Model Cars Magazine Forum

emodels? Anyone on there?

Hello all, im looking at emodels as a place to buy some kits other than ebay , parts,etc. since I new and have nothing to trade here yet. Anyone on there? Im kinda concerned about listing my address, phone number and other information. Im pretty secure with that stuff. What are your thoughts? :lol:

Drew C. from S.C.

I been looking for a site also to sell some built models on as I have one right now listed on another site (not eBay either), it's a 1:25 1959 Impala Convertible but I check out emodels site and to me it seems pretty dead. I went through the site last night thinking about putting my model on there and after looking for bids on things to see how active the site was and couldn't find a single auction with a bid on. I registered on there afew months back but haven't really posted anything on emodels due to it kinda seems to be dead :blink::blink:

I feel similar about it, I can't find a single bid on anything and there are some nice items that are reasonably priced. I had some kits on there for almost a week, nothing. Put the same kits on ebay and I already have several watchers for each kit. I guess if people want to spend more money than necessary, I'll stick with eBay. It just sucks because it costs to list items there, and on emodelcars it's free. I thought there would be a lot of activity there, with lots of kits and parts. Not so much, but it was worth a shot. Maybe somebody should spread the word about it, I don't know lol. :blink:

Thank you both for your reply! Im looking for an alternative to buy parts, kits since im new to the hobby again. Maybe the moderators might consider putting an area in for selling direct for use newbies! Seems like the local flea markets are pretty dried up on kits now too! Thanks for sharing your input. Any others? Drew C.

I have an account on Emodels since it's very beginning. But I so far have never traded on it, simply because nothing I was particularily looking for was on offer there.

Ebay is still no. 1, but seems to be on the retreat when it comes to offers from private sellers. The official statistics confirm my impression. Ebay evolves into a platform, where commercial sellers offer their wares for 'buy it now' prices, for the private guy selling a few of his surplus triplet or quadrulept model kits, it became a legal minefild best to be avoided. Ebay seems to encourage this. Consequently, less and less 'old' stuff from private collections is offered on Ebay. I haven't yet figured out where this business is shifting, but it certainy is not to Emodels, by the looks of it.

Ask people who might have what you want to send you a private message. That's a way to give info without it going out wholesale on the board for every eyeball to wander over. I've contacted several members of this forum that way, and made some good trades and 1 sale, but we won't talk about that.

Gary

Balad, Iraq

Edited by BigGary

I've had great luck with emodelcars.com.

I used to do a monthly update here on the site about number of auctions being run, amount of people registered but it never got much for views or looks.

Sure, it's not ebay, but it is free and it is directed towards the modeler. Listing is free unless you want premium additions and then those aren't very much either. At one point the site had well into 300 items.

How can anybody buy anything if you don't list it? It's free, try it out.

I've sold well over 100 items on there myself. The only thing is, you have to start out the kit at what you want out of it. Add buy it now on your auction as well.

It's pretty versatile site.

IF you need help with anything there let me know.

Chris

if the lack of items on emodelcars deters you, I found a new site that is similar to eBay only in that it has more than just model cars to bid on or sell. It is also free to list, and you can run items until they sell. I'm not meaning to take business away from emodelcars, but I feel it's people's right to choose where they want to spend their money, especially if it isn't on eBay lol:

eBid Online Auctions (US Site)

There are also eBid sites for other countries if you don't live in the US:

http://www.ebid.net/

I like it!

I've been watching Emodelcars for a while now and like others I've noticed that there isn't much action going on there. Don't know why, especially since it's free. I just posted about 20+ items on there in the last two days. I hope at least some sell. We'll see. As far as the worries about my info being on there, my thought is, if someone wants to steal my identity I pity them. LOL

Later-

if the lack of items on emodelcars deters you, I found a new site that is similar to eBay only in that it has more than just model cars to bid on or sell. It is also free to list, and you can run items until they sell. I'm not meaning to take business away from emodelcars, but I feel it's people's right to choose where they want to spend their money, especially if it isn't on eBay lol:

eBid Online Auctions (US Site)

There are also eBid sites for other countries if you don't live in the US:

http://www.ebid.net/

I like it!

No offense, but I just checked your ebid link out and, other than offering free listings, I'm not sure what you, as a model builder, see in it. I followed the categories from "Cars" (roughly 1,800 listings) to "Models" (roughly 1,000 listings) and discovered that, despite that heading, it's 99.9% diecast cars (everything from Matchbox to BBurago).

As moribund as emodelcars may be, I'd still check there any day before I bothered with ebid again.

I started eModelCars as a service to the readers of Model Cars Magazine.

It is a free service, to list, buy, or sell any model.

Yes, the action on the site is low, but it will stay that way without input and use by our readers.

I will be looking into paid advertising in other magazines, and maybe online sites soon.

If you want to contribute some money for the advertising campaign, my PayPal account is gregg@modelcarsmag.com

Please feel free to contribute to this free service for our readers.

Rolls of unmarked twenty dollars bills are also gladly accepted.

If you have any ideas on expanding or making eModelCars better, please let me know, or better yet, take some action or initiative on your own.

I do appreciate all the help, and I have never profited from the site (yet).

I think there has been about $25 collected in highlighted auction fees over the past two years.

No offense, but I just checked your ebid link out and, other than offering free listings, I'm not sure what you, as a model builder, see in it. I followed the categories from "Cars" (roughly 1,800 listings) to "Models" (roughly 1,000 listings) and discovered that, despite that heading, it's 99.9% diecast cars (everything from Matchbox to BBurago).

As moribund as emodelcars may be, I'd still check there any day before I bothered with ebid again.

because even though I really enjoy this hobby, there is more to life than model cars. :lol: On eBids I can list anything, not just models. With the money I'll save from listing fees for other items (and I personally have a lot that needs to go), it gives me extra spending money that I wouldn't originally have as much of (that maybe I could use for.... models. So for me personally, it's a win win. I did a search for Revell, AMT, etc and it gave back a decent amount of results. It's not identical to eBay, but it is growing. I keep checking back to see what's been listed on emodelcars as well, and basically I'm just waiting to bid on something I actually want B):rolleyes:;)

I started eModelCars as a service to the readers of Model Cars Magazine.

It is a free service, to list, buy, or sell any model.

Thank you for your reply. Im just not wild about putting personal info online sites. Woundering how secure the site is thats all.

Drew C. from S.C.

Drew, no one sees your information unless you buy or sell something. I've been on there since 2007 and have had no problems whatsoever.

Chris

Chris, thank you. Thats what I was looking to read. It must be sorta like ebay? I will look into it as it seems like an alternative to ebay. Dont get me wrong ebay is good but shipping costs from some sellers are pretty expensive compaired to other sights.

Drew C. from S.C.