Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey everybody.

My name's Andrew and I've always wanted to build model cars, but I guess I just never had the time to sit down at start. Well I felt that now is a good time as any to start, but I don't know where to begin.

What would you suggest would be a first model car for me, considering that I have never done anything like this before?

What are some of the tools that I would need?

Andrew,

Welcome aboard and welcome to a great forum with a great bunch of people! I know how you feel, I had built cars years ago and stopped, things have changed so much. Keep reading the different topics for a little bit before you buy, several people (much more advanced than me) post threads that you can watch where they take you through different phases of the build, when you find a car to build, take your time and have fun, it's all about having fun, your skills will increase as you go. Let me sign off, be right back with a good thread for you to follow.

Mike

Andrew,

Ok, had to check my memory, there is a very talented guy named Mark Taylor who is posting a "Back to the Basics" guide under "Tips, Tricks and Tutorials", just take your time and take Mark's advice, if you make a mistake (which you will on occasion), ask for help and you will get it. REad all the different topics and take what you need from each one, don't be shy about posting and asking questions, get a subscription to MODEL CARS magazine, and enjoy this great place to learn. When I first signed up in February, I read everything but was too shy to post on the forum, one I started communicating it is amazing how many GOOD people and GOOD builders will be there for you. Enjoy it!!

MIke

Hey everybody.

My name's Andrew and I've always wanted to build model cars, but I guess I just never had the time to sit down at start. Well I felt that now is a good time as any to start, but I don't know where to begin.

What would you suggest would be a first model car for me, considering that I have never done anything like this before?

What are some of the tools that I would need?

If you wish to have specific info, please list some cars you'd like to build, or the era you're interested in.

I would suggest some 1/24 (ex-)Monogram cars to start with, you can pick 'm up on feebay relativity cheap they're all glue kits, but not that difficult to build and look nice when finished....

Basic tools needed:

Pliers, to safely cut parts of the sprue's

TM74035.jpg

Modeling knive (no cutter knifes) to clean up the parts

xacto.jpg

Sanding sticks: to removing mold seams etc..

hcar3460-a.jpg

Liquid glue

tam87038.jpg

Paint bottle and brushes(for detail painting)

paintchips_02.jpg

Paint "rattle" can, to paint large area's like a body.

TestorsBlazingBlack1832M.jpg

HTH

Luc Janssens

Belgium

welcome! :) some good advice above ,I would just add that your tools are just as important as the models so try to plan on picking up tools as you need them . I had thirty kits before I figured out I needed more than an x acto knife and toothpicks. :D

hi andrew

i would say make sure you pick a model you like

if you are into muscle cars and your a mopar guy dont start of with a model of a chevy escalade

do some window shopping and once youve found a kit you like come back here and ask if it is a good one

(even though most kits are good there are a few that are just more trouble then they are worth to make into decent models)

keep in mind that the main thing is to have fun

my first model didnt look anywhere near what my last one looked like and im sure the next one will be better still

a lot of these skills only come with practice

so dont get discouraged if you dont get it right the first time and NEVER hesitate to ask if you have any doubts :)

You could check out your local hobby shops and get an Idea...if you wouldnt mind starting at the beginning I would suggest a snap kit.

here are some local shops im not sure on what they offer but wouldnt hurt and they may lead to others

Big Top‎ 650 Lee Blvd # L10b, Yorktown Heights, NY‎ - (914) 962-0000‎

Got a Hobby‎ 742 Bedford Road, Bedford Hills, NY‎

Hobby Shop & Raceway‎ 267 Tomahawk Street, Baldwin Place, NY‎ - (914) 621-0044‎

Good luck on your adventure

-cheerio

Welcome to the hobby! B)

Can't really add much to what's already been said, but the best advice I can give you is if you ever need help, just ask! Just doing something is the best way to learn anything, but sometimes you just need a prod in the right direction!

Hey Andrew! Welcome aboard!

I highly suggest you read up about as much information from the tips and tricks area as well as the work in progress area as you can.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful and will explain even the most rudimentary techniques to you in full detail. It's a big disfunctional family!

We all want your first build to be a great success, and you will learn along the way the do's and don't.

As far as what you should build........build what you like the most, it will give you the most satisfaction. If you like trucks, hot rods, tuners, oldies, convertibles, whatever.... go for it! B)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm particularly interested in Japanese cars, but I'm up to start anywhere. Do you know where I would be able to get a simple cheap one to get my hands on so I have some kind of feel for it?

I would check a hobby lobby or michaels if you have one near there, they are doing a reset and have models on sale. I picked a couple from Hobby lobby the other day for 6.47 apiece...if not ebay would be another cheap place i found a vette on there for 3 or 4 bucks not including shipping....downer is you would have to wait.

Andrew,

Hobby Lobby has a coupon every week for 40 to 50% off, print one up and go shopping! Sometimes you will see something that just jumps out at you, that's the one to build! Print a coupon once a week and shop once a week, great way to start, they also have some basic tools and a lot of odds and ends that will help as you get more advanced. Ebay is pretty good after you get a little more knowledge of what you need or want to buy.

See, told ya everybody would jump in to help, wish the world worked like the forums!!

Mike

It's a big disfunctional family!

*Searching for inner Gary Owen for voice-over...* "MCM Forum! Putting the 'fun' back in dysfunctional!"

In all seriousness, this is a nice forum with lots of great people and you'll learn a lot from them.

You said you like Ricers. Unofortunately, many of the Japanese car models are quite expensive, as most of the kits are made in Japan and the Yen/Dollar ratio and shipping costs puts the prices up quite high.

I would suggest starting out with a good, fairly simple glue kit or one of the better snap-together kits made by AMT Lindberg or Revell. A nice snapper that's very satisfying to build is the Revell 1994-96 Chevy Impala SS. It looks REALLY good when it's done and it's challenging enough to be interesting.

For supplies:

Nippers for cutting off parts from the sprues.

An X-Acto #1 hobby knife, or equivalent, with #11, chisel and razor saw blades. You might need the razor blade for removing parts you can't get the nippers on/around/near easily.

Testors tube cement. Many here will scream at this. I like it for big, fiddly assemblies or when I want something that sets up slowly and buys you time to play with parts.

Liquid cement. I like Testors, but Tamiya and Ambroid Pro-Weld are both good, too.

A good assortment of paints. Start out with Testors enamels. They're not expensive and when applied properly, look good. Testors Model Master line, Humbrol and Tamiya are all good products, too.

A spray can of gray automotive primer. I use Plasti-Kote T235 or Valspar sandable primer available at the big chain craft stores. Most guys use Dupli-Color. Make sure it says "sandable" on the can. This is necessary for getting the best coverage out of any paint you'd choose.

A wide variety of wet-or-dry sandpaper, from 150 to at least 1500. Any good hardware store should have that.

A pair of tweezers for small parts.

Small clamps.

Toothpicks for stirring paint and holding small components.

Good-quality brushes.

You don't have to buy all at once, but spend a little extra for the tools. They'll last longer and you'll get better results. Any competent hobby shop can point out what you need. To that end...go to a good hobby shop, not one of these box stores. Yes, you will pay more, but the advice and help is indispensable. The good shops will also carry the subject matter of your overall preference, so it's good to acquaint yourself with them.

Welcome aboard.

Charlie Larkin