Model Cars Magazine Forum

1989 Grand Prix

Harold

Here's my Grand Prix. The rear window was MIA, so I made a convert out of it. The scratchbuilt items include sun visors, top boot, third brake light and the targa bar across the B pillars (and I plan to maybe redo that).

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3965-1.jpg

Hey I like this....I always was fan of the blac w/tan interior cars.....and the subject is cool too!!!! Something different for a change......nice work....thanks for sharing!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

After seeing yours, it's hard to believe they didn't make a convertible.

It looks Great.

How did ya do the boot? Looks right at home on it.

Excellent work.

I made the boot out of .020 Evergreen sheet and .030 x .125 and .020 x .040 evergreen strip. This was kind of a 'wing it' job- the trick was getting the lower edge to make that transition from the quarter panel to the rear deck. After I roughed it in, I slathered on a coat of Bondo, shaped it, used some textured suede spray as a base coat, and finished up with Testors tan acrylic and some spray Testors Dullcote.

Edited by Harold

Thanks for the complements, everybody. Since the pictures were taken, I swapped out the wheels with a set of custom 5- spokes from a '92 Stealth. Now, if I can just remember what box the side mirrors are hiding in...

And here it is with the new wheels...

IMG_4074.jpg

As for the roll bar, well, there would have been too much re- engineering of the doors and door jambs to make it economically feasible to eliminate it. Plus, all the cars they'd have to crash test after the engineering was complete. Too much cost.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...