, many times they have not. I know of many model car builders and writers who have also been consulted by the model makers. It would be naive to the extreme to suggest that one person, or even a group of people, alone could influence what the model companies decide to produce. But taken as a whole, with the other sources of input (as desribed by Art above), a model company can eventually get pretty clear direction on what types of kits to produce.

Someone above states that they are upset that the thread on the '32 Ford is the only input Revell is watching. WRONG. Both the staff of Revell and AMT/Round 2 watch many threads on these boards from time to time. And on occasion, if I see a thread, that is in my view helpful and presents a fresh and realistic viewpoint, I will send the guys at the model companies the link to the thread with my comments. I thought the Ken Hart-led thread on the '32 Ford kit was exceptionally well done, with honest, realistic debate and taken from the prospective of trying to find new versions of an established best-selling kit that would continue the revenue stream for Revell. That's why I sent it to them, and they acknowledged that they had reviewed it. But it was far from the only thread that they have looked at over the years.

And as for the model companies not getting deeply enough into the market to understand it, I quite frankly find that to be a really uninformed statement. As mentioned above, I've dealt on and off with the kit manufacturers for over thirty years now, and I can NEVER recall a time when the management of the respective companies are more aware of their target audience and their wants as they are as of today. The simple fact that, instead of reissuing the same '32 Ford and '06 Mustang GT kits over and over again with just different box art and decals (cue Revell, MPC, Monogram, and AMT-Ertl practices in the 1970's and 1980-'s), we now get not only new, different bodies but new engines, new interiors, and new wheels on top of everything else. This is a HUGE step in the right direction. Likewise, with the PN 96 F150, between the various kitmakers we got long bed, short bed, supercab, SVT Lightning, and Harley Davidson versions (the last with a truly cool DynaGlide Custom bike to boot). The Chevy Silverado got a follow-up version with a Thom Taylor-designed set of custom parts and a jet ski. And if you've bought any of the recent Round 2 versions of the AMT kit reissues, the way those kits have been designed (box art, decals, "extras") clearly communicates that they understand, exceedingly well, their target audience. As they get some success under their belts, I would expect we will soon see newly-tooled kit derivatives from AMT Round 2 as well.

Do I have kit suggestions I've made that have never come to pass? Sure. For one, I find it truly astounding that we have not seen a ground-up, done right, new tool of the 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda. Between the multiple possible stock versions and the licensed drag racing spinoffs, this one seems like a home run to me. But in spite of my best persuasive efforts, conveyed over a number of years, nothing. Likewise, I can understand, in retrospect, the comment about the 5.0L Mustang notchback, but the fact is that, when these were new, they did not have the attention and the market presence that would have suggested a kit version, and today, the relatively narrow but intense interest in this kit subject would just not be big enough to justify such a kit. Wish I was wrong here, but what we all have to remember is that the model car manufacturers are in business. To make money, to pay their employees and suppliers, to pay dividends for their shareholders, and to generate enough retained earnings to assure the ongoing survival and success of their enterprises. And if they conclude that there is not enough business in pickup trucks, in '70 Hemi Cudas, in 5.0L Fox Mustangs, and in restored stock '32 Ford kits, based on their track record of the last ten years then I guess I've got to step up and say, personal wants aside, they probably made the right decision.

What do do, then, if you want to build a new pickup kit? There are litterally hundreds, probably over a thousand different truck kits that have been issued over the last 50 years. How many of those have you already built? Yeah. just what I thought. So get to your store, get to eBay.com, or your nearest swap meet, buy one of the hundreds of pickup kits that you have not built do date, get busy, and post pictures of the finished models here. I, for one, can't wait to seem 'em.

Thanks for taking the time to read this....TIM

A few comments...

I don't always agree with Art Anderson but I've got to say that his post (immediately before this one) corresponds very closely to my own experience. Both Art and I have been fortunate enough to have been involved both as modelers and as so-called "insiders" in that we've had ongoing interaction with the management of the model companies for over 30 years. I realize that Art's insights are not what all of you want to hear, but they are based on the reality of the world we live in today.

In response to "who has ever been asked about what model they would like by the model companies"? Well, for one, I have. Many times, in fact. Sometimes my suggestions have been taken, many times they have not. I know of many model car builders and writers who have also been consulted by the model makers. It would be naive to the extreme to suggest that one person, or even a group of people, alone could influence what the model companies decide to produce. But taken as a whole, with the other sources of input (as desribed by Art above), a model company can eventually get pretty clear direction on what types of kits to produce.

Someone above states that they are upset that the thread on the '32 Ford is the only input Revell is watching. WRONG. Both the staff of Revell and AMT/Round 2 watch many threads on these boards from time to time. And on occasion, if I see a thread, that is in my view helpful and presents a fresh and realistic viewpoint, I will send the guys at the model companies the link to the thread with my comments. I thought the Ken Hart-led thread on the '32 Ford kit was exceptionally well done, with honest, realistic debate and taken from the prospective of trying to find new versions of an established best-selling kit that would continue the revenue stream for Revell. That's why I sent it to them, and they acknowledged that they had reviewed it. But it was far from the only thread that they have looked at over the years.

And as for the model companies not getting deeply enough into the market to understand it, I quite frankly find that to be a really uninformed statement. As mentioned above, I've dealt on and off with the kit manufacturers for over thirty years now, and I can NEVER recall a time when the management of the respective companies are more aware of their target audience and their wants as they are as of today. The simple fact that, instead of reissuing the same '32 Ford and '06 Mustang GT kits over and over again with just different box art and decals (cue Revell, MPC, Monogram, and AMT-Ertl practices in the 1970's and 1980-'s), we now get not only new, different bodies but new engines, new interiors, and new wheels on top of everything else. This is a HUGE step in the right direction. Likewise, with the PN 96 F150, between the various kitmakers we got long bed, short bed, supercab, SVT Lightning, and Harley Davidson versions (the last with a truly cool DynaGlide Custom bike to boot). The Chevy Silverado got a follow-up version with a Thom Taylor-designed set of custom parts and a jet ski. And if you've bought any of the recent Round 2 versions of the AMT kit reissues, the way those kits have been designed (box art, decals, "extras") clearly communicates that they understand, exceedingly well, their target audience. As they get some success under their belts, I would expect we will soon see newly-tooled kit derivatives from AMT Round 2 as well.

Do I have kit suggestions I've made that have never come to pass? Sure. For one, I find it truly astounding that we have not seen a ground-up, done right, new tool of the 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda. Between the multiple possible stock versions and the licensed drag racing spinoffs, this one seems like a home run to me. But in spite of my best persuasive efforts, conveyed over a number of years, nothing. Likewise, I can understand, in retrospect, the comment about the 5.0L Mustang notchback, but the fact is that, when these were new, they did not have the attention and the market presence that would have suggested a kit version, and today, the relatively narrow but intense interest in this kit subject would just not be big enough to justify such a kit. Wish I was wrong here, but what we all have to remember is that the model car manufacturers are in business. To make money, to pay their employees and suppliers, to pay dividends for their shareholders, and to generate enough retained earnings to assure the ongoing survival and success of their enterprises. And if they conclude that there is not enough business in pickup trucks, in '70 Hemi Cudas, in 5.0L Fox Mustangs, and in restored stock '32 Ford kits, based on their track record of the last ten years then I guess I've got to step up and say, personal wants aside, they probably made the right decision.

What do do, then, if you want to build a new pickup kit? There are litterally hundreds, probably over a thousand different truck kits that have been issued over the last 50 years. How many of those have you already built? Yeah. just what I thought. So get to your store, get to eBay.com, or your nearest swap meet, buy one of the hundreds of pickup kits that you have not built do date, get busy, and post pictures of the finished models here. I, for one, can't wait to seem 'em.

Thanks for taking the time to read this....TIM

Almost forgot....one of you cmmented "AND THEY REALLY NEED TO START PLACING THE CHROME PARTS WHERE THE SRUE ISN'T ON THE FRONT OF THE F#$@*^!@ PART"

Well...actually, they already have. Check out the new chrome sprues on the '32 Ford Five Window kit. Done exactly as you suggested. And when I complimented them on this, they said that they've actually been doing this, wherever possible, on new kit parts for the last couple of years.

TIM

;):blink:

Thanks to both Tim and Art for the excellent info provided here. The bottom line is why can't any of these companies open up dialog with all of us little guys...something like a regular posting and answers to questions on one of these forums....seems to me to be solid marketing in this computer driven day.

I have some questions for those that say trucks are sales losers.

If they do so poorly then why have we seen so many in the past?

There have been quite a few truck kits over the years so they can't have all lost money. Several of these kits have also been re-issued multiple times, so again must have done well enough.

Since they clearly have been popular enough in the past why have we not seen any recently, what has changed?

Edited by Aaronw

I totally understand the logic that a company wants to do whatever they can to make money and retooling a kit they know sells well instead of creating a brand new one they can't be for sure would sell is the quickest way to make money but that wont help the hobby. At the time when I felt there was the most choice in model kits was in the mid 90's and that was the point I felt the hobby was at it's peak (so far). I also say that there are kits that do pretty well right now that may not sell as well if people had more to chose from. It's sort of a lack of options type thing. IF people could choose from a New Dodge pick up, a new F-150 or Super Duty or New Silverado or Suburban, maybe the kits that bring in the cash wouldn't be as effective or perhaps they would but there is no denying that the truck kits would move as quickly.

With a new F-150 they could retool that to sell the new Raptor, that Ford truck that is like a stock Desert Runner.

You could create a standard set of off road tires and offer a 2nd version of the kits to be the offroad version.

How many people would custom make a new SRT/10 pickup or the Super Bee?

For the seemingly rare monster truck fans like myself it would finally offer the correct body style for an accurate Bigfoot, or simply offer modern body styles to make your own monsters with.

Aren't these positive reasons? The only speculative reason I can think not to put a few more trucks on the market is the chance they wont sell and I don't think that's right, I think they would sell, but sometimes aren't things about taking chances? Don't take a jump and put something new out instead of reissuing old kits that sold well? Variety is the spice of life.