Model Cars Magazine Forum

Taking pictures of your models

Jairus

DSCF5206-vi.jpg

OK... there's no model car in this photo, but this photo is one of the rare ones where there is absolutely nothing that gives it away as a model. Everything is perfect. Obviously Chuck has a keen eye for detail... look at the realistic grass clumps, perfectly in scale... the detail of how the poured concrete stoop looks along the edges, perfectly recreating how the concrete would have been poured into a wooden form... the rust on the gas pump, the way the bottoms of the garage doors are rotting away, the perfectly in-scale peeling paint on the building. This is a case where no detail was overlooked, no matter how small. And that's why this can easily pass for "real"... because no detail has been overlooked and everything, every last detail, is in scale.

Harry, that's precisely what a builder like Chuck Doan thrives on . . . all his builds seem to me to be working towards this goal of extremely realism, and lots of Chuck's builds are in 1/48th scale. This one, of course, is 1/24th. I think. Chuck can chime in if I am wrong. ;)

This thread really fired me up about taking my new work out into the woods and seeing if I could take some nice shots . . . (I'm still in the process of photographing the models. I have all the equipment in the car and the setting for this is not far from the house, so I'm having fun).

Here's the setting/backdrop . . .and the best part is that these last few days have been overcast and really dreary, which is perfect.

019-vi.jpg

This is an abandoned subdivision where they laid down new pavement and opened the lots, and then they ran out of money . . .the story of the economy today.

When you look at this next picture, I hope it light a fire under your own seat ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) because I'm telling you there's no better way to feel like a kid again than to go out into the woods (into the field, as surveyors call it) and play with your toys.

015-vi.jpg

When you do this, here are some important recommendations. Take sunscreen, a hat, a chair, bottled water . . . etc . . . you will be ready for a long few hours . . . I was lucky that I found a place where nobody ever comes to, so I worked undisturbed . . .

018-vi.jpg

How long does it take? I don't know yet, I am still photographing, still looking for just the right pictures . . . you really start to get the right feel for perspective, angle, depth of field, etc . . . and sometimes you realize that as much fun as you are having, the pictures are still not good enough . . .

Thank you, Jim. I tell you, this kind of stuff really does a number on the Old Doctor. I am like a kid in a candy store. You guys on this forum really make this hobby a blast, that's all I can say. And I will forever be grateful of the friendships, and more importantly all the inspiration you guys have shared and have worked so hard for.

LONG LIVE STYRENE!

Harry, thank you very much! Virgil your'e right its 1/2" scale.

That is a nice kind of backdrop to have Virgil. I know I shouldn't care but I am still reluctant to do something like that in public with my models. It really works though.

Mike, being able to fold up that dio makes it even better.

Ditto to what Virgil just said. Another thing to be sensitive to (which you have done well Mike -- this is for others) is to keep in mind how tall a scale photographer would be. I see lots of model shots taken routinely from what would amount to a scale fifteen or twenty feet above the ground. While shots from high above are not verboten, and can work, a human level shot is sometimes more convincing when it comes to models. Also check out the worm's-eye view (cam on the ground) to give your subject more importance.

EXCELLENT ROGER !!!

I many times shoot with my butt on the ground. This gives me my "3yr olds view" I have also learned that the "plane" the lens axis is on will contribute many differences in the finished look. As little as a 5 degree shift, along with the compression of the lens can make a major difference! I tend to look at most auto studio shots and try to set up the camera position..it can be a lot tougher than your lighting..and then throw in natural light and clouds moving.....OH what fun ! :wacko:

040-vi.jpg

Virgil...this is the one...notice how your edges run into each other without a seam? You did this with a LOW camera angle. In the first two if you look to the left of the "orange arm" see how its sharp...then not? ditto behind the van...thats your edge. Look in your VF and lower the camera (tripod) until you don't see the edge.

same with the left side, as you lower the camera your view or angle will change and take care of it.

Edited by MikeMc

MikeMc yes...

By the way, here's something I've been doing lately ... When I shoot a model I have either a figure model handy (or just a piece if paper will do) that is six scale feet high in the same scale as the subject model. I can then position the center of the lens at that very height so it sees what a six-foot-tall person would see were he/she standing there.

Best,

Roger

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I gotta go back tomorrow and take more shots at the lower angles. The problem today was that I forgot to take my chair and some water to stay hydrated. I also plan to take a few more vehicles just to keep it fun.

Chuck, what is it about being outside with your models you hesitate over? The onlookers? Questions, the fact they will think what you already know? That you are a STYRENE ADDICT, or worse, a plastic geek? LOL! :lol:

Dr. Cranky wrote: "Chuck, what is it about being outside with your models you hesitate over?"

To that, I add a sidebar---> Beware Shooting in the Full Sun!

I took this shot out in the sun when I realized that there IS no light source, other than the sun, that can produce those sharp defined shadows convincingly. I set up the tabletop and "set pieces" outside, put the car and figures in place before I went to the camera to adjust settings. I swear, not more than two minutes later I was set up, framed and ready to go! A small nudge to the car and ... and ... it was hotter than s**t! I quickly moved it to the shade where it cooled. After that, it was frame the shot, put the car and figures in place for a few seconds, expose the film (it was nineties), then move them back to the shade. The sun can be hot! (doh)

To the right of my shot is a shot of the real thing.

PS: Haha MikeMc, I must have been at least 30 feet tall here!

post-9361-0-18910100-1329517933_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-02841200-1329518991_thumb.jp

Edited by Rmodeler

Does that mean you might wear the one piece PJs out there? Very scary!!!

Now , who in their right mind is going to bother him when he's wearing that thing !!!

They'll take one look and run off in the opposite direction , screaming at the top of their lungs !

Add the Loosieyana Lunatic to the mix , now the planet ain't safe ,let alone the local population ! Scary ? That there is down right frightening !