Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

Thanks Doctor .. notice the mottled sky however. The laser print was decent, but if instead I took the file to a place like Fedex Office (Kinkos) and outputted the file on one of their color machines (cheap, a couple of dollars) the sky would have been much smoother. Here's another shot of it on just a grey-colored paper sweep.

Also, tiny, easy-to-do details can fool the eye into thinking a model's real. On this one the valve stems, made of small wire, help do this. And if I had thought to thin down and sharpen up the hinges, that would have helped too.

post-9361-0-34730800-1329805259_thumb.jp

Edited by Rmodeler

Jonathan,

Also, if you have a craft store near you, or an art supply store, maybe pick up some sheets of colored paper, greys, tans, whatever strikes you.

These are cheap and great to have on hand for sweeps. Also a yard or so of black velvet is good to have around (velour?) .. that is, if you are into black backgrounds. The texture of the fabric absorbs light and makes shooting easier.

Roger

Cool Hand's photos are great. They remind me of pixs a friend of mine takes on the roof of his grey car. I don't understand why a lot of people take pixs on their hoods and roofs, especially when they're red and yellow, but this grey seems to work. I guess we could always test drive a grey car on photo day.

gallery_5771_306_23593.jpg

Skip makes a great point, of course, about getting the "basics" down first. But, after the basics, every model builder moves on to the level of exploration this thread is trying to get at, and many of you are there already, having fun with your cameras.

Harry, I thought of you and your comments about figures, and here's a diorama by a master builder (Per Olav Lund) who always tells some interesting stories in his work.

25582_1423841477206_1267825827_1156181_256490_n.jpg

That is just 3D art on a grand scale Doc ....

At this turn, no discussion on dioramas would be complete without mentioning Shepard Paine and Louis Pruneau. For those of you who haven't heard of these two masters you will see amazing (ofc) museum quality pieces. Both deans of the art along with Ken (Hamilton).

At this turn, no discussion on dioramas would be complete without mentioning Shepard Paine and Louis Pruneau. For those of you who haven't heard of these two masters you will see amazing (ofc) museum quality pieces. Both deans of the art along with Ken (Hamilton).

I love Shepards works...

dioramagm0.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

shep.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

• 1 year later...

I would suggest you don't use flash. Do use a tripod and make up some floods to get the illumination you want. This is shot with a Nikon Coolpix L4, using 3, 25watt (100 watt incandescent equivalent) compact fluorescents on swing-arm reflectors for lighting. The camera is on a tripod for stability, and the "museum" setting, using autofocus.

DSCN5585.jpg

The lighting setup is very simple and cheap...

DSCN6175.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Im using sunlight, a tripod and the two second timer to avoid the slight shake when you push the button. no flash, I didnt change the exposure, or aperature. It is slightly overcast today, which may influence the photo..

this is a 79 Camaro in scalefinishes Candy apple red with aluminum metallic basecoat, and duplicor clear, polished to 12000, and waxed with zymol.

I feel neither the glossy finish or the Brilliant Candy apple red was captured in these photos. I still need to remove the polish from the panel lines and give em a quick wash.

DSCN2658_zps29a2c35a.jpg

DSCN2659_zps20be4ce0.jpg