Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have a little proposition for you guys

I had some time this afternoon and got some of the tops and windshield frames formed. The “convertible†style top master received some minor damage while using it to form tops so I had to shut down the molding and repair the top. I should be able to resume and complete the tops tomorrow, Monday the latest.

You can see how the four parts are all on the same sheet. 4758102833_289e466f35_m.jpg

I will cut them up so they will fit into the shipping box. In the one shot, you can see the two tops that I have cut out and primed. That is how they should look once they are trimmed up and the windows are opened up. You can open any size or shape window you like. You don’t have to use the tops or these windshield frames if you would rather do something else. If you ordered one of these, I want you do build it as you want, not how I have mine started. The whole point of this is to use your imagination build something the way you want.

Yesterday I did some shopping around for the best way to ship the bodies. I looks like the U.S. Post Office has the best deal, the “Small Flat Rate Box†ships for just under $5.00. These boxes are nice and sturdy so they should be fine. 4758739862_1b89ed6088_m.jpg

The only issue is that the box is, and I mean IS, the exact length of the body. 4758135241_51d4c72633_m.jpg

4758772842_7542a5d3a7_m.jpg

I did not want to trim the bodies very close as I wanted to leave that up to the builder to trim it to his liking, but I have no choice here. The next larger box is a Fed Ex shipping container and that would be $10.00, so I think this is the right choice. The tops and acetate for the windshields will fit in the snug box so it should be fine.

As soon as I get this all together, I will send them out. I am enclosing a few shots of the body that I have been playing with. 4758102071_0c6d93f96f_m.jpg

You can see how the two removable tops look on the car…I think pretty well. 4758134923_18413f7da8_m.jpg

4758102411_f1e16c00d9_m.jpg

I cut out the interior openings and the doors so you can see how that will look on this body….again, you can do whatever you want on yours. .

Guys, there is no deadline on this. Just send me an e mail to aegisgolf@optonline.net with your address and I will be very happy to send it out. :P

I sent the first 18 boxes out today. I goofed on a few. The guys in Canada have an additional $6.00 postage cost and to Europe there is an $8.00 over ride on the postage, but other than that its pretty simple.

I will make more bodies and roofs this weekend. To anyone who requested multiple bodies that is not a problem but the postage will be greater because I must send them out in a bigger Post Office box....the material cost is small for additional bodies...its the postage that adds up.

The first batch should be arriving early next week....if it arrives and you have an issue, please send me an email so we can correct any problems. Thanks again for the interest in this...I really appreciate it. I can't wait to see what you guys do with this body. :D

Howdy Pete. The dual cowl roadster arrived today and I'll be doing the PayPal deal in a few minutes. Thanks so much.

Could you answer 1 question? What is the part that's larger than the windshield but smaller than the tops? I can't figure it out. Thanks again.

Howdy Pete. The dual cowl roadster arrived today and I'll be doing the PayPal deal in a few minutes. Thanks so much.

Could you answer 1 question? What is the part that's larger than the windshield but smaller than the tops? I can't figure it out. Thanks again.

Sure Jim, that was supposed to be molded in clear but I could not get the clear material in the proper thickness. It is the frame for the second windshield....the windshield for the "back seat" if you will. It is optional as you may have a better option in your parts box. I plan on using that piece and will post the pictures on how it works and looks in a few days. Other than that, I hope everything else was satisfactory.

OK, to everyone that ordered a Dual Cowl Roadster, they have all been sent out.

I think the first of them started arriving today. Again, I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but when you get it you will understand that it requires some work on your part.

If you have a Dremel tool, the final trimming of the parts from the styrene sheet will that much easier. I cut mine out with a scissor up to about a1/8 of an inch from the part and use the sanding drum on the Dremel to get it up to the point where I finish it with sandpaper or a sanding stick.

I do not want to tell you how you should do this or even influence anyone in the building of this car. Please complete this vehicle in the style and manor you want…that is the point of this. But I feel that I need to post a few pictures to help insure that certain things are done in the most correct and proper way. A good example of that are the roofs.

4758102833_289e466f35.jpg

Here are the roofs cut out (primer ones) next to the way they look on the styrene sheet. You must carefully cut the two roofs out so that they will fit properly on the body. 4788375490_ed04313181.jpg Here is the hard top cut out and painted. 4788374360_cb446e480b.jpg

Notice the shape of the back of the roof. 4787744111_49d3cafd51.jpg

I am enclosing a few pictures here of the roofs cut out into the proper shape to sit snugly on the rear trunk area. 1st, notice that there is a subtle ridge that runs down the center of the rear deck…4758134923_18413f7da8.jpg

..the tops must be cut so that this ridge is allowed for in the top. 4787745799_daf3c7a2b1.jpg

Also, the roof must be allowed to run down the side from that ridge to the bottom where the rear door rear edge is.

Take special care with these cuts….they will make a huge difference in the fit of the roof. 4788376880_7b30d294c2.jpg

As I stated in a previous post, once I cut out the convertible top and sanded all the edges smooth, I sprayed on a coat of primer. 4788377700_eb75f8aa15.jpg

Once dry, I sprayed on a coat of 3M spray glue and let that set up and dry for about 4 days. When it was reasonably dry, it got another coat of primer. 4787743071_3c61aafeea.jpg

Next it will get the top coat to match the interior color. The hard top was cut our, sanded smooth and primered. Once dry it got a light sanding and a coat of appliance white. Later it will be painted the same color as the body. I am planning a single color on this car since the last two I did of this style art deco car both had two tone schemes.

I look forward to seeing and hearing how you guys are making out and remember let me know if you have problems with any part of this. We’re in this together. Also, if a part gets damaged beyond repair I will be happy to replace it for just the cost of postage. Have fun with it.

And remember, if anyone else wants in on this just send me an e mail with your address and I will get it out to you.....it may take a week or two, but I will get it out.

Received mine also Pete...AWESOME!!! Great work on this, you've got some real artistic skills my friend! Paypal just sent, thank you! :mellow:

BTW, if looking for a chassis for this body, I did a quick check with an old Monogram 41 Lincoln, seems like with just a little work, it's a natural for this...wheelbase & width are very close.

Mine arrived today and a Paypal payment went right out! If you've thought about getting one of these and haven't, they're a great looking body, straight, symetrical, Peter is a fine craftsman! I got one and I think I need two more, just because...

-EDIT->> And you have another email. I will gladly pay for any increase in postage for multiple bodies, these little gems are well worth the price!

Edited by Wagoneer81

I just returned from picking up the bodies (yes, I have 2) and they are GREAT! THANK YOU Peter. I have so many ideas, which is why I ordered 2 bodies. My plan is to have them ready for NNL East next April. Good luck to all who are taking part in this terrific idea and have fun.

I would love to jump in on this... is that possible? This design has some real potential... while I am replying, I just wanted to say everything I have seen from you is downright amazing from the design standpoint. I think the Chrysler 300EX is going to be your best work yet!

Please PM me if this is possible!

• 8 months later...

Peter - I hope you will be at NNL East next week...I am just finishing off both of the bodies and as long as Murphy's Law ignores, me, they should be ready.

Hey Howard, I will be there, (it's only a 20 minute drive from my house), barring a world ending cataclysmic event. I look forward to meeting you....it should be a fun day. :)

I almost forgot to mention this, I really am looking forward to seeing what you did to the bodies.....its like going to see one of your kids in a school play!

Edited by Peter Lombardo