Model Cars Magazine Forum

Article in Florida Newspaper

Greg, first I have to give fellow member Hotrodasaurus here a lot of credit as it was him who sent me a Rod and Custom magazine , ( January 1963 ) . In the magazine among other things like scratch building a model was an article called History of Model Cars Past and Present by Bob Wingate . I think the fellow showing a model is Mr Wngate extroidinare . His garage is filled with models shown on slanted shelves to display them from the ground . One can easily see the progression from 1947 and a small display of Banthrico , ( National Products ) to 1957 when S M P and A M T started to manufacture the popular Promotional plastic models .

Indeed , we certainly have come a long way in this ever growing hobby ! Ed Shaver

Hey Gregg... get in touch with this guy and let's make it a feature in an upcoming issue! I'd love to see photos of a 12,000 car collection...

BTW... never tried Guinness.

But I do like my Dos Equis... does that make me the most interesting man in the world?

:lol::o;)

Just when I think the model car culture is dying in this area, something comes along and shows promise. Oh, yeah!!!!!

A little about Weston......Weston is a relatively new community in South Florida directly west of Ft. Lauderdale, from which many have escaped due to its having lost its innocence....me included. (I moved to Boca Raton, FL, a modeling desert). Weston was founded by of all people, Mike Douglas the talk show host from the sixties who lived down here to play golf, and it consists of upscale homes, apartments, malls, townhouse, gated communities, etc. It is also served by what I consider the biggest and most stocked hobby shop. It is jam stocked in an old supermarket store, and has extensive, knowledgeable and detailed inventory of just about every hobby imaginable. Plus each "department" is manned by a relative "expert" in its respective hobby to provide customer assistance and support. It is called Warrick Superhobbies and it is just that.

Western Ft. Lauderdale is home to a lot of model car builders, as even the MOPAR show generally attracts about 75 to 100 models at its showings at public parks out there. There is another noted model car builder out there who rented a storage garage to house his over 4000 unbuilt models....and I thought sometimes I was too obsessive.

However, my two favorite hobbies both model cars and model railroading seem to be in relative decline in other areas, as seen by fewer events, fewer hobby shops, less exposure, and its impression seems to be leaving the public consciousness and awareness.

I wrote this because of hope. You guys out there are incredible builders and provide this old geezer inspiration, as I still consider myself viable in this hobby, as my building continues to evolve despite the cultural environment.

Hang in there guys, keep on buildin'

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman