Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra Daytona Coupe in plastic.

Heres a source for detailed and accurate drawings for the Daytona. $600. And there is at least as much of a market for this as there is for the Hasegawa 1958 Ferarri 250 Testa Rossa, or Fujimi Ford GT40

Yes Darin but most here want a $30 kit. No link in your post...

Unless I'm very mistaken, the Daytona Coupes are built on chassis that are very VERY similar to the Cobra roadster chassis. That means that a lot of tooling already exists from other Cobra kits, and I'd think a minor retool of the chassis, maybe a little more than what was done to the '32 Ford chassis for the Roaster release, should get the bottom half and guts. That would reduce the cost of producing a Daytona Coupe kit a LOT, rather than starting fresh.

Unless I'm very mistaken, the Daytona Coupes are built on chassis that are very VERY similar to the Cobra roadster chassis. That means that a lot of tooling already exists from other Cobra kits, and I'd think a minor retool of the chassis, maybe a little more than what was done to the '32 Ford chassis for the Roaster release, should get the bottom half and guts. That would reduce the cost of producing a Daytona Coupe kit a LOT, rather than starting fresh.

The only 289 Cobra kit is the ancient AMT kit. A better plan of attack would be to simultaneously develop a street roadster/club racer, a dragonsnake, an FIA roadster, and a Daytona coupe. Many of the racing parts on the FIA roadster would be correct on the daytona, and they would be able to use the majority of the tooling in five different releases.

Well? Did you ever get the PM you requested with reference I sent you?

Yes, I did & have seen those links, thanks! I actually visited the Shelby LV when they first opened, given a tour of the Series 1 production, and received a little information at that time, not a lot, but a little!

The only 289 Cobra kit is the ancient AMT kit. A better plan of attack would be to simultaneously develop a street roadster/club racer, a dragonsnake, an FIA roadster, and a Daytona coupe. Many of the racing parts on the FIA roadster would be correct on the daytona, and they would be able to use the majority of the tooling in five different releases.

Great idea, Darin. Instead of coming up with reasons it can't be produced, you came up with the best way TO produce it. Like Revell did with the 66 El Camino / station wagon / 65 Chevelle, using like parts for all the kits & changing bodies & interiors for each. As for finding one to measure, as said before, the Simone Museum has one & Miller Motorsport Museum has another & the Wilmont coupe, as well. I don't see it as being a niche market, anything Cobra sells very well. Look at how many releases AMT has done with the 289 roadster & Monogram 427, as inaccurate as the rivet counters say they are. I can't see paying the better part of $200 for an HRM resin kit to sit in my display case & another $165 for an FIA roadster. They are nice kits, from what I have seen, but a bit spendy for me.

Jeff