Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spaz-stix

New Spaz Stic? How new? I have had some for 2-3 years.

;)

They recently reformulated; it's even more reflective, they now offer a black base and clear. That said, with hobby equipment it's pretty much the same but slightly better reflectivity, and it was already better than Alclad. I haven't tested the new stuff w/any clears, I don't think in our scale it will work.

You can check out the new Spaz Stix on their website; they recently were blowing out the old stuff for a good discount. Both are fine.

Thanks for all the help. I don't own an airbrush & saw that Spaz-Stix chrome paint comes in aerosol.Has anybody tried the aerosol?

JR

I have never used the aerosol for Spaz or Alclad but you can't beat the control you have with an airbrush vs the aerosol, specially for this application.

Thanks for all the help. I don't own an airbrush & saw that Spaz-Stix chrome paint comes in aerosol.Has anybody tried the aerosol?

JR

I have been using Spaz Stix for a couple years now. Switched from Alclad and never looked back. I've used both the air brush ready and the rattle can with great results. And like was said it works great with Tamiya black both laquer and acrylic.It's also much cheaper then Alclad.

Here are some shots of some wheels I did with the aerosol can.

http://www.escalemodels.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6355

I have been using Spaz Stix for a couple years now. Switched from Alclad and never looked back. I've used both the air brush ready and the rattle can with great results. And like was said it works great with Tamiya black both laquer and acrylic.It's also much cheaper then Alclad.

Here are some shots of some wheels I did with the aerosol can.

http://www.escalemod...?showtopic=6355

Yah, what he said...;)

I was set to order some of this stuff from their site, until I got to checkout and see the $14.38 shipping cost!!!!

So I dig around a little and notice that Spaz-Stix is distributed by Great Planes/Hobbico, which means any hobby shop worth a hill of beans will be able to get the stuff for you, even those that cater primarily to the R/C crowd - which appears to be Spaz-Stix' target demographic.

I'm lucky that I work for a hobby shop, I'll get it at employee discount, and pay no shipping!

Looking forward to trying this stuff, never had much luck with Alclad Chrome (but I looooooove their regular colors!)

I've had great luck with the rattlecan version, too. I haven't use Alclad but I've seen it and I have to say that I think the Spaz stuff is even a bit more reflective - looks exactly to my eyes like what chrome plating should look like, as opposed to kit chrome, which looks exactly like .... plated plastic.

You might try your LHS for it - I know at least one Hobbytown in Austin carries it in the R/C section.

Alclad also comes in aerosol,I think 12$ for 4oz can. That's what I use currently but looking into aquiring some for my airbrush,will look into spaz stick also.

JR

I would post a pic or two of the Spaz-Stix, but pics don't do it justice. Nor do they do Alclad justice. I use the Spaz-Stix because I don't have to use the airbrush to achieve a chrome or polished aluminum look like I do with Alclad............I am lazy and clean-up sucks.

I am lazy and clean-up sucks.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I bought a new Paasche and a compressor over ten years ago and I think I've used it exactly one time. About that time I discovered Tamiya and automotive rattlecan paint and my painting blues went away.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I bought a new Paasche and a compressor over ten years ago and I think I've used it exactly one time. About that time I discovered Tamiya and automotive rattlecan paint and my painting blues went away.

To me, it's the other way around, once I discovered all the advantages of an airbrush, my rattlecan blues were gone..... :D:rolleyes:

No Mark, you are not alone!

Beleive me Marcos, I love the results my airbrush gives me, but to have to drag it out, hook it up, move it to the back porch, clean it up after shooting some little parts, and have to reverse the order of operation, it can be a pain. What I need to do is assemble it all into one wheel-around cart (like my MIG welder)...that might cure my airbrush blues.