Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

ok, this thread is taking a real detour from what it started to be about.

We were talking about photography techniques, not Photoshop trickery.

Anyone who has a basic knowledge of Photoshop can alter a photo... we all know that. But we should stick to the topic at hand, which is how to refine your actual photography techniques, not how to doctor an existing photo using Photoshop. That's a completely different subject.

Just to add to the fray, I would just like to point out that my photo source is a shabby ZTE android phone. No focus, no light correction, so EVERYTHING has to be done post-shoot for me. If you wonder why I go so long without posts, then flood whichever thread I'm posting in with pics, that's why. I edit mine in batches, and even then, I'm better at ART work, not tweaking for fine detail.

....I'd love me one of them Canon Powershots, Doc. All the details I pour into my builds would LOVE to be seen finally :P

ok, this thread is taking a real detour from what it started to be about.

We were talking about photography techniques, not Photoshop trickery.

Anyone who has a basic knowledge of Photoshop can alter a photo... we all know that. But we should stick to the topic at hand, which is how to refine your actual photography techniques, not how to doctor an existing photo using Photoshop. That's a completely different subject.

You are right, Harry, I am hoping others will chime in with their experiences, ideas, and examples.

Still though, Mike, thank you for the great picture. I have saved it to my files. Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind.

You are right, Harry, I am hoping others will chime in with their experiences, ideas, and examples.

Still though, Mike, thank you for the great picture. I have saved it to my files. Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind.

I guess I missed the point then :unsure: So I pulled the Playing out of the thread. What I did was show that you can't always get everything out of the camera..sometimes its after the shot. -_-

Hey Virgil,

Just thought id share a way that I like to take pics of my builds outdoors sometimes.

Its not really next level or an elaborate set up, but I feel its a cool way of getting a different type of pic.

Basically I just hose down the concrete which forms a shallow puddle,which helps to capture reflections of the model.

Image013.jpg

impala6111.jpg

92tbird2.jpg

That is very cool.

I have just ordered a light tent and I am sure my models will make it inside of it as well as stuff for macro work.

1970buickwildcatcomplete31.jpg

completedcustomchopperoutdoorpics43.jpg

Dr Kranky Sir, I personally couldn't care what anyone else says, I love your tutorials, so please keep them coming...

Coolhand, I think your method is truely brilliant, the photos are extremely realistic, they look so much better than ones I have seen of real cars in magazines...

Top marks to you both...

Great thread Cranky and even greater eye candy. All the techniques posted have their advantages.

I've tried everything from a simple flat black board for a background ...

100_3669-vi.jpg

... or a sheet ...

100_1084-vi.jpg

... to building a diorama to use as a back drop...

100_1856-vi.jpg

26523-vi.jpg

... but I have found the use of forced perspective to be the simpleist and most effective for me.

000_6329-vi.jpg

I use a piece of plywood painted with texture paint to look like asphalt.

Then set it on top of the bed of my 1/1 pickup with my pasture as the background.

It brings the model up to a comfortable level to stand while shooting and puts the background into perspective.

000_6301-vi.jpg

Simple but effective. No fancy camera (Kodak 4mp CX7430) just the sun for lighting and some creative cropping in the Kodak software that came with the camera. I tried photoshop once but I'm to old and feeble minded to figure it out.

Most of my photography of my models is done inside. I've used white paper for some:

32FordJalopy2.jpg

Here I used an old dining table quilted underlay...not happy with the results...not sure which camera I used but the results were not as I'd hoped.

1958Corvettem.jpg

and my garage diorama for most lately:

Outdoors on one occasion:

SpeedShop06-1.jpg

SpeedShop01-1.jpg

Indoors most of the time:

09Challenger028.jpg

SpeedShop15-1.jpg

SpeedShopView030.jpg

There is an interior, so as I progress with working on the inside, I'll be able to use that as well for variety:

ModelsSpeedShop02.jpg

For lighting I use a 100w spot light set back about 10 feet from the subject to represent the sun...I clip it to my over the workbench dual tube flourescent hanging light as it provides a simple light source. My wife has a light box which I haven't taken time to play with yet and it has two lights for the box lighting.

My camera is a Canon PowerShot S3IS, 6.0 megapixels. I use a tripod, set the timer to avoid camera shake from depressing the shutter button and the macro setting. I do on occasion use the flash to fill and have used a paper deflector taped to the camera to try different effects by bouncing the flash. I'm sure there are other ideas out there too! I use the higher resolution on the camera, use ZoomBrowser EX to trim the shots and make any adjustments to brightness and contrast, then shrink the pictures in Paint.

Here's one without the flash (the girls I found in a sale bin...they are Spice Girls...the dog was in a dollar store set)

2011-08-24-SVOMustang056.jpg

Similar shot but with the flash

2011-08-24-SVOMustang057.jpg

I hope I've given someone some ideas and a bit of help or inspiration.

Edited by Tony T