Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

Tony-

Nice looking progress on that Impala. I'm glad to see that we get an extension till April 10th. It amazes me how most of that year went by so fast and life got in the way so much. I've got to get going on my Beetle. I've got to get the rear wing attached to the engine boot. I bough some paint for mine the other day and I'm ready to do a bit of experimenting on it. Now if it would just quit snowing around here. Got another 1 1/2 inches this morning! AAARrgggg!

Later-

I didn't read every single word of this whole thread so this may have already been answered, but what's the chance of having "The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge Part II"? I didn't even know this was going on. I would've loved to get in on it. Any chance for another chance? :)

Okay, I'm done mine!!

Original Artwork that I was given at the start:

60Chevfin.jpg

Picture of my build (with craft paper black & blue to look like the photo):

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05013.jpg

Slightly different angles:

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05004.jpg

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05005.jpg

Used Sidewinder kit wheels and tires as the original caption indicated. Also used Revell Viper kit brakes, and the brakes and wheels popped onto the kit suspension with no issues-the wheels do roll!

Used the Revell B-M '69 Camaro grille in place of the Impala kit grille, and cut the Impala emblem out and used the decal.

At the rear, on the decklid I shaved and filled the rear trunk lock. I should have slightly shortened the Caddy taillights. These were in the kit, and just used Tamiya clear red for the middle pair as they were molded in clear for the reverse lights.

This was the kit:

60Chevy001.jpg

The chassis-Rear wheel tubs cut and material added to make room for the lowered suspension and big rear wheels. Cut the 59 spare hump out and added ribs. Rear of the exhaust is solder, and aluminum tubing:

2010-06-26-60Chevybuild016.jpg

A few more pictures:

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05006.jpg

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05011.jpg

JWAC60Chev2011-03-05010.jpg

Enjoy!! Here's a link to my build album if you'd care to take a look.

This was a fun build, and am looking forward to seeing how others built theirs!!

Just after taking these pictures...the model accidentally fell on the floor-I could kick myself! I caught my sweater sleeve on the craft paper base, pulling it off the table, and it fell square on the roof on the floor from the table...I got it back together but the rear roof pillars are a mess-the left one broke, the right one crimped, and the rear glass popped out, and has a crack at the lower right...No other damage, but a few scratches, which another coat of Future will cover, and a couple of parts came off...the rear pillars look terrible, especially the left one. This will still look great on my shelf!

EDIT: So after looking at the remaining damage, I was able to use a clothes peg to clamp the c pillar to the rear glass, and run a bead of clear. We'll see in the morning if it holds. The left c pillar may be able to be touched up, and may hide the repair not too badly.

Edited by Tony T

Man, Tony, sorry to hear that! That really sucks. I have done that SO many times. My last drop was actually a fumble of the plastic case my 65 Mustang sits in. When I fumbled it the clear case came down on the roof of the car and took a big chunk out of the paint on the roof. Right down to bare plastic. Frustrating.

The Impala looks great though. Hopefully the night alone will do it good.

Later-

Thanks, Tom...yeah, I was kind of stunned for a second there! It seems to be not too bad on inspection this morning - the left c pillar breaks are visible, but not too bad, considering. The crack in the back window is visible, but like I said-it will be fine on the shelf. It sure could have been a whole lot worse than it was!

Edited by Tony T

Here is a quick photo of where my project Beetle sits now. I've been spending the last few days ironing out the details of the Porsche tail. What a pain that was. Anywho, here it is for tonight.

DSCN4727.jpg

I just got done gluing some small Rare Earth magnets onto the body and engine boot so that it will stay in place yet be easily removable.

DSCN4728.jpg

DSCN4729.jpg

DSCN4730.jpg

Tomorrow I'll probably strip the interior paint and try and get it repainted in a two tone tan paint again.

Later-

Got the interior parts all stripped today and ready to start over with the painting. Should be able to get to it tomorrow. I am also going to try to get the exhaust system completed this week. The ball is starting to roll on this one!!!! Now if I could just find a job to relieve mine and my wife's stress a bit!

Later-

Got a little more progress done ( very little) and got a couple of pix to show.

First of all I shaved the handles off of the interior panels. I'm going to put some P.E. power window switches on. I've had them for years and keep forgetting to use them. here are the shaved panels.

DSCN4733.jpg

DSCN4734.jpg

I think that I am finally settled on a light blue and white interior color. Blue will be Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue.

For the body, I decided that the closest I could come to matching the color is using the Tamiya Coral blue with some of their X-25 Clear Green mixed with the clear coat and misted on as a highlight. Should work.

Next I lowered the mounting points for the front bumper to get it to line up with the bottom of the fender. To do this I cut notches in the body below the mounting holes, which will be filled.

DSCN4736.jpg

DSCN4738.jpg

More to come.

Later-

Continued-

As I compare the height of the bumpers to that of the drawing the bumpers don't seem tall enough. I'm sure this wasn't intentional by Jairus, but, as we are trying to match the look of the drawing, I think that I will make them a tad taller.

Here is the link to the drawing-

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr225/Modlbldr/JWAC%20Beetle/TheBeetle.jpg

DSCN4737.jpg

My idea is to add a strip of #240 half round to the bottoms of the bumpers and mold them in.

DSCN4739.jpg

That's it for today. I'm still waiting for a bit of warmer/dryer weather to do some painting. Till then I'll keep on with the small mods. Gonna work on these bumpers a bit and perhaps get the exhaust figured out today.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Got a bit more progress made these last couple of days. I sanded the welting(??) off between the body and fenders to clean up the front and back ends a bit.

DSCN4746.jpg

DSCN4747.jpg

I also filled and sanded the original mounting holes for the bumpers and started adding the height to the bumpers. What I did for this was judged where i wanted the extra height. I determined that from the way the bumpers sat in relation to the body the rear bumper needed the height added on the top and the front needed it added to the bottom. I started by gluing the half round strip to the respective edge then filled in the gap with some hex rod that was all I had on hand that was small enough to work.

Here is the front bumper before putty and sanding.

DSCN4744.jpg

DSCN4743.jpg

Once the putty is in place and dry, I'll sand it down and get more photos posted. I've managed to get enough good weather to start the interior painting. Got the panels, seats, steering wheel, and center consoles painted gloss white. Next is to tape off for the Coral blue. Hopefully today. I'll have most of the day alone but I'm working on sanding my bedroom walls for painting too. Always some sort of "honey do".

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I got a chance today to do a bit of puttying on the bumpers. I ended up having to put another strip of half round (this time Evergreen #242)on each bumper to give it even more height.

DSCN4750.jpg

DSCN4749.jpg

It looks as if the rear bumper is going to have to sit lower than the drawing in order to clear the engine cover. Oh well. I may get out to the model room tonight to do the taping of the interior for the second color, Coral blue. The white is all painted. Thanks for looking. Any comments welcomed.

Later-

Jairus-

Thanks for the encouragement. Sure wish I'd gotten off of my dead rump a few months ago and focused on this. Sure is a lot of little stuff left to do that I hadn't really though about. Plus, the weather isn't wanting to cooperate. But, you being in Portland, I'm sure you're getting it too. Anywho.... I'm still plugging along.

Tony-

Somehow I don't think that it's going to be that way. I would send Fletch a PM and ask. I haven't heard him around these parts in a while. I hope everything is OK with him. Whatever the process is going to be I'll need to get in on it. I doubt I'll have the time or money to head to Portland, as much as I'd love too. I've got to meet Jairus someday.... (Just a little sucking up there).

Later-