Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

Whether it's Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or a wide variety of good (and cheaper) photo editing software, you can save a lot of agony by doing the best lighting you can up front. I remember, back in the day, when I worked with an ad agency art director who had once been in charge of shooting the Mercedes-Benz catalogs; at the time, Mercedes prohibited ANY retouching on the photos of their cars, and this was in the early 70s before computer retouching was available. To get the perfect shots, the agency and photographer had a large staff of people to set up lighting and were continually polishing and dusting the cars. That was particularly tough if you had a location in the mountains or desert, where dust was flying and light conditions were changing by the minute -- especially during the preferred "Golden Hour," when the sun was close to setting at a lower angle, and the colors were warmer on the background. But even on location, the cars had heavy lighting, with scrims and reflectors all around. And it all had to be done so you didn't see equipment and people reflected in the car's paint or chrome.

Edited by sjordan2

Light....You can learn it....though it takes years to understand it....If you want to learn lighting, set up some crystal and a number of different backgrounds....I shot over 500 negatives years ago, the way the light falls, fills, and shows details is the key...now with digital....lot less expense and also quicker.

Photoshop can pull details out of under and over exposed images...in fact HDR images use all modes combined....almost like the "Zone System" in old B&W days....full tonal range.

Light....You can learn it....though it takes years to understand it....If you want to learn lighting, set up some crystal and a number of different backgrounds....I shot over 500 negatives years ago, the way the light falls, fills, and shows details is the key...now with digital....lot less expense and also quicker.

Photoshop can pull details out of under and over exposed images...in fact HDR images use all modes combined....almost like the "Zone System" in old B&W days....full tonal range.

Yes, I love those HDR images, very revolutionary in the capabilities of today's photography. I bet you were among the old school of photographers who used a bank of strobe lights and had to wait until the transparencies were processed to see what you got, without getting an immediate look on a laptop. I've always been amazed at the capabilities of pros who use strobes.

Yes, I love those HDR images, very revolutionary in the capabilities of today's photography. I bet you were among the old school of photographers who used a bank of strobe lights and had to wait until the transparencies were processed to see what you got, without getting an immediate look on a laptop. I've always been amazed at the capabilities of pros who use strobes.

Nope we used Polaroid backs for test shots......then got out the chromes

I still have my Flash Meter....never had to guess on exposure even when adding or subtracting heads.

Speaking of Photoshop, Here is some fun I had with a picture of My Daughter and her boyfriend before their winter formal...

IMG_3547a-vi.jpg

With this in mind, what us to stop someone with similar skills from entering a photo contest like the Revell/Gearz contest and using photo shop to fix a glue mark, over-spray or other slight imperfection on their model before submitting the photo?

What's so funny? I got married in all black Converse High-Tops! BTW I'm not really that fat...The camera adds ten pounds, and there were at least a dozen pointed at me, so that's what? 120 pounds?

IMG_3229-vi.jpg

So where are the baptizing shots in the pond? I bet you look even skinnier soaking wet :P

Speaking of Photoshop, Here is some fun I had with a picture of My Daughter and her boyfriend before their winter formal...

IMG_3547a-vi.jpg

With this in mind, what us to stop someone with similar skills from entering a photo contest like the Revell/Gearz contest and using photo shop to fix a glue mark, over-spray or other slight imperfection on their model before submitting the photo?

I was working with some lighting today, and it made me think of watching Doug Whyte at the NNL East a couple of years ago.

I don't know of any other photographer who is at his level.

I would love to spend a week just watching what he does, how he does it, and the post-production and of course, the actual setup of the lighting for shots.

With that, I added a second strobe to the soft box, and it made a big difference.

I'll try to post before and after shots, but I just wanted to put my two cents in, for what it's worth...

post-3-0-44160300-1329293239_thumb.jpg