Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

Does that mean you might wear the one piece PJs out there? Very scary!!!

Jim, I'm trying my best not to get arrested! :lol:

Virgil, those latest photos you posted are excellent. The way you set the camera angle, the way the diorama blends seamlessly with the "real" background... those photos could pass as "real." B)

Thank you, Harry. I am going to take a whole bunch more tomorrow. This stuff gets to be addictive.

Dr. Cranky wrote: "Chuck, what is it about being outside with your models you hesitate over?"

To that, I add a sidebar---> Beware Shooting in the Full Sun!

I took this shot out in the sun when I realized that there IS no light source, other than the sun, that can produce those sharp defined shadows convincingly. I set up the tabletop and "set pieces" outside, put the car and figures in place before I went to the camera to adjust settings. I swear, not more than two minutes later I was set up, framed and ready to go! A small nudge to the car and ... and ... it was hotter than s**t! I quickly moved it to the shade where it cooled. After that, it was frame the shot, put the car and figures in place for a few seconds, expose the film (it was nineties), then move them back to the shade. The sun can be hot! (doh)

To the right of my shot is a shot of the real thing.

PS: Haha MikeMc, I must have been at least 30 feet tall here!

Oh yeah, Roger, you have to wear a hat, keep the sun off. Usually I find the best times are either in the morning or mid afternoon, but if you want those shadows, then yes, you are going to have to brave the heat.

Great pictures though.

So this morning I set up shot earlier in the same spot and took about another 80 pictures, most of them not as good as I had expected, but I did get some interesting ones:

45-vi.jpg

I even lit a stoggie and played around with smoke:

056-vi.jpg

070-vi.jpg

I think next time I return I will probably do a shoot during a sunny day . . . hoping the light will be better for the pics.

Too many of them turned out blurry . . .

072-vi.jpg

The beauty of digital is that you can go crazy shooting as many pictures as you want, and then you cull down to the ones you like.

Mike, you and Harry always amaze me with your PS magic. Thanks for the kind words. I think this stuff is just as much fun as building models. You can quickly burn through several memory cards playing with photos.

I hope people will continue to share and post their PHOTO experiments and fun here . . .

Dr. C., the image is rather old (like it's maker lol), it was done in the nineties and you are right, you saw it as part it of a futuristic F1 garage diorama I did. No fotki or picasa, but my website rogersmodels.com has all the stuff. Thanks for the kind words :)

PS: MikeMc: NIce set of pictures ;-) You are good.