Model Cars Magazine Forum

Central Florida clubs or shows??

Lets do this. Compile a list on this thread of interested members. Every person copy the list from the person who posted before and add yours to it. When we have everyone, we'll plot out our hometowns and see if we have a central location that is a reasonable distance. I'll start it off.

<Jantrix> Rob Mattis, Tampa FL.

I already did that, Rob. Here's the list.

Doug McCabe Doug McCabe Clermont

Swifster Tom Allen Mulberry

Crazyjim Jim Stepanek Citrus Springs

My66s55 Doug Craig Debary

1320Wayne Wayne Stevens Daytona Beach

Sclautobldr Mike Gordon Orlando

Bobbyj Robert Jernigan Hudson

Jantrix Rob Mattis Tampa

MikeD1 Mike Dieteman Springhill

GrandpaMcGurk Don Garret Ocklawaha

I made a copy of Florida from an atlas and plotted the cities. Looks to me like Clermont is in the middle.

clerrmont is about an hr. from me strieght up sr50 and without a license and a ride it would be hard for me to show up. as much as i'd like to go. ill see what i can do. would like to see some pics of the show i didnt get to make it up there i was turning rims for my dart all day. lol

Lets do this. Compile a list on this thread of interested members. Every person copy the list from the person who posted before and add yours to it. When we have everyone, we'll plot out our hometowns and see if we have a central location that is a reasonable distance. I'll start it off.

<Jantrix> Rob Mattis, Tampa FL.

(Grandpa McGurk) Don Garrett, Ocala FL. (actually Ocklawaha, Ocala National Forest)

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I would like to shed a little light on a few points that were touched on (as I am keeping an eye on this thread being it could very well end in a club in my old/returning backyard).

Right now, I live in Dayton, Ohio and the model club (Buckeye Scale Auto Club) I belong to is located in Columbus. Big deal you say? The door-to-door mileage for me is 68 miles, one way and through some nasty traffic (I-71, 270, and I-70 can all be a pain!). Sometimes it can be quite annoying. Second; it is on the first Thursday of the month at 7:30pm. I leave work at 4:30pm. It takes me an hour and thirty minutes to get there. I can tell you that I am dragging tail at work Fridays because of being at the meeting late Thursday night, then having the trip back home to deal with. I would strongly consider a group consensus be taken and work from there. Weekdays do not really work for those with 9-5 jobs and a commute to/from the meeting. When I worked 4 10 hour days (weekends), Thursday night worked fine.

Just some things to consider.

Jim, I definately don't think that you are dealing with a bunch of people that don't care. When you try to establish something new there's always some hesitation, especially when you have folks spread out as far as we have in this situation. It's going to be tough to come up with a solution that meets the approval of enough people to make it worth while. If you are passionate enough to want to really get something going then simply keep trying and communicating until you come up with the right time, the right date and the right location for enough people to get together to discuss how to put something like this together.

That was my frustrations coming out, Wayne. Doug has been suggesting Clermont from the beginning and now that it's getting close, people are starting to bail and no alternate place/time has been suggested. What good does it do for only 2 people to meet?

Edited by crazyjim

I'm sorry guys, as Mike said, Clermont is just too far. I have a IPMS chapter here in Clearwater I can hang with, though I haven't yet touched base with them yet. MAG's is a small local club that isn't accepting members right now. Good bunch of guys though.

Alright already! Open to suggestions. I had suggested people who are close to each other get together. As far as starting the club, ITS ON. Who ever wants to be involved with the forming, contact me. As far as being a part, having a interest in Model Car building gets you in. I am open to how we should communicate as a group. I want the camaraderie that this group could have, even by computer mostly. Yes it would be nice to get together but if that is not possible, then you go another way. Yes there is a need for this and I personally want it. I do not want what we like to do go by the wayside!!! If we only meet up at shows or if I travel to your local meetings so be it. I want to see local interest worked on by those on this list. Any comments???

I don't know if any of the St.Cloud guys are still building (Bob Knowles and Harry D'Martino come to mind, as they were officers of the Club that met at Bobs place), but being St.Cloud/Kissimmee is halfway between Clermont/Tampa (and knowing how a long commute can kill enthusiasm) I might think of someone who is fairly close to that area. Orlando (depending on where at in/around) could also serve as a venue area; post up a flyer at Colonial Photo and see what happens. Of all the people in Florida, there HAS to be some who build. If you have to go Florida-wide with satellite chapters, that could be done as well. Each satellite have its own meeting time/location with one overall meeting of the chapters on a given date/time/venue. Think of it as your own state-wide model car show/contest/NNL.

Edited by whale392

I'm sorry guys, as Mike said, Clermont is just too far. I have a IPMS chapter here in Clearwater I can hang with, though I haven't yet touched base with them yet. MAG's is a small local club that isn't accepting members right now. Good bunch of guys though.

hey rob!!!

i talked to david knight he told me i could join up with him!!! lol

I think the satellite chapter idea is the only way to go. look in your area for others to get together with and I will see about getting around to the different meetings as I can. Some people are close enough to get together and work on interest in their area. How about a name like Model Car Builders of Florida to cover all interests??? As groups get together, let me know and who is in them. Thanks all!!