Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 Caddy project!!!!

cruz

I have been putting in some time at the bench working on a Monogram '59 Caddy, I have the chassis and engine complete but I still have to paint the body and complete the interior. I will show just a few pictures I have taken and the link at the bottom so that you may see what I have been doing in my dungeon of glue!!!

MAMAMeeting011610006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

It is based on this kit, I like the hardtop more than the convertible and also like the fact that the vinyl top is molded in already!

MAMAMeeting011610017-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I have been working on the rear lights and chrome molding pieces, these have a terrible fit so I have had to take some plastic off in some areas while add some in others..... :D

MAMAMeeting011610011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

CadillacEldoradointerior-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I am planning on painting it similar to this color on this 1/1 photo, I had some Rainbow Products Lacquers laying around the dungeon and decided to use them.

59Caddyproject001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

59Caddyproject002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

59Caddyproject003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Below is the link to the ongoing build!!

http://public.fotki.com/MCRUZ1/1959-caddy-project/

Thanks guys! Kevin, yes, I do use Testor's Metalizers throughout my builds, I like using the various shades to create different contrasts within the simulated metalic parts. I also like the fact that you can buff them to a higher luster, they really help in making your builds more realistic!! Thanks again for everyone's input!!

I have put in some more time on my Caddy. Decided to start doing some of the interior, here are some photos of the progress!!

59Caddyinteriorfoil009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

59Caddyinteriorfoil012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

AS you guys can see, BMF really makes everything pop when you compare it with just the painted part!

59Caddyinteriorfoil014-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Caddypics003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Tires, rims and whitewalls are gorgeous along with the kit!!

Marcos, your builds are just too cool, right up my alley. I can't keep up with your speed, it's been a year now but tinkering around with the new house and in the big garage I just cannot find the time to do what you do with the plastic. I have some on the bench to be seen at Mid Atlantic NNL and it is slowly becoming a priority... In my own mind... Heather says we'll be painting the living room this spring. Oh joy! Keep up the great work man!!!

Well Cruz, with this snow storm you ought to be able to get a lot done. Looks fantastic so far! Did you do anything special for the floor/carpet? That color on the interior looks close to Dupli-Color's Hampstead Green, that I used for my '69 Nova. Hey, I see our own resin caster extraordinaire Normen (sic) Veber did the artwork for the photoetch. Cool!

Well Cruz, with this snow storm you ought to be able to get a lot done. Looks fantastic so far! Did you do anything special for the floor/carpet? That color on the interior looks close to Dupli-Color's Hampstead Green, that I used for my '69 Nova. Hey, I see our own resin caster extraordinaire Normen (sic) Veber did the artwork for the photoetch. Cool!

Thanks Randy, I didn't do anything to the carpet since it was pretty well detailed, I just painted it with some paints I had lying around my room. The color is closer to a shade of blue rather than green as in the case of the Hampstead Green.

59Caddyproject002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The color is Persian Aqua from the old Rainbow Products paint system no longer available. I will be doing the body in the same color even though I primed the body with white primer rather than gray like in the case of the interior. I still wanted to make sure that the interior was a bit darker than the body. I will be going with a white vinyl top!

I was pleasantly surprised to see Norm involved in the design of the photo-etch sheet, that is why, including you, we are all so proud to know him as a great resin caster and best of all, as a very good friend!!

I am taking advantage of these days off because of all this snow and decided to paint this thing today. The wife is shopping with the daughter and it's the perfect storm of tranquility to get some stuff done!!! I decided to go with a Tamiya Pearl clear, after 3 coats of the pearl, I finished off with 4 more coats of the regular Tamiya Clear, didn't want to wetsand and poslish straight on the pearl coat....

PaintedCaddy001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PaintedCaddy010-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PaintedCaddy011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PaintedCaddy005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PaintedCaddy006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PaintedCaddy003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I love the color, really goes together with this car. Is the roof painted also?

Thanks Kevin! I am planning on using Tamiya Insignia White for the roof, it will give it a slightly different shade of white and it will also make it look a little used instead of it being so bright!!