Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Plymouth Race Car

Jeff Sauber

You should try adding a little more detail to your next model... :lol:

But seriously folks... this thing is so far over-the-top cool that I can't stand it! And the best part is, most of that incredible detail wasn't bought, it was made from scratch. Now that's model building! :rolleyes:

It's 1/25 scale...It's the top sportsman Revell kit from the early 90's.

I modified it a bunch to try and capture the 1:1 race car the way it looked in 2004-2006 when it switched to pro mod racing. There's a few differences, but it's close enough for me.

Edited by J. Sauber

Probably one of, if not THE, finest drag racing model I've ever seen. That first picture with the background could easily pass for the real thing. Did you make the fuel tank from aluminum, or is that a kit part painted?

The only thing I would consider is at some point re-doing the front tires. I have no idea why Revell engraved "Frontrunner" on those.....the REAL Frontrunners say either "Goodyear", "Goodyear Eagle", or nothing at all....at least all the ones I'VE ever seen.

Beautiful model!

Probably one of, if not THE, finest drag racing model I've ever seen. That first picture with the background could easily pass for the real thing. Did you make the fuel tank from aluminum, or is that a kit part painted?

The only thing I would consider is at some point re-doing the front tires. I have no idea why Revell engraved "Frontrunner" on those.....the REAL Frontrunners say either "Goodyear", "Goodyear Eagle", or nothing at all....at least all the ones I'VE ever seen.

Beautiful model!

Yes, the tank was made from sheet aluminum...I agree on the front tires having inaccurate engraving, but at least it was a good exercise in dry-brushing techniques.... :D

With the body in place you don't really see the "frontrunner" letters that well.......lol.

J........I saw this build posted on the Protech site......Wow!!!!......you sure can build!!!!!!!......Awesome detail.....one of a kind master piece.

Thanks a bunch for the compliments John, You can certainly build up some mean quarter mile machines yourself...

I really like that allison powered Mustang funny car you have over on the Pro-Tech site. You must have some serious hours invested in that one. Fantastic work!!

I like this. It is way too cool! Have you planned to build that movie version of Christine too? They would be nice to display together. Of course full detail builds both ;)

I've been wanting to do the movie version of the car, but believe it or not it would take more work than the race car did, to get it all looking right, and properly detailed..

The AMT kit body is way off and inaccurate, and would need serious correcting to fix the errors.....I'm sure I'll get around to doing it one day, but for now, at least I have the race car version completed..

Edited by J. Sauber

Jeff, just an awesome build! Thanks for using my products and allowing me to use it on my site.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Thanks Charlie, it's always a great pleasure using your awesome braided hoses and photoetch product line......These items really give the model a very realistic look, and are also quite user-friendly...I'll be placing more orders in the near future, I'm already getting started on another max-detailed race car!!...... :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a SUPERB build JS.

How is it I didn't say something already????? My Bad..

It's clear you made almost all of the detail pieces, and they come off as perfect. Most of the detail IS NOT AVAILABLE AS PE OR RESIN...

Harry is right. THIS IS MODELING.

I'll add. AT ITS FINEST.

Bravo Brother!

Bob F

Thanks for the comments guys....The hex rod I used for the A/N fittings was .040.........060.......080.

I drilled out the centers of different sized pieces of rod first, then shaped the tapers of each fiting with a sanding stick, and then finally cut them off like sausages by rolling them back and forth under a hobby knife.

And finally, I set all the pre-cut fittings on a piece of tape and lightly apply the spray paints. Silver base coat, followed by transparent reds and blues....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys....The hex rod I used for the A/N fittings was .040.........060.......080.

I drilled out the centers of different sized pieces of rod first, then shaped the tapers of each fiting with a sanding stick, and then finally cut them off like sausages by rolling them back and forth under a hobby knife.

And finally, I set all the pre-cut fittings on a piece of tape and lightly apply the spray paints. Silver base coat, followed by transparent reds and blues....

just let us know when it passes NHRA tech,, i just joined this site,to TRY to do a model of my real street car,,after loking around and reading so much info, i had no idea models were being built to this level,,,what a build, man,,