Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Karmann Ghia Sleeper

jbwelda

thanks for the comments guys, let me address them:

yeah raul the flu hit me hard that week and so the event that i look forward to most out of the year, i didnt attend! :angry::angry::angry: oh well it will be there next year and this way, i will have some new stuff to bring next year!

mustang lover, yep you nailed it, those cylinders look funny with the seams running through them. i thought they would be covered up by the shrouding or spark plug wires but as you can see they are not. i should have known better since i had built the motor before and had an example right in front of me but i kind of recoiled in horror at the thought of filling that seam and than filing out between the cylinder head fins. next time for sure! it does take away from it a bit. i actually wonder if a real quad cam carrera had shrouding around the cylinders like a VW motor does...and in that case you cannot see the cylinders which would have solved that problem. but maybe they didnt...i am not sure the motor would cool properly without shrouding because as we know a VW wont really operate that way unless its flying out in the breeze ala a dune buggy and even they have their shrouding in place.

vw dave, actually i am trying to decide on the track right now. the front axle is narrow enough to put the wheels inboard like your real car illustrates (love those wheels by the way, nice polishing out of the accents). i was going to push them out a bit with some plastic tubing but i may not now that you mention it. unlike a real car though, a model doesnt need the space for turning radius with up and down movement so i tend to like a wider stance. will probably make a decision right before i pull out the super glue! i hope to have the wheels and tires on over the weekend so i will post some pics to show the actual stance and track later. heres some of the wheels and brakes though:

dscn0684s.jpg

thanks again for the comments and i am not sure why some images are not showing up...i think maybe imageshack is trying to extort some $$$ from me?

Edited by jbwelda

...yeah raul the flu hit me hard that week and so the event that i look forward to most out of the year, i didnt attend! angry.gifangry.gifangry.gif oh well it will be there next year and this way, i will have some new stuff to bring next year!...

Well...maybe we'll see you at the Stockton show on April 11th. It's supposed to be a pretty big show. As I understand it, the IPMS guys will be there.

Later,

yep those are chrome wheels out of the (porsche) box, with a black wash and some scrubbing on the tires. i bought some lug nuts but they are too small to work with these wheels, actually the lug nut holes in the wheels are too large for the nuts. it looks pretty good with the tips of the studs silver like they are. the detail in those enthusiast kits is incredible even if the fit aint always what it could be.

ok time for an update, have reprepped the body (to mixed result, see below) and shot a base coat of tamiya gloss black. more significantly have completed assembling the interior, frame and front bulkhead areas, and have started seriously considering stance situation. once i had test fitted the chassis to the body it became obvious that big old muffler was gonna stick out way more than i had imagined, so i had to file a big section out of the rear of the body. having done that though, everything appears to fit alright back there now even if it is a bit off center (that whole motor is off center when you really start looking at it). i didnt like relieving that area as i liked the detail of the pipes exiting under the rounded areas on the rear lower pan, but such is life. so at least it presents a fairly clean appearance and in the final fitting it wont be cock-eyed like in the fitting photos that follow. now i am going to have to consider how to use the rear bumper...i would like to use it and the overriders as per stock but i might have to crop them off into bumperettes (would be ok) or even make some aluminum nerf bars (more "kustom" than i want really).

another problem might be the hood to motor clearance...the observant reader might note i mentioned earlier in this thread that i was going to leave the air cleaners off for now so if i needed to use velocity stacks for clearance, i could. unfortunately things and time saw me glue them down permanently so again impatience rules the place around here. actually it looks like the air cleaners will clear the hood fine, it might be that coil assembly i placed atop the fan shroud that comes to cause the grief so we will see. i might offset hinge the hood to create a "scoop" effect like a lot of cars around cali do/did, but hopefully i can relieve the inside of the hood if necessary.

so about the stance, as has been noted time and again, stance is 100% of appeal oftentimes, and i think thats certainly true with this specimen. here are some photos of a mocked up height, the rear tire is just about lined up with where the axle is, maybe 1/32 off so pretty right. the front however needs some serious dremel therapy as the wheels stick way too far out and dont even clear the outer fenders. as mentioned above by one who evidently knows, some narrowing of the front axle beam might have been a good idea. ahem. maybe next time then (seriously, im thinking of doing this whole project over with numerous improvements ive visioned during this build). but i think i can get the front wheels tucked down in the wells convincingly. will post more photos to show progress.

one thing for sure: im glad i dropped that front axle because it would have sat way too high in the front otherwise.

also some photos of the interior, the porsche dash looks great but does require some further dremel therapy on its outer edge. that will allow the interior (and the chassis) to sit up better inside the body and take care of some of the "cock-eyed" look of what i got here.

heres some pics, first just some stance shots:

bodyonframepassfrontfuz.jpg

bodyonframefrompassenge.jpg

no, it wont have this much camber!

bodyonframefrompassrear.jpg

heres one showing the rear surgery required to fit that big old muffler up clear from the body. i would have liked it, and actually the whole motor, to sit further forward, but the transaxle bracing detail mentioned earlier prevented that. another note for next time.

meanwhile next time i build this motor i HAVE to do something about that seam. it bothers me more everytime i see it.

engineincarfromback.jpg

finally a couple interior shots. its looking pretty good but could use a coat of dullcoat and some more weathering. nice porsche seats, shift lever, dashboard though...

interiorseatdetailinsid.jpg

nicedashboardandseatbac.jpg

Edited by jbwelda

thanks zuki, the paint actually is only a first coat and you can see in the back how it pulled off the body, again, when i removed masking. i dont know what the deal is here, i reprepped the body before painting the exterior, that means i sanded everything, washed it all very well, more than once, in warm water and dish soap, pretty much did everything but westleys bleach-white. hopefully that little patch was all there was to it.

final finish will be tamiya metallic black with a few coats of clear over the top, should look much better, but right now im working on getting the wheels on and inside the wheel wells.

thanks all for looking and as usual any questions comments criticisms cheerfully deflected!

• 2 weeks later...

well things were going well which i should have taken as a sign.

i sanded the base coat black only to have a section peel off, again. this is after re-prepping the car more than once. at that point i said to hell with it and threw it in alcohol to attempt a paint strip so i could start again. in the process i noticed something: the black i was using, tamiya, was PS-5. not TS-14, (gloss) black for plastic. "PS" paint is for polycarbonate material as it turns out. i assume that means clear RC bodies, to be painted on the inside and then not polished etc. i would bet thats why this ###### peels despite over-prepping the body. i knew there had to be something drastically wrong because ive never been confronted with paint peeling whether i prep a body or not. maybe its just me, but paint always seemed to bite into a surface whether i went out of the way to prep it or i didnt. thinking back i remember the lhs i patronize was out of gloss black so i went to the RC shop down the street to get some...obviously i was not paying enough attention. so...numerous travails later, the light bulb finally comes on. better late than never i suppose.

so now i am going to have to wait for the alcohol to do its thing and strip the body, then go back and use the right paint for the base coat, repaint the interior section tan and then finally throw on the metallic black and clear coat.

i am leaving for a week or more out in the desert saturday so i doubt i will get much more done on this car this month, maybe not even this year as i usually hang up model making for the summer anyhow. in fact i may just buy a new kit to get an unmolested body. this time i am going to do some more body work, remove the side chrome strips (i think those look dumb anyway, on a real KG as well as a model), probably strip off the front emblem and maybe the window drainrails along the sides of the roof. but i will have to see how i feel about it when i return because right now my patience is at a low ebb especially given the pain and suffering ive tolerated trying to get a decent paint job on the body. but its my fault for not watching the details. this model is on a short path to being stuck in a box and forgotten. it would be a shame with all the work ive put into it so far so that probably wont happen but i have to keep telling myself there are options.

Edited by jbwelda

• 2 weeks later...

paint aint strippin...anyone have a spare kit or body to sell? if so, an inbox would be appreciated!

I don't think I caught the paint type. If it's acrylic, add windex to your alcohol until it's 50% by volume. That should take it off. Alternatively, DOT 3 brake fluid from the 1:1 model store should take it off.

Cheers,

Dave Ambrose

its tamiya but for clear RC bodies, for polycarbonate material, their "P" line. i dont think anything short of brake fluid will take it off and probably not even that. but thanks for the reply...no KGs currently on ebay but i guess i will have to keep my eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

well three weeks in the dunk tank and not much progress on paint removal. pretty ironic: it comes off when i dont want it to but doesnt budge when i do!!!

so its into some castrol super clean for giggles; meanwhile i scored another kit on ebay so might just start over on the body when it arrives. no matter what, SOMETHINGS going to progress one of these days!

• 1 month later...

well finally got that nasty paint off...brake fluid did it in minutes. you live and you learn.

meanwhile some bodywork cleanup, primered, gloss black undercoat, metallic black overcoat and just now shot some clear. will let it dry up and then maybe shoot some more (more-on?) and a light (hopefully) polish and i may even have this done by end of summer!

from looking at the photos i just took, i can see some color sanding of the clear coat (oxymoron?) and then a nice even wet coat of clear to polish on.

fromabove.jpg

frontend.jpg

rightrear.jpg