Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Karmann Ghia Sleeper

jbwelda

• 1 year later...

ahem...here it is a year later and i still havent done anything to complete the ghia! i have fear of BMF and i need to foil the side spears! just have to sit down with a drink one night and relax!

seriously, i hope to get this thing off the bench and onto the road sooner than later!

ahem...here it is a year later and i still havent done anything to complete the ghia! i have fear of BMF and i need to foil the side spears! just have to sit down with a drink one night and relax!

seriously, i hope to get this thing off the bench and onto the road sooner than later!

I like it! ... exactly why a van project of mine has been sitting for 3 months ... BMF Fever! The old hands just cant run an edge with BMF as they used to so I don't like doing it much anymore. When it's done, though, nothing else can compare.

I made a run back through this project and I loved every minute. Your comments and photos made me feel I was sitting right next to you watching. Putting the trials and tribulations right out there is what gives the interest and education.

And did I mention I love the build! I have a few of the 356's ... one I got JUST for the wheels! :( Hope to see ya continuing on with this beauty.

Way cool...missed this when it was first posted. A 1:1 KG with the twin cammer would indeed, be one heck of a sleeper! I've seen some 1:1 Spyders at Lime Rock with this engine, and it's an impressive piece of machinery. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

I like it! ... exactly why a van project of mine has been sitting for 3 months ... BMF Fever! The old hands just cant run an edge with BMF as they used to so I don't like doing it much anymore. When it's done, though, nothing else can compare.

Tell me about it! I despise BMF, that always seems to put me in a bad mood because I can never get it right.

William, the Karmann Ghia is looking pretty good. I'm not into these kinds of cars, but I still like where you're going with it.

• 5 months later...

well it has been awhile but in my current "clear the workbench for something new!" mood, ive started back in on this moldy oldie!

finally faced the foil so to speak and it needs a bit of trimming but overall looks as good as i expected, next time im going to sand off those side trim strips instead.

all thats really needed to do here is putting the glass in, final fitting which is probably going to be a bit of a challenge because that porsche dashboard, while following the contours of the stock tamiya ghia one, hasnt actually been fitted up in there with the glass installed, etc. i predict a little dremel therapy on this patient in the immediate future. then its just a matter of installing the trim and getting it to sit nice and i should be wrapping it up!

headliner being painted, still will be trimmed around its edges with a black sharpie before the glass is installed:

headliner.jpg

body is looking ok, still needs a bit of polishing up:

triminplace.jpg

i am hoping to get the glass in tomorrow and then start with the final fitting, then install the wheels and tires to make sure it sits level...

Those Enthusiast Series 356's are one of my favorite kits, too. I've only had one, and built it very early in my adult modeling, Needless to say, I didn't do it justice at all and very much want to get my hands on one again for another go.

BMF'ing is one of my favorite parts. lol. Guess I'm weird. ^_^

Anyway, love the project. Type III's were my 1:1 VW fixation, but of course it spills over into the other models like some sort of sickness. heheh. As for the huge honkin' muffler issue, have you considered painting it black to trick the eye a bit? Can't wait to see more.

Well, Bill, you sure do have some entertaining build threads! Most modelers tend to give up on projects that frustrate them, leading to those threads that just sort of peter off into nothingness, but you just work your way through (case in point- your yellow Austin 7) and come out the other end with some excellent builds. Can't wait to see this done, if it takes a month or another year!

ok just to show you i am really serious this time, some progress to report!

detailed the headliner a bit with some visors and mirror, then penciled in some horizontal lines to simulate headliner sew marks (not shown in this photo unfortunately)

headlinerdone1.jpg

i had been dreading final fitting because like i have mentioned, i never really test fitted the body to chassis with the fujimi 356 dashboard in place so i sat down and just kinda engaged the front end into its mounting tab, then eased in the back, twisted the body a bit to get the interior sides up even with the glass and what do you know...fits pretty darn good!

uponsticks2.jpg

lookin good from the side, and both sides are even...

bottomview.jpg

and looking good from underneath! chassis is sitting evenly and flat and even the rear where i was afraid i would have to glue the motor up in one corner looks like its sitting nice.

my biggest concern is getting the hood/deck to fit over the motor. i dont like the way tamiya makes these hoods because you cant lift them open enough to really see whats inside, so i think i am going to clip off the end pieces so the arms just slide into their slots and the deck can lift off. thats if it doesnt stick up on one or both of the aircleaners...if it does then things might get drastic.

rearwithmotor.jpg

heres a weak shot of the interior, you can see the side panels are lining up well and what you can see of the porsche dashboard fits very nicely, like it was made for it.

throughwindowfront.jpg

well before i go gettin all self congratulatory and all, i thought i should point something out, in the third photo i posted above, i was looking closely at it, and thought "what is that crack on the left side of the engine compartment? must be 'lense flare' or a UFO or something!"

this one i mean:

rearwithmotor.jpg

uh...sure enough, thats why it fit together so easily! they will do that when you break em!

i knew that area was weak and not real well reinforced but did that stop me? ohhhhh no.

anyway thankfully it glued back together and it will near or completely be covered or obscured by the rear bumper...i hope.

its always something...

well getting up on wheels is giving me a little more grief than i had anticipated, but some progress has been made. heres a couple shots with the rears epoxied on, and the front posed. front track is a bit wider than i had wanted but i knew that was coming. i still got a trick up my sleeve to narrow it just a bit more.

i really think wheel stance and placement is crucial to the look of the model. thats why i get particularly obsessive about this stage of doing things. i think this will look realistic...i purposely put some slant on the rear wheels but i didnt put too much which makes sense with that big honkin sway bar/stabilizer from the 356 under there.

anyhow hope to be wrapping this one up soon so stay tuned for some final shots!

frontright2.jpg

rearright3.jpg

rearright2.jpg

Edited by jbwelda