• Death Valley Days

• Frontier Town

• Gene Autry

• Gunsmoke

• Hopalong Cassidy

• Roy Rogers

• Tales of the Texas Rangers

• The Town Crier

Lot more than this on the site you can listen to them for free Ive been looking for these for awhile still have not found "The Shadow knows".

In the late 60s and early 70s, I listened to WHO radio out of DesMoines Iowa. At 10:00 PM the would have 15 minutes of news and would follow that with a 15 minute program called Lum & Abner. That was followed by several hours of country music aimed at the truckers. Lum & Abner was originally from the WWII era, and were often heard promoting war bonds. KIOA radio, also out of DesMoines, had a series called Chicken Man, which ran during the mid to latter part of the 60s. I've never been able to find either Lum & Abner nor Chicken Man since.

Chicken-n-n-n Man-n-n-n-n !!!! He's every where, He's every where ! Ah the memories. This program was done by a group of Canadian writers and voice over actors from Toronto and Monteral who worked at CBC Radio ( Canadian Broadcasting Corporation )in the early 70's and went by the stage name The Dr. Bundolo Comedy Hour. These guys used to show up on NPR in the US as well as Dr Demento's radio program. I don't know where you can find any of the Chicken Man programs on the web, but it should be some where.

As a kid, back in the early-mid 50's, we didn't yet have TV at our house, but we did have a monstrous Zenith Transoceanic multiband console radio. With some dial twisting on the FM band, I found that I could pick up the sound track broadcast from Channel 6, WFBM (now WTHR) in Indianapolis, then the NBC affiliate there (also the home station of legendary sports and racing announcer Tom (Iiiiiiit's a neeeeewwww traaaaaack record!) Carnegie). It ws neat to listen to just the soundtrack of those old half hour shows such as the Lone Ranger, and imagine the scenes as they unfolded. Those early TV series were done using many of the sound effects tricks of radio drama's and sitcoms, believe it or not (this was when television broadcasting required two separate, hopefully sychronized broadcasts simultaneously, one for the picture, the other for the sound track). In addition, our local commercial AM station continued carrying most of the existing radio drama's on Saturday and Sunday evenings. I grew addicted to "The Scarlet Pimpernel", a serialized tale of a hero character in France at the time of the French Revolution.

Like Kodiak, I too used to listen to WHO out of Des Moines in the middle 60's, as a college student out in Iowa.

Art

Anyone remember the CBS Radio Mystery Theater during the '70's early '80's?

I used to listen to that every night and considered it the "Twilight Zone" of the radio. ;) Very good story lines and some obscure but good actors did the voices on that program.

A few years ago, I was curious if those episodes were available on CD-------well, I cruised eBay and found all 1300 episodes on CD!

No, I haven't been able to listen to all the shows as of yet! :)

Chicken-n-n-n Man-n-n-n-n !!!! He's every where, He's every where ! Ah the memories. This program was done by a group of Canadian writers and voice over actors from Toronto and Monteral who worked at CBC Radio

Don't think so.

Chicken Man was created by Dick Orkin, who was a production director at WCFL-AM radio in Chicago. First appearance was in 1966 as a segment on WCFL's Jim Runyon show. Runyon was the narrator, Orkin was the voice of Chicken Man throughout all the 195 episodes.

Chicken Man became somewhat of a cult show in Milwaukee back when I had any hair at all and was destroying brain cells with substances other than model glue! :P These days it's "what hair?" and colesterol and heart medication. guess I will just stick to the Prairie Home Companion. :lol:

Not bad but not really a lot there compared to "Internet Archive"

Here's a link to the Shadow plays they have at the moment. Only 5 plays right now though.

http://www.archive.org/details/TheShadow_29'>http://www.archive.org/details/TheShadow_29

And here's a link to the main page,,

http://www.archive.org/

Loads of stuff on there. I've been listening to the "Dimention-X" and "X Minus One" si-fi radio plays. Great classic stuff from the '50's, mostly adaptions of storys by Heinlein, Bradbury, Frederik Pohl and other A-list golden age si-fi authors.

The archive also has movies, vintage cartoons and loads of other stuff.

Thanks for posting, Way before my time but when I was younger they used to play these on the radio. I also listened to a christian show for kids called adventures in odyssey

Live365.com has a lot of great OTR shows. You can become a member and avoid the commercials, or listen free and endure a few ads.

Just type in old time radio and you'll have many choices, one of which is all "Shadow" all the time ☺

Sandy

Don't think so.

Chicken Man was created by Dick Orkin, who was a production director at WCFL-AM radio in Chicago. First appearance was in 1966 as a segment on WCFL's Jim Runyon show. Runyon was the narrator, Orkin was the voice of Chicken Man throughout all the 195 episodes.

Dick Orkin had a radio commercial company with Bert Berdis, known as "Dick and Bert" and, later, "Dick Orkin's Radio Ranch." I still have 15 ips reel-to-reel demo reels of their work. They were the best in radio advertising humor.

Dick Orkin had a radio commercial company with Bert Berdis, known as "Dick and Bert" and, later, "Dick Orkin's Radio Ranch." I still have 15 ips reel-to-reel demo reels of their work. They were the best in radio advertising humor.

Every so often I'll hear a new commercial that sounds an awful lot like him. Is he still doing commercial work?

Guest Johnny

Don't think so.

Brought to you by IBC Rootbeer!!!wink.gif

http://radio-ranch.com/head-honchos.php

Edited by Johnny

Don't think so.

Harry, I remember hearing Chicken Man on WCFL in Chicago, even though I was (and still am) in central PA. At night, I could get AM signals from several states away somehow. I loved Chicken Man, and had forgotten all about him till now. Thanks for digging up a good memory!

Every so often I'll hear a new commercial that sounds an awful lot like him. Is he still doing commercial work?

Dick would be pushing 80 by now, so I doubt it. Bert still has a production company, but I'm not sure if he does any of the writing anymore.

Their style has been copied so many times over the years, it's hard to tell if they did some spots or not, and they and other masters like Stan Freberg seemed to feed off each other, resulting in often similar approaches.

Great thread. I remember when I was a kid (3rd grade to about Sophomore year in high school,) we had WSRO AM-1470 ("Great Radio- WSRO") Which was a good example of a small, full-service local station before some dunderhead bought them and sent them to seed.

Anyway, from 6:00-Midnight, we had David Meuse, who did a big-band show and almost every night, he did an old-time radio show. David's shows are what got me kinda interested in radio- I grew up listening to big-band and classical music, with a lot of Middle Eastern music, too. (My mother is Armenian,) partially because of that, and partially because my parents didn't approve of what was pop music in the 1980s (you DON'T want to know what they think of what's there now!) I never really acquired a taste for most contemporary music, and probably never will for most recent contemporary music.

I also have a bunch of shows on tape, including The Shadow, Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, and Abbot & Costello. I used to like Baby Shnooks, The Bickersons and Amos & Andy.

It's good to know these sites exist, I'll be checking them out.

Charlie Larkin