Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

MikeMc, next time I see you at the show, I'm going to ask you to walk me through how you do that! I've never ever been able to capture that kind of sparkle in any of my pictures of that same vehicle.

What's the use of putting a little extra bling in a model if you are not going to see it in the pictures.

Yes, Harry, it's refrigerator "heavy"! :D

Hey Virgil, for your "wet look" shots, couldn't you just take a large flat sheet of plastic, paint it gloss black and then shoot a bunch of clear on it and polish it out? You could move it to where you wanted it and your model wouldn't get wet! Just a suggestion.

Here are some pictures of a 40 Ford that I did working again with Photoshop.

These first two are pictures of the car out in the field. The field is a park and I painted the car in the picture.

40ford9a.jpg

40ford8b.jpg

In this next one I was going for a car sunk down in the weeds.

40ford18a.jpg

This last one is the car setting on the rocks when it accually is setting on a dresser.

40ford16a.jpg

Dan

Yes, but what I meant to ask really was are there any new updates?

No.

I just wanted to give guys a very basic overview as to how PS works in regards to actually creating an illustration from scratch. As far as the photo editing side of PS, there are a MILLION things I could go into, above and beyond that basic "PS 101" topic. But if anyone really wants to learn that side of PS, they're probably better off buying a book on the subject, or checking out all the various online tutorials already out there.

Luke, I don't mean to bust your chops, so don't be offended... but your photo reminds me a lot of the typical photo I get submitted for the contest issue. Almost always, the model is so dark and murky that you can't really see anything except a silhouette. If you lit your shot better, your photo could have looked like this:

69Chevelle.jpg

I may have overdone it a bit to make my point, and I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but your photo perfectly illustrates the problem I have to deal with all the time. I spend SO much time retouching photos before they get into the magazine, you'd be amazed. Too many people don't realize that there's more to shooting a model than a clean backdrop. Lighting is the most critical variable of all.

No offence taken Harry,

I realise you are just trying to point out that lighting is the most important aspect of shooting quality pics.

Thanks, Harry. You know, I think this summer I WILL look into getting a couple of books on the subject and maybe brush up on some of the basic skills. My interest in Photoshop is not to do illustration, it's only to be able to play with photographs the way so many do here. It looks like tremendous fun.

Yes Virgil, it is a lot fun, but, you can get into a tight spot ifin ya don't be careful. Once, a friend of my wife's had a picture of her family without one of her sons in it and asked me if I could take out her son's ex-girl friend and put him in her slot, and I said that I could. Well, when he came home one time, he saw the picture on the wall and said "I don't remember being in that picture" and she told him what was done to the picture and he didn't like it. Oh well, you can't please everyone. :(:) Dan