Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

hey guys can some one tell me what AMT stands for.....and a great mag for reference!!!!!!!

if you guys love hot rods like me you guys should pick up the march copy of hot rod deluxe and the reason for this is that the issue is packed with tons of vintage photos and the mag it self has some of the best old school hot rods i have ever seen with the exception of rebel rodz. so let me know what you guys think AMT stands for.... :lol:

Sorry to burst your buble Blake, but Mr. Obsessive is correct. I dont know what info you have, but it is wrong. There have been many articles over the years that say the same thing. Just do a bit of research and you will see.

Bill and Mark are correct. The Authentic Model Turnpike was just a marketing gimmick for the slot cars. Aluminum Model Toys is correct. I am not a historian of the model companies but they made some cast aluminum painted and assembled 48ish fords in the beginning. They didn't have any interiors or chassis. They were a little bit smaller than 1/25. I remember my dad having one.

Bill is right, Aluminum Model Toys. The Turnpike was a slot car product that AMT had with their car bodies on a motorized chassis where you could actually steer the cars, which was very unique for the time. I remember ads for it with Art "The Kat form AMT" Anderson promoting it. It, if I remember correctly was very expensive for the time....and it did not catch on very well.

if you guys love hot rods like me you guys should pick up the march copy of hot rod deluxe and the reason for this is that the issue is packed with tons of vintage photos and the mag it self has some of the best old school hot rods i have ever seen with the exception of rebel rodz. so let me know what you guys think AMT stands for.... :)

Hey Blake, Check out this link, you might get a kick out of it

http://public.fotki.com/DWDarby/model_cars/amt_corporation/

In pic #2 fe825aed read the last of the text and you will see what AMT stands for, as Bill and the others said it is Aluminum Model Toys, but this guy has a ton of pics in info in this folder, check it out.

Wow, Those press machine pictures bring back some memories of my early work days.I worked for a company owned by Mercedes Benz. that made all sorts of Injection molded parts for the computer /electronics industry. We had presses just like those, and larger.A few years ago I happened to pass by the plant location and it was now a Popcorn manufacturing facility, How wierd is that?

Just goes to show ,, Do you're homework and make shure your facts are 100% correct before you post them on a message board or you will be corrected. ;):D

And make "shure" your words are spelled 100% correctly or else some smart-aleck is going to correct you! :unsure:

If I'm not mistaken, that '48 Ford was the only model ever produced by AMT that was made of aluminum ... all the rest were plastic. Yet the name (AMT=Aluminum Model Toys) stuck.

So if the only aluminum models were 60+ years ago, then probably since then 'AMT' has really meant just..'AMT'. Some acronyms lose their original meaning and just become letters over time.

Edited by Rob Hall

I believe that was Budd "the Kat FROM AMT" Anderson, not Art. Budd passed quite a few years ago. Art is a member on this forum.

Yeah, I was a newly minted HS graduate when AMT announced the Turnpike sets. I did, however, become acquainted with Budd "The Kat from AMT" Anderson when he was at the National Rod & Custom Show at the Murat Shrine in Indianapolis, put on simultaneously with the 1962 NHRA National Drags out at Indianapolis (now O'Reilly) Raceway Park that year.

(FWIW, that was the weekend that Revell introduced their first modern model car kits: Roth's Outlaw, the '56 Ford F100 pickup, and Mickey Thompson's Challenger I)

Art