Model Cars Magazine Forum

So WHo Else Likes and Would Build a Four Door Sedan or Wagon Kit - resin or styrene?

I hear ya, buddy! I've dropped some serious coin on more than a few old 4-door and wagon kits, such as the Jo-Han '68 Fury cop car, and the '61 Olds F-85 and '60 Plymouth wagons. I also snap up any AMT '70 Ford cop car kit whenever one pops up for sale.

While everybody else is wishing for a hardtop version of the new Revell '72 Cutlass (I'd like one, as well), the little voice in my head keeps saying "Man, I hope they tool up a Vista Cruiser version!" :lol: Hmmmm... any resin casters up for that challenge?

A Vista Cruiser would indeed be a prize possesion! I had a real one - a soft, pastel yellow with the woodgrain, all tinted glass, 455, factory A/C, power windows, tilt and cruise. The 455 had a real bad knock so I bought another '72 Vista that was an insurance write off from a wrecking yard and tore it apart. I ended up selling the yellow car but I still have every piece including the factory 8 track player, power seat and power windows that I took from the parts car. I REALLY liked the yellow car and I have regretted selling it many, many times. I have too many projects though and something had to go.

But yeah - I'd vote for a Vista Cruiser in a heartbeat!! :lol::lol::lol:

While everybody else is wishing for a hardtop version of the new Revell '72 Cutlass (I'd like one, as well), the little voice in my head keeps saying "Man, I hope they tool up a Vista Cruiser version!" :rolleyes: Hmmmm... any resin casters up for that challenge?

Who knows, Chuck, as Revell seems to really be listening to the serious builders as much as it can afford to, I wouldn't be real shocked if they did one of those for us.

Of course, I'll buy a bunch. One to modify into a Cutlass Cruiser/F-85 Wagon, and the other to mod into a Buick Sport Wagon, although that would only work if they did a 1968-69, which are different in shape somewhat. Barring that, I'm not above making a Special Deluxe wagon!

Then again.....with a little creative stretching and some careful hacking of plastic and other pieces....B-body Buick/Olds wagon, perhaps?

Charlie Larkin

Why not?

Heck, who saw the '72 kit, or even the Chevy 150 kit, coming even a few years ago? The kit manufacturers seem to be stepping away from the no-brainer subjects, and going after the stuff that's a bit off mainstream, but still marketable. There isn't exactly a glut of station wagon kits in styrene form, and since much of the tooling exists in the drop top kit, who knows what will happen?

Impcon heres my latest model, a replicia of a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere Wagon :

May202010RAMSmeeting004-vi.jpg

May202010RAMSmeeting026-vi.jpg

I bought this body off Jody , Smart resins very inexpensively. Im a member of the Station wagon forums so I got a lot of research help there . Ed Shaver

:) Hi Ed, That's a real cutie, to say the least! righton.gif I don't remember ever seeing many of those around even as a kid back in the '50's, although I am sure they sold a whack of them. Honestly, I always thought that those boxy little Plymouths and Dodges were in their own way, sort of neat. When i was in grade school - around Grade 4 or 5 as I recall, the parents of a Native boy who I went to school with drove a wagon of that style and I remeber it vividly. It was a medium blue in colour and I really liked it. I have always liked station wagons and "Inky's" folks's car was even then, unusual. Inky was the only name I ever knew him by - he was a nice kid and very well liked although I am not sure just how the name "Inly" ever came to be .. still wonder about that to this day dunno.jpg This was around the time of the Cuban Missile Crises but even then, his folks' car was the only one in our neck of the woods.

The car looks good, Ed and I wouldn't miond one of those myself just to set on the shelf until I could get around to doing it. I tried to find a website for Jody - does he have one or did someone else make this car? I'll try to pm you later today... :):):)

Edited by impcon

I love that lil wagon!

I'm excited to hear someone is doing a Crown Vic. I for one would love to see a '69 Dodge Polara, 91-93 Caprice, Caprice wagon, Buick Roadmaster, Caddy Fleetwood. Man I love those cars.

A Town Car would be excellant also.

G

Did someone say Country Squire? I would love a '71 to '72 or a '75 to '78 Country Squire or Colony Park. The red one is a '77 that I had restored in college. The '77 is gone but its replacement is the green '78.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/S5000041-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/S5000037.jpg

I love the stock daily drivers.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/S5000569.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/S5000454II.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/S5000560.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/fordwagonnut/1972FordV.jpg

I would like to see a '95 to '97 Lincoln Town Car, the late 60s to early 70s Dodge full sizers, and what about a '77 to '79 Ford Thunderbird?

Id love to see some plan mundane wagons and 4doors in plastic from the 1960s body styles. ( They made some years ago and they did sell well.) Not all cars in real life on an everyday street are SS,GTs,GTXs,ect. it would be nice to have some variety of other that muscle cars to build. I have converted a few into 4doors and wagons myself.... Ill take them any day over a muscle car everyone has built at least 7 or 8 of by now.

Some people still drive them :D...no this is not mine

DSCI1026.jpg

That one is definitely a survivor. Poor old station wagons - they gave their all and most of them were family cars that were well used and once they were a few years old and the kids had "out grown" the car, they were sold off cheap because they were usually pretty well used up.

We drove a 1985 Buick Electra Estate wagon for a few years that we bought from a scrap metal yard where it been towed to be crushed. We paid $150.00 for it complete with a pair of almost new snow tires laying in the back. It has a little Olds 307 in it with power everything and it sure was affordable to drive even with gas as expensive as it is here. It had been advertised in the local paper twice - once for $500.00 and the second time for $250.00 and no one wanted it. The owner ended up paying to have it hauled to the scrap yard just to get it out of his yard because he was tld by a "mechanic" that it had a bad head gasket. It turned out to be a pin hole in the radiator. I talked to the owner to get him to sign the car over to me and when he told me what all he had done to the car just before "the headgasket went", I couldn't believe it. It had just been services, it had new brakes and shocks all the way around, new exhaust and more. What a score! We replaced the radiator once my brother diagnosed the problem and we put a whack of miles on that car.

We loaned it to our son's girlfriend and she trashed the headliner and then whined about it leaking oil too muc. We picked it upp and drove it for another year before the transmission failed in it and it is sitting on the driveway right now awaiting a turn in the shop. We'll likely use it as our winter beater this coming winter - I hate to but....... We sure liked that car until we got it back with the interior ravaged and abused. What I wouldn't give for a model of that one...

i would most definitely buy and build 4 doors or wagons. i love 'em! i mean who wouldnt want to? most of the time they came woth the bigger engines so you have that and then thers just an enourmous amount of space and they are great for just about everything! but i personally would have to go with a 1983 BMW 733i. thats my baby right now. im VERY protective of my kendall because at one i point i lived in that car and im restoring and modding her right now and it would just be awesome to have a little carbon copy of her sitting on the dash at car shows and whatnot

What I wouldn't give for a model of that one...

I'm right there with you, Gary. I have a 1977 Estate Wagon (first car,) and I had a 1979 Pontiac Catalina Safari that died of a combination of mechanical problems and severe rust. Dad had a 1978 Caprice wagon.

The 1977-90 B-body wagons are great cars and I'd like another one. I think in may respects they're far better than the 1991-96, especially for a quality of materials standpoint.

Your Electra would be a pretty easy car to straighten out. The headliner is super-easy to replace, any good trim shop can handle it not too expensively. The trans...you're stuck with 200-R4 if you have the 307 in it, but those can be rebuilt to be fairly strong. There's a shop that advertises in the Buick Club's magazine that's made something of a specialty of the 200-R4 and 700-R4. It might be worth your while to check into it.

Charlie Larkin

I'm right there with you, Gary. I have a 1977 Estate Wagon (first car,) and I had a 1979 Pontiac Catalina Safari that died of a combination of mechanical problems and severe rust. Dad had a 1978 Caprice wagon.

The 1977-90 B-body wagons are great cars and I'd like another one. I think in may respects they're far better than the 1991-96, especially for a quality of materials standpoint.

Your Electra would be a pretty easy car to straighten out. The headliner is super-easy to replace, any good trim shop can handle it not too expensively. The trans...you're stuck with 200-R4 if you have the 307 in it, but those can be rebuilt to be fairly strong. There's a shop that advertises in the Buick Club's magazine that's made something of a specialty of the 200-R4 and 700-R4. It might be worth your while to check into it.

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie, I agree with you thatthose were pretty good cars. they were still before the computer geeks got involved in the auto industry and made life a living hell for the guy who has the ambition, ability and desire to do as much for himself as he can. We actualy have three of those Buick wagons here and plans are to do something with all three.

The problem with the wagon that i wrote about as far as the headliner goes is the colour. The car has a gray interior which is actually very attractive - it's just brutal to keep clean. We are driving a 89 Crown Victoria right now and coincidentally, it too has a gray interior. I have seen lots of GM wagons in junk yards and I have watched for a good headliner but no luck to date. The supply of parts cars is fast drying up with the price of scrap steel - the yards are crushing anything that weighs anything and that is so sad.I have seen some really decent cars fed to the crusher just because they are heavy. But as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "That;s justthe way it is".

The original transmission had been replaced with a Turbo 350 and I currently have a relacement sitting on my shop floor awaiting the Buick making it onto the hoist. SO yes, we seem to be in perfect agreement, I like the dash on the Buick a lot better than the Caprice or Impala but I really do like the front end on the Chvys more then the Buick. Now, as we said - if only someone would step up to the plate and make a resin kit........ :(:(:(

I would like to see a '95 to '97 Lincoln Town Car, the late 60s to early 70s Dodge full sizers, and what about a '77 to '79 Ford Thunderbird?

these would do just as well with the lowrider community as the Lowrider Cadillac does.... another one would be the 93-96 Fleetwood Brougham....

i see 57-59 chevy 4-door wagon promos on ebay occasionally but they are usually warped.... why are there none in resin? maybe revell could tool up a new 57 4-door wagon to go along with all their other 57 variations... also do the 58 and 59 4-door wagons by sharing tooling with the existing 58 and 59 kits they have

these would do just as well with the lowrider community as the Lowrider Cadillac does.... another one would be the 93-96 Fleetwood Brougham....

i see 57-59 chevy 4-door wagon promos on ebay occasionally but they are usually warped.... why are there none in resin? maybe revell could tool up a new 57 4-door wagon to go along with all their other 57 variations... also do the 58 and 59 4-door wagons by sharing tooling with the existing 58 and 59 kits they have

I have taken it upon myself to ask several resin casters ( via email ) if they have ever considered doing a '59 four door wagon and only one has said that they may have one in the works and it will be a Nomad ( Impala series six passenger four door ). ANother caster has a '59 2 door "phantom" wagon available but I want a stock four door version.

We have to be relentless in letting them know what we would like to see available and what we will purchase for them to really start considering some of the plain jane stuff. The Modelhaus has a really decent '59 sedan delivery and they have their 2 door wagon which is pretty decent except that the roof slopes off towards the back unlike the real car. They could make some improvements on that area plus the inside of the interior bucket at the tailgate - it slopes the wrong way. But I have one and I am not complaining. After all, it is the only decent thing on the market. Which leads me to ask - how difficult would it be to go to a four door wagon being as they already have two 2 door versions available?

I agree with you about sharing tooling with the convertible and hardtop kits - it would likely save some serious dollars and wagons are popular these days - no0 question about it. Problem is that there are not enough real ones left to go around.. As for the old promos - yes, they are usually warped but a good one would make a good master for a resin body. Jimmy Flintstone has a '60 Nomad.. hmmm.. maybe he would do a '59 to go with that... :):):)

the main reason you dont see more of these resin kits is the amount of time it takes to make the master. what with doing all the research then actually mastering the model, its a huge undertaking.ive done two wagons, the 72 torino being the more involved of the two. and it took over a year to get done. many casters are always on the lookout for master builders. if anybody feels up to the task, i'll be willing to concider casting more wagons and 4 drs. keep in mind the masters have to be the quality that your fellow modelers demand. and rightly so, these things aint cheap.