Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra Daytona Coupe in plastic.

"How about South African built Coupes?"

The Superformance cars are essentially fiberglass, 'streeted-down' and do not have the raw character of the originals or Kirkhams. Vette guys would love them-not purists.

Though the outlines are very close, they have made their own wheels which as you can see, vaugely resemble the original Halibrand FIA wheels. More like the 'Brock Coupe' 18" wheels. They have outer mirrors and the cockpits are heavily slanted toward boulevard work-AC, suede, heavy sound deadening.

Superformance make all their own ancillary parts like gas caps, brackets, chassis parts and use (IIRC) BMW rears for example. These parts resemble the '60s parts but differ in dimension for the most part. Just like the Superformance GT-40 MKII. Replicating these altered parts in model form would just make them more 'toy-like'.

Don't be fooled by the Shelby licensing. Shelby buys aluminum bodied cars from Kirkham and sells them as CSXs.

And I wouldn't call this discussion 'bitchin' - more like exploring the possibilities for a future kit.

Couldn't somebody show this thread to the guys at Mobius? Mebbe a better chance with THEM than anyone, at least they're LISTENING!

The problem is finding an accurate car to model-not which manufacturer to make a kit.

Several good points made, I've been doing my own preliminary work on the subject, I have never gotten my hands on a Gunze SCD, but the Ferraris and Jag E-type I have of theirs are quite good, being they are actually getting a little long in the tooth now

Edited by Jeremy Jon

And while a Daytona Coupe would be awesome and wonderful, it pales compared to the need for a comprehensive, up to date, accurate 289/FIA Cobra along with a Competition 427 with proper fenders. Hasn't AMT been milking their 260 Cobra for like 50 years?

Edited by The Junkman

The Monogram is really nice and accurate (far better than the Fujimi-it was based on a clone-reproduction) but only for a street model, or rather the S/C. The competition model had many differences.

Here's the current release

lmons4011_zps543b043b.jpg

Now compare this to the car that was the model for the first issue by Monogram

csx3009d_zps45dab0f4.jpg

A better illustration is this one, the scheme from the last release of the Monogram kit:

540_zps12c7636f.jpg

Front fender vents are off, both the front and rear fenders are too narrow and have shape issues both above and behind the rear wheels. I also think the competition Cobras ran multiple Weber carbs and not a 4 bbl as in the kit. It should have "fine child-bearing hips". Regarding the 289, there were many varients as the production went along and the competition versions only generally resembled the street versions. We need a new up to date kit....because.

The Monogram is not even close to an S/C-OR a street car.

All those examples look like Tonka toys, if built box stock. It amazes me how many like the Cobra but have no clue what one actually looks---or feels like.

Couldn't somebody show this thread to the guys at Mobius? Mebbe a better chance with THEM than anyone, at least they're LISTENING!

I'm NOT Moebius.....but I did stay at a Red Roof last week!!!!!

I do know the folks at Moebius. I have the privilege of working with them on some items. I do at artwork for the NASCAR race car kits and I help on product development some.

Look at what Moebius has produced so far. Each kit has a number of options built into it. Many more than you may think.

A Cobra coupe is WAY to limited in popularity and it the ability to be the basis of a family of kits based off the tool.

Like I said...I ain't Moebius....and am speaking for myself. But I don't see it any time soon. It does not fit their philosophy at this time.

Someday....I'd not say never......but I'll not sit waiting for it.

Just IMHO only!

On the topic of "this vent, that hichy ( with apologies to Bill Cosby)" Just about anything can be different from one Cobra to another. Haven't you read any of those Cobra books on your shelf ? http://www.amazon.com/TOP-ELEVEN-COBRA-BOOKS/lm/R3HOPU136F8IRG/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_2

41ejejJwCWL._SL500_SX300_.jpgNone of these six cars were built the same.

Edited by Greg Myers

None of these six cars were built the same.

Correct, and mentioned by others too, it's impossible to make a generic 'one-is-all' Daytona coupe kit, which is where I appreciate the efforts like HRM's version that says which specific Daytona coupe it replicates

I think a Factory five type version kit would be good for some, then it could be with the changes apparent we see in those type replicas vs. the real race cars, otherwise to do the actual car justice, then you'd really need to build a kit for each variation of each real car!

Front fender vents are off, both the front and rear fenders are too narrow and have shape issues both above and behind the rear wheels. I also think the competition Cobras ran multiple Weber carbs and not a 4 bbl as in the kit. It should have "fine child-bearing hips". Regarding the 289, there were many varients as the production went along and the competition versions only generally resembled the street versions. We need a new up to date kit....because.

None of the Competition Cobra 427 ran webers. They all ran single 4bbl carbs. Every 427 S/C Cobra started out as a Competition Cobra. There is no differences other than the street gear that was added when they figured out that couldn't sell the 100 Competition Cobras they had already built.

. There is no differences other than the street gear that was added when they figured out that couldn't sell the 100 Competition Cobras they had already built.

It's my understanding that the S/Cs had no differential cooler, no dry sump, no quick change brake pads and possibly had the bronze bushings replaced for street use.

It's my understanding that the S/Cs had no differential cooler, no dry sump, no quick change brake pads and possibly had the bronze bushings replaced for street use.

You are correct, about the diff cooler, which was only installed during the finishing of the few actual competition cars sold, the brake pads were changed to non-racing spec, as were the bushings. From what I under stand only a handfull of cars left the factory with dry-sump, and that was not a standard item when shipped to Shelby. It was installed here in the US by customer request. But as far as cosmetics go, which is partly the topic of conversation here, all true S/C cars (as opposed to street cars later modified to S/C spec to raise their value) Started as full comp cars, and therefore should cosmetically be identical.

All true to my understanding Darin. Differences to fender flairs and devices like Feinstein's car were down to race customer changes.

The differences among the six Daytonas are significant only if the model builder wants to replicate one exact car. Since there are zero model Daytonas now, I think a 'composite' model would satisfy me and should satisfy the non-Shelby fanatic. A discriminating builder could alter a composite kit to suit the car he wants.

A 1/12 Daytona next to my GT-40 would be very pleasing.

I think we can sum up by saying that there's just not a big enough market to warrant a styrene kit manufacturers trouble.

How about a resin caster's transkit?? They make plenty of obscure vehicles...

I think we can sum up by saying that there's just not a big enough market to warrant a styrene kit manufacturers trouble.

How about a resin caster's transkit?? They make plenty of obscure vehicles...

How about this kit from Historic Racing Miniatures? It's $185 and worth every penny. I have one and hope I can build it this well.

IMG_1999-vi.jpg

IMG_2000-vi.jpg

IMG_2001-vi.jpg

IMG_2002-vi.jpg

IMG_1993-vi.jpg

The question here, is what price would those wanting a more accurate kit be willing to pay?

That's a real issue for either a larger manufacturer of kits, or a small independent maker

The amount of work involved for handmade accuracy is not insignificant, and the current price of materials (RTV, resin, etc) is also higher, so it's not possible to really make a low volume kit for say $50 or less and make any profit, much less recover the costs involved

That being said, it's the love of the hobby and subject matter, which produces what we do see IMO

Edited by Jeremy Jon