Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does the tooling for the Revell 'Grease' motorcycles exist?

IIRC: these were originally part of the excellent "parts packs" revell sold and reissued under the "grease" banner when the film came out. somebody's BOUND to have some original still in the package kits; they'd really make some nice companion models for late '50's/early '60's kits.

What this?

IMG_0544.jpg

A few years back they were going to reissue all of them ,about the same time they relaesed the engine kits. They pulled back and I was bummed. I really wanted bikes. I got a junk yard motorcycle auction on e-bay And I was able to build this.IMG_0549.jpg

oddly enough.... i was scrounging my parts boxes and found two AMT Honda 70 trail bikes.... and the MPC Stingray from the 28 ford woody kit. the trail bikes came with the "destroyer" f100 monster truck kits.. i'll have to check them over; they might prove great add-ons to one of my "late-model" cars (right; nothing newer than 78!) .

That looks like a Triumph Dusty, at least that's what tha real ones looked like, I had a Royal Enfield 750 and my friend had a Tri 650 ( I think). 30+ yrs ago.

• 3 years later...

I thought I saw a Revell 1/25th scale BSA bike on ebay a few days ago.

The only 1/25th scale mini-bike I recall is the one from the Monogram Vandal custom van kit.

AMT had a cool 1/25th Go-Kart w/ a Bonneville streamliner racing shell included w/ one of their 60's era pick-up truck kits ..whenever one of those pops up on ebay it usually goes for big bucks.

Revell did 4 bikes.

Triumph custom.

Harley custom.

B.S.A. stock.

Honda stock.

All were available as parts packs, sometimes issued packed 2 to a box.

AMT had a Triumph racing bike and a go-kart available, both originally

with '63 annual truck kits. Bike with Chevy and kart with Ford.

Both of the AMT kits are available from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland,

and the are 1,00 percent better than the originals.

Several mini-bikes have been offered through the years. AMT had them in some van and truck

kits. Issues that come to mind are the 6-wheel Ford van, and the monster truck Chevy Blazer

IIRC called Destroyer.

MPC had a mini-bike in their '76 or '77 Plymouth Road Runner kit.

Revell had one in their Vandal kit.

Tamiya offered lots of scooter/mini-bikes in their early 80's kits.

Revell offered a later Harley in a 90's Ford Pick-up kit.

Entex had some motorcycles with sidecars in the 80's, again IIRC.

THat's all I can think of without going digging into the STASH.

Rick in Richmond

Guest Gramps-xrds

AMT also issued a lawn tractor in one of the kits. Don't remember which one but it was back in the 60s. It's been in my parts box since.

My linkHere's a link to a Fotki file with photos of built-up versions of most of the motorcycles that have ever been producted in 1/25th scale...excludes dirt bikes....

AS an example, here's a buildup of the ultra-rare Revell Parts Pack Harle Chopper

DSC_0083-vi.jpg

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i am pretty sure that "grease" reissue of the two bikes didnt have the harley in it. i believe it had the triumph and maybe the bsa. i have it around somewhere but havent found it yet to verify. i really dig these 1/25 bikes and especially your buildups tim. i have a number of original parts pack bikes (but not the harley), plus ive built the vespa out of the tamiya campus friends set, and at least one mini bike from one of those van kits (bought the kit cheap just for the bike...maybe it was that vw bus that was all chopped and hot rodded up?).

i was really looking forward to revell reissuing their bikes and really disappointed they ended up not. maybe that will change.

Don't forget the Honda 750 powered chopper from the MPC 70s Monte Carlo. Tamiya put a Honda Motocompo in the Honda City kit and the Campus friends had a Vespa and three Japanese scooters in the set. The Revell Datsun pickup came with a Yamaha? dirtbike. The Entex motorcycles someone mentioned were pretty bad. They were very out of proportion which was too bad because they had some cool subjects including some with sidecars.

And finally the coolest of them all, the MPC 1927 Indian Ace from the Gangbusters set! I loaned mine to Norm Veber for moldmaking but he hasn't released it yet!

[

Here's a photo of the Honda 750 Andy refers to above - it was in the MPC 1980 Monte Carlo annual kit, which was just reissued by Round 2 AMT recently....

DSC_0725-vi.jpg

Norm will produce the MPC 1927 Indian Ace from the Gangbusters setupon request (at least he did for me), Andy is right, this bike is WAY cool and a hidden gem from the early MPC era....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

i am pretty sure that "grease" reissue of the two bikes didnt have the harley in it. i believe it had the triumph and maybe the bsa. i have it around somewhere but havent found it yet to verify. i really dig these 1/25 bikes and especially your buildups tim. i have a number of original parts pack bikes (but not the harley), plus ive built the vespa out of the tamiya campus friends set, and at least one mini bike from one of those van kits (bought the kit cheap just for the bike...maybe it was that vw bus that was all chopped and hot rodded up?).

i was really looking forward to revell reissuing their bikes and really disappointed they ended up not. maybe that will change.

William, the Grease Set contained two "kits" - the BSA and Triumph Custom combined, and the Honda and Harley combined. I built the Harley pictured above from the Grease issue.

Two of the van kits that included Mini-Bikes were the Monogram Tom Daniel "Vandal" kit and the tandem rear axle conversion of the 1975 1.2 Ford Econoline by AMT that was done as a licensed tie-in for a movie featuring a boxing kangaroo....TIM

>Campus friends had a Vespa and three Japanese scooters in the set.

there were three japanese scoooters in the campus friends set? i think i must be reading that wrong...

ok tim that clears up the grease thing, ive never seen the second of the pair then.

heres the bikes i mentioned, the minibike i got somewhere and the campus friends vespa:

pairofbikes.jpg

close up of the minibike, some detail added:

minibike.jpg

and of the vespa, note the extractor exhaust system:

vespaj.jpg

and the honda parts pack:

hondapartspack.jpg

finally the bsa parts pack:

bsapartspack.jpg

picked these up at a NNL some years ago for about 10$ each...i would have bought more if the vendor had em!