Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to the hobby

G'day guys.

Basically, I've had the thought in the back of my mind for some time, however with a weeks holidays just around the corner I figure now is the perfect time to jump into this whole model car building hobby (obsession?).

The problem I am having is where to start. I've never built a model car before. I am a miniature wargaming refugee and have spent a lot of time around RC cars and planes as well as 1:1 car building (my first love).

I am most interested in building up models of classic American muscle in every guise from stock through to pro stock as well as full house drag racers. I don't want to be completely overcome, but I'm not altogether interested in level 1 kits- any suggestions of brands etc to plumb for?

Also, what are some valuable tools to have at my disposal? I already have a good selection of cutters, files, drills, model vices and an airbrush but have noticed guys speaking of foils and flocking. I'm intending to do all of my panels in auto paints.

If anyone can offer any advice for a beginner I'd be most grateful. Especially if there are any fellow Australians floating around who can share any local knowledge.

Cheers.

MILD

Edited by MILD

Michael,

Great name you have there, it has served me well for over 40 years! Welcome to the hobby and be sure to soak everything up that you can. Joining this forum is a great start to learning about this hobby because you will find all skill levels here and a great bunch of modelers who are willing to help you with just about anything.

Not sure what the scene is like "down under" but I am sure some other countrymen will chime in and guide you to places locally that will have what you are looking for.

In terms of American Muscle Cars, both AMT & Revell offer quite a few kits. It depends on whether you want a specific brand (Mopar, GM, Ford) or a certain era ( early 60's, mid 60's, etc) as to what kit or brand to buy. Both companies offer some great kits as well as some real klunkers so it is best to ask or surf the forum to see what others think or have built.

It sounds like you have most of the basic skills and tools, I would say that you pick a kit and build it straight out of the box before you jump into foiling & flocking. Foiling and flocking take some practice and patience and I am sure you will pick it up quickly, it just might be easier to find some kits to practice on first.

Keep us posted on your builds.

Mike

Welcome to the forum from Mike #3! ;)

Mike #2 gave some sound advice so all I can say is just find a kit that interests you and go to it. As you build, you'll find something you'd like to improve on and I'm sure help here will be easy to get. The main point is, ENJOY! :)

Welcome to our place! Check out the "Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials" section, there is a tuitorial I believe pinned at the top of that page that may be of some help. If not, bounce the Q back to the top and ask again.

Welcome to the hobby :D

I just like you used to do war game modeling, from this you'll find you wont need any other tools apart from more automotive things such as sandpapers, fillers/puttys etc and different types of paints (i loved using acrylic back when i did minatures, but its got to be enamels and such for car making)

anyway, to start off, buy your self a cheap 1/24 kit of any car that takes your interest - remember the funs all in you liking the car, whats the point of modeling a 1/24 toyota prius for gods sake ?? ;) i have no idea where people in oz get there model kits but you have ebay over there so try that if you cant find any shops ?

once you have your kit, you should be good for tools and glue i presume, you will just need your base paint, primer and sand paper, may this be a full on auto paint or just a cheap spray can to get used to car model making..

so yeah, overall just enjoy it, the reason i make model cars is because its a way to actually own AND build my own dream car collection i find.

If you want to try your painting try older rc or toys cars, this is what Im doing with my bro inlaws to teach them basics on primer,sanding, and painting last but not least detailing. And it could help you to open the doors on the cars this way if you dont feel comfortable working with a kit you dont feel B) when you dump it.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. It really is a pleasant change from those wargaming forums! I guess with all the Michaels here I had better go by Mick just to stand out from the crowd.

Mark Taylor- I checked that link and it is fantastic. I have already saved it to favourites and that level of detail really is what I am aiming for (and beyond of course!). An excellent thread and a credit to you for being generous enough with your time to post it up for everyone to draw a little knowledge from.

85Firebird- unfortunately no 1:1 of my car actually exists. It's an Australian car- an old Holden Calais which is essentially an upper trim level Commodore. Holden belongs to the GM family and you may be familiar with the current Commodore as the G8. If I remember correctly, the Monaro also became your Pontiac GTO.

I will be following your advice though and pick up a level 2 kit. I'm waiting for the time off work- roll on Thursday night- to head to the LHS and see what they have on offer... if I have no luck it will be to the online stores and hoping my purchase arrives early into next week.

I'm sure with some patience and the wealth of knowledge in Mark's thread as well as many others I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Mick Welcome to the group!

For developing your building skills get either AMT, or Revell/Monogram level 2 kits. For developing you painting skills try finding cheap Snap Tites, you can soak them in Castrol Super Clean between paint jobs and try several different methodes and paints without worrying about messing up a model you have spent a lot of time building.

Order Donn Yost's DVDS, they will be a great help to you. Read every Muscle Car Magazine you can and study the pictures of the cars especially the details of the engines, and running gear.

You will need a high quality pin vise and high carbon micro drill bits, if you don't already have them. Micro/Dental brushes for puting just a tiny bit of paint on very small details, and applying minute amounts of glue and/or epoxy to areas where you are working with small detail parts like photo etched emblems etc.. Quality pointed tweezers, both straight and curved for holding very small parts. 52 teeth per inch razor saw, and mitre box. Sanding sticks in several of the finer grits, wet and dry sanding cloth 280, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2400, 3200. 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 grits. Polishing compound( I use NOVUS #2 and #1 ), Flanel polishing cloths. A wide Needle for you airbrush.

As a War Gammer you should have most of the rest of the tools you will need.

You flock the carpets etc. in a model car the same way you do a figure base, but with model cars you use finer flockind material. The washes that you have probably already learned to use on Wargaming Figures and vehicles can be use to make molded on details more 3D.

If you need help just ask and the people on the Forum Will Be Glad to help you!

CHEERS!

Just stay here and visit this forum regularly, all your questions and doubts will be answered, just feel free to ask anything and don't ever think that any question could be stupid, we all started from the bottom also! B) I know of one of the Australian builders here, he goes by plumber and he is a great guy that can also help you!!!