Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 1967 Ferrari 330 P4 - Street Version

chris4q

Well I've allways loved this Ferrari 330 P4 and I wanted to do a street version of the car. If I had the money, this is what I would be driving. I used a Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari 330 P4 kit along with the extra detail kit with etched parts. I also did some scratch building for some of the parts. Over 500 miniature rivets were used to complete this car. I'm also using a Motor Modern multiple adjustable chassis with this car.

ferrarithreethirtypfull.jpg

I don't have enough adjectives that haven't already been used.

The rivet work is what gets me. Painstaking work for sure. Wondering if you could give us a rundown on how you did it.

Nice clean paint. The car looks fantastic, but I have to agree, too good to race it.

Chris

I don't have enough adjectives that haven't already been used.

The rivet work is what gets me. Painstaking work for sure. Wondering if you could give us a rundown on how you did it.

Nice clean paint. The car looks fantastic, but I have to agree, too good to race it.

Chris

Thanks Chris and eveybody else for the cool comments - cheers

BTW - These cars do get raced and they can stand up to some off's on the track but after a short while they need re polishing. I have 2 cans of clear coat on this car so it's got a lot of protection. They race cars in Germany like this all the time. They are so well done it's hard to see these things fly off the track and they race them hard. Maddness but what the hell, it's racing;-)

Here's how I did the rivets...

The first thing you have to do is plan way ahead. Check the body molded rivets and make sure you can get a rivet in all the areas. In some cases you'll have to leave some of the rivets out because it maybe too tight to get one in there or it's just not right to the eye. If you make a mistake here just fill the hole in. Sand the body down without taking the body molded rivets out. You need to keep just enough showing so you'll have a guide for drilling holes. I used a pin head to mark the holes and it also helped for a guide for the drill to get started. Drilling the holes is tough. Keeping everything straight is a nightmare and all this drilling takes a long time. And I mean a bloody long time! Once all that is done (drilling) then you sand the body again until smooth and then test fit ALL the holes with the rivets. There are well over 500 holes on this car and all needed to be tested. This takes a massive amount of time just to sort that out. Once you have done this, you set the rivets up on some very thin sheets of cork. You press each rivet into the cork but leaving just enough of the steme so you can get some very fine tweezers under the head. I just used normal tweezers and grind the ends down to they were very fine. All of the rivets need good spacing so when you paint the heads of the rivets they get a complete and clean coat. I use a metal primer first. Then you use the colour you need to match your body paint. I did 2 coats of colour. Once all this is done then varnish the rivets. Let these dry for a couple of days. Once your body is painted and varnished you'll polish the body until smooth with compond. After that, use a good car wax and polish. Now you'll ready for the rivets. The rivets come with long stemes so you'll have to cut EACH ONE down because they are so long it would look silly so cut them close to size you'll need. When I glued (5 min epoxy) the rivets in I used a little glue at the front of the hole and then some glue for the rear when the rivets was in the hole and correct. The fine tweezer you are using is a "most have" in placing the rivets into the holes. Make sure you do more rivets than needed because you will lose some of these rivets trying to get get them into the holes in some cases. I lost about 10 and trust me, you don't want to spend time looking for a very small rivet on the floor. Now all this takes a massive amount of time and I don't mind saying that this is a bitch to do. You have no choice but to take your time here. This is the way I did it and I hope this will help anybody who trys using rivets.

Here's link to a cool website who sells rivets - http://www.scalehardware.com/

best

Chris

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous! I have to say my jaw dropped as I looked at the pictures, then dropped some more when I realized it was a slot car!! Well done, and the rivets are fantastic! Oh, and your pictures are stunning!

Edited by Tony T

• 1 year later...