Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another nubie question...

Hi everyone,

I have read a little about but have not seen a photoetched saw blade up close. Are they thinner than a exacto blade? Do they work well? Are they worth the cash outlay?

Any and all responses are appreciated, thank you!

Enjoy the day,

Charlie

theyre very worth the money and theyre about as thin as #11s

I used the saw blades all the time. They're great for scribing panel lines and cutting through pieces. They are thin and you can bend them if you're not careful. They will also cut all the way to the bone if you slip! Which I have done. I've never found a need to use them with a handle. Here's link to Strada Sports for Crazy Modeler. About halfway down the page, you'll see a couple of sets of their saws. They are definitely worth getting just to have around because you never know when you might need them. I use mine quite often.

http://www.stradasportsstore.com/crazy%20modeler.html

I've posted on these on more than one occasion. They are VERY good for cutting a very thin straight line. with a dremmel. If done carefully, it will be finer than scribing with a #11 blade.

But - RESPECT THESE!

They are Satan's ninja stars for model geeks and they have an insatiable taste for human flesh. If the blade has the slightest bend, thow it away.

Always try to cut with the rotation driving the blade away from you. Go very easy on the pressure. Try to steady your hand on something. Remember your eye protection.

Good luck

Scott

I also find them very handy in removing sprue stubs in difficult spots. Shortly after buying a set I picked up some cheap x-acto style handles at the local dollar store and mounted the whole set so they're always handy. Since they're thinner then the actual x-acto saw blades they need to be treated with a little less vigor but they work great. I was like you when I first saw them and wondered how well they'd work or last but they've now become a must have tool on my bench.

rob w

i have never looked into these either, but i could see how the circular ones would be nice...i have a dremel buzz saw sort of attachment that believe me has saved my life a few times (or at least the models life!) and i could see how a thinner one would be nice, but the ones i am really interested in are these:

Untitled%20Photo478.jpg

so i take it each of those is a little saw, with very tiny teeth you cant really see in the photo? and so you remove them from the fret and just hold them to use them? those look like they might come in really handy sometime.

>Shortly after buying a set I picked up some cheap x-acto style handles at the local dollar store and mounted the whole

>set so they're always handy

so they are made to mount in a normal xacto handle?

Edited by jbwelda

I've used both the circular saw blades meant to mount in a dremel:

t_107804.jpg

and the regular type which I mount in a handle as I would a #11 blade, the latter from Model Car Garage:

mcg2238.jpg

The disc blades take some getting used to in order to get a controlled straight cut but are very quick and effective. As Scott pointed out RESPECT THEM!!!

I swear by the fine photo etch straight saw blades. They come in various shapes for getting into small speces and for engaving fine lines. There just what's called for in order to remove the minimum of plastic from your cuts.

In both cases, if you bend them throw them away!

... they have an insatiable taste for human flesh.

I have a set I bought from Crazy Modeler on eBay.

They're a lot thinner than an X-acto saw. Seems to me that sawing with a PE saw is a lot safer than carving with a #11. Just maintain a steady pressure, as with any saw. And they don't have points, so there's no risk of stabbing or nicking yourself.

They're meant to be held in a standard X-acto type handle.