Model Cars Magazine Forum

What model or car inspired you the most?

I'm taking a computer break from my workbench, and when there, it is getting so cluttered with tools, supplies, materials, parts and bodies in progress, that I am getting somewhat dysfunctional. And I need to clean it off, put the proper parts with their respective cars, and since most are ready for paint, to prep them for primer. Clean my top of workbench..........naaaaaaaa. What is stopping me is looking at my models in progress and re-creating that moment I saw a particular auto and it sort of ingested itself into my soul, and I dedicated the rest of my life, on and off, to building model cars.

That real car was Bill Cushenberry's 1940 Ford El Matador, which not only took the show circuit by storm back then, but AMT adopted it and it became a corporate showpiece for Budd "The Kat" Andersen. It even permeated my life, as somehow in the years aftermath, it had a lot of decline, including a flat black paint job (can you imagine this as a rat rod) then a garage fire in Tampa where it was stored, left for pieces. It was purchased as a bucket of parts by my local hero, who rebuilt it right as it was only using modern technology and materials so it would hold up better. He owns a towing and body shop, and had close affiliations with Treasure Coast Scale Auto Society, the greatest model club to have existed down here in SoFla. Imagine having Bob Kuronow, owner/founder of Model Car Garage, and 3 other GSLMCC contests over the years, and Augie making periodic visits. The 'show and tell" portion of meetings was worth a price of a Rolling Stones Concert ticket.

I got a call one night back in 93 from a fellow model customizer who told me the Matador was in town, and it was at All American Towing. It was just a few blocks from work so the next day, at lunch, I went over and there it was, totally identifiable in pieces, but it certainly was. The owner called upon the model car club to come out Mon-Thurs to help with the car, like sanding, fitting, primering, etc, which I did over a span of 3 months, and voila it was ready.

Again, it became a milestone in my life, as I took my family up to see it for a photo shoot. That car will always be in my blood. I have made close to 100 similar/dissimilar clones to it from 1961 to the present, and currently have 5 in the works, which can be seen on my fotki.com album page.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Lots... but the few top ones that come to mind are Tim Kolankiewicz; Coral Aura, Nearly anything by Roger Yu, James Warkentin; Junkyard dog rat rod, Ken Hamilton; '25 Ford Roadster, Gary Fox; 1939 Chevrolet, Terry Jessee; Cowboy Cadillac, Chuck Larsen; Pink Truck, '58 Chevrolet; Bill Geary.

Just a few.... I reserve the right to add more later.

Vic EdelBrock's 32 Roadster(his street car, The original So-Cal Roadster, AlaKart in it,s original fifties form, and all of those great Hot Rods in Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. during the Fifties. I started reading those small hot rod Magazines when I was about 6yrs. old, and I would read everyone of them over and over. Then I would try to build models of the Hot Rods in them.

CHEERS!

Edited by Ragnar

When I was a kid I used to look forward to the latest issue of Car Model magazine... back then the price was 50 cents (later went up to 60 cents!)... whoa, there went a good chunk of my allowance! ;)

Anyway, I was a big fan of Henry Borger's models. For some strange reason, to this day I still remember his feature on the "Angry Man" Maverick pro stocker and his "swirladelic" paint process and his Oscar Koveleski McLaren, among others.

But the one model that was featured in the magazine back in those days that really caught my attention was Jim Keeler's "Dodge Fever." That was the first time that I remember seeing a truly superdetailed model featured in the magazine. Jim went so far as to incorporate pistons in the engine! I was in awe of that model. I even built one of my own, but not nearly as detailed as Jim's was (back then I was just a kid and had nowhere near the skills to pull off what Jim had done). But that was the one model that really got my model-building motor revved up.

The one car that comes to mind at a very early stage of really trying to take my building to a higher level was Posies yellow 37 Ford coupe. He took that car and put sort of a bubble top on it, not the standard roof or chop top everyone else was doing before that. It changed the whole dynamics of the vehicle. I incorporated the same thing on a 62 Johan Plymouth Fury. The year was 1994 and it was the NNL EAST, the first time I entered anything in a show. Then one day I was looking through Custom Rodder magazine, Rick Hanmore use to have a Custom Rodder In Scale section in the back of the magazine and POW...there was my model the first time ever in a magazine with words from Rick that said "it was his favorite custom rod (thats what they called before Pro Touring) at the show"....thats it, I was hooked..... like a fat kid loves cake :lol:

Edited by BKIN10SECS

Ken, I cant really say any one automobile really inspired me to do models .......... Actually it were several cars. Take for example , the Futuresta from Daryl Starbird on the cover of Car Craft Magazine - June 1963 , Bill Cusenberry's Shillouette , the 1967 Impala , The beautiful 66 Bonniville , the sinister 53 Studebaker , The grace of a 1932 Caddillac V-16 ! Any of these fine automobilles were to me true pieces of artistic expression . I wanted to share in that experence and to do so , I built the model . Ed Shaver

When I was just a little goober, my Mom explained to me that I was born before toys were invented and that those toy commercials I was seeing on the tv during the saturday morning cartoons were just make believe like the cartoons. She would then give me a piece of string and a spool, or a straw and tell me to go make something. Well wouldn't you just know it, after a while I found out that by using my head and drawing up some plans, you COULD build something from parts, just laying around, waiting to be turned into something. So I do have to give my Mom some credit first of all.

In the early sixties I became immediately hooked on the small sized Hot Rod, Car Crafts, you name it car mags and this provided me with gobs of inspiration when it came to building my first models, which by the way I have NEVER build a model straight out of the box. Born in 1952 I had the pleasure of building and buying, for most of the greatest kits ever made for $1.49. My weekly allowance was $2.25, so there was always money left over for paint, glue and more magazines. My all time model building hero is Don Emmons. His articles in the car magazines and then the model car magazines were the first article I would search for when I got a new magazine.

So in this era late 50’s to late 60’s area I was inspired by some of the most beautiful customs of all time. Revell, Monogram and AMT made models of quite a few of them. Roth’s Outlaw and Mysterion, the Predicta and Ala Kart were all difficult kits back then for me at that age but I gave them my best shot.

Building models does many things for me. First and foremost I believe it satisfies a creative desire. Secondly, while growing up, poor but not totally without, I learned you could satisfy desires to possess something by either building it or even just drawing it.

My building style has become that I really enjoy sharing all the things I am attempting sometimes for the very first time. Some days while at work, I can't wait to get home to try something that's on my mind, that's when I am on an inspirational roll. Other times I feel like if I pick something up, nothing will go right, that's when I get out the old zines and stoke up for another run.

Can ya tell I love to build models???

l125.jpg

l123.jpg

I have to say it's not so much a particular vehicle or style that inspires me, nor is it a specific model or car. Granted, I've got a thing for Model As, Model Ts, Deuces of every type,early F-series trucks, and old International trucks, but I never know from one project to the next what is going to cross my workbench.

Usually, I'll see a feature or a photo in a magazine like Rod&Custom, Street Rodder, Hot Rod, Rebel Rodz, or some other 1:1 car mag and come away with a few ideas, or even get the ocassional 'bolt from the blue' that sends me straight to the workbench with a build idea already formulated in my head.

But I'd have to say that it's usually the work of another modeler that gives me the most inspiration. I can't tell you how many times I've read an article or seen a build by Tim Boyd, Pat Covert, Bob Downie,###### Cranky, or Drew Hierwarter and have come away with an idea or two.

I've followed along on quite a few of Tim Boyd's hot rod builds over the years, and have adapted many of them to my own sick, twisted whims. Bob Downie's models are always top-notch, and I particularly like how he seems to have a very keen talent on taking kits that aren't really that detailed and making them pop with a little careful paint detailing. He's also been known to let his hair down a bit and build something crazy- I specifially recall a pink Packard called the 'Packarderm' he built years ago, as well as the current Challenger/Mustang/Camaro mutant on his Fotki page right now. Pat Covert's crusty, weathered vehicles, particularly his 'Grundy Salvage' builds, are always inspiring. Same goes for ###### Cranky- he and I seem to have a very similar attitude with rat rods- the wackier the better! And Drew's 'less is more' philosophy always lifts my spirits, and reminds me that I don't need to throw $75 bucks worth of aftermarket parts at a build to make it look good.

Since joining the MCM forum, I've also been inspired by the work of Abe Dooley, Fletch, Lyle Willits, Bob Black, Alyn, and countless, countless other guys.

There are two types of cars that I like most, TV/movie cars and wild customs. I love the attention the TV/movie cars get, but building them you can't really use any more creativity that has already been thrown at the car. When I go to Autorama I love to stare at those cars with hundreds of hours into the bodywork, see how all the lines flow togther, and wonder if I would do anything different.

Great topic. I have to say that I get lots of inspiration from magazine the likes of OLD SCHOOL RODZ, AMUSIN' KRUISIN', ROD & CUSTOMS and a few others . . .

But nothing serves up a hotter plate of inspiration than this build Pat Covert and Ken Hamilton put together a few years ago . . .

THE CAMP MULE--I will let the pictures do their good work on your creative spirit!!! :blink::o;)

P9040001-vi.jpg

P9040002-vi.jpg

P9040005-vi.jpg

For more great pictures of this build, you can check them out here:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/t.../junkyard_mule/

Ill got to say its `62 Chevy bubbletop! I have now one finished and other in progress, then i am planning to order at least one more kit :P Maybe 2 :blink: I dont know, it is just great AMT kit with nice details and it IS greatlooking car! I also have one `62 Impala convertible and i like it too, but bubbletop is number ONE :o;):P

Ill got to say its `62 Chevy bubbletop! I have now one finished and other in progress, then i am planning to order at least one more kit :P Maybe 2 :rolleyes: I dont know, it is just great AMT kit with nice details and it IS greatlooking car! I also have one `62 Impala convertible and i like it too, but bubbletop is number ONE B):lol::P

You know it's strange I have owned Three 62 Chevy Bubble Tops, A 409w/ two 4s, four speed bench seat SS Sea Blue, dark Blue intrior; A 409 SS two 4s,four speed, with bucket seats, Black on Black, and 409 two 4s, four speed Belair Red with Black interior, But I have never built a model of one, just never seemed to get around to it!

CHEERS!

My inspirations from the pages of Model Car Science and Car Model magazines were Don Emmons, Hank Borger, and Richard Carroll.

In '07 I met Don Emmons at GSL and all of his models were in the museum. Don was one of the nicest, coolest guys I have met. His models were great and have held up very well as he has also. He was very spry and was a joy to talk to.

Richard Carroll's wild brass creations were the ultimate to me at that age. I dreamed of being able to scratchbuild like that. His designs were so artistic, too. Someone on the Coffin Corner forum actually contacted him recently. He lives in the Boston area and still has all of his models.

Hank Borger's detailing and craftsmanship were great and he could spin a yarn, too. I loved seeing a new issue of Car Model with one of his creations on the cover. Hank came to a few early NNL meets in the early 80s and was genuinely surprised and overwhelmed at how much everyone thought of him and his work in the magazines. I believe he drifted into the "other" scale -1/1! I heard he also does a lot of military modelbuilding now, too

All 3 of these guys were of the greatest inspiration for me in my formative years.

Movies, TV shows, and tuning companies like Koenig Specials and the like inspire me. That and not being able to afford the real deal! :rolleyes:

If I can't have the real car of my dreams, why not build one and put it on the shelf for me to drool on?

That, and just being a collector by nature.

Wow - bunch of good threads lately.

Here are a couple of my favorites. One builder that I do not have a picture from is Mark Townsend of Nor Cal. He was the first custom builder I ever talked to. He talked about his creative process - Hold pieces together until you like it, then stitch it up with a soldering iron. Remember the Butterdish C cab or the Sporkster?

Mike Turk's PS excessiveness. He taught me one important thing - keep trying until you are happy with what you have made.

turkcad8-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here is one I share with Jarius. Lil' Pink truck. I met Chuck this year and got to see this in person. I would say that Jaruis is on my list too. Great mind for design.

pinktruck5-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here is a link to all the guys that I have pics for.

http://public.fotki.com/Scottcolmer/top_20_or_more_crea/

Scott

The car that influenced me toward the post-teen years, when I tried again at model building, had to be my dad’s Corvairs. His first ‘vair was a 1960 more-door with that “flying buttress†roof. I have a vague memory of being small enough to stand up, holding on to the front seat so I could watch dad drive and see where we were going! I also recall that car stranding our family in a supermarket parking lot with mechanical issues.

Second ‘vair was a ’63 Monza Convertible. Kool memories (literally) of dad and I taking home a Christmas tree in the back seat with the top down.

After that, dad switched to a ’63 Impala, but I think he always had a soft spot for the Corvair. I eventually adopted dad’s “sicknessâ€, and have owned a 1965 Monza more-door with the so-so 110 HP, a ’61 parts car that I foolishly thought I could fix up, a 1963 Spyder that just had a mechanical rebuild, and finally again a ’63 Greenbrier Van that once again, I foolishly thought I could fix up.

In the late eighties, I started hunting for a model of my 1965 Monza. That’s how I found out about the “hobbyâ€, Scale Auto Enthusiast, pricey old kits, and… the rest is history.

I can't say I was "inspired" by any one model, but because of a deep seated love for anything mechanical, I've been "into" cars, trucks, airplanes, heavy equipment, trains, etc. My most current inspiration however comes from the Street Rodder Road Tour '52 Chevy 2 dr. hdtp. in the Sept. issue of SR I love the paint and stance. Since I don't have a chassis or glass for my '51 Chevy hdtp, I'm doing a similar '51 convertible, back dating it to a late 50s custom. That is, of course, assuming I ever get around to finishing it. :lol:

Gary

I saw a promotional display of the Garbage Truck back when it was new. I can't remember what central Ohio hobby shop my Dad and I were in at the time, but it was a perfect build to my young eyes. The display included a clear dome and a printed backdrop. I really liked the model, but the build and paint quality are what drew me in. A lasting impression indeed.

Edited by samdiego