Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Mustang Pro Touring

shucky

Started a new project recently and thought I'd share some mock up's and a little progress. This one will be finished and I'm hoping to keep the updates coming as best as I can. Most of the time I start projects with building the engines first, which gets me in trouble because I start to lose steam as the rest of the project progresses. So as with my last build (which I finished) I'm taking the same approach with this project, working on other area's first and the engine secondary. I found last time I was much more ramped up to keep the build progressing because I had so many area's of the build in various states of completion as opposed to just building an engine with little else done on other area's. Thats not saying no motor work will be done, mock up's for fitment and scratch building parts will be done, but I'll save final detailing and the majority of the work till a bit later in the build. So follow along and be patient if your interested!

The new build is a 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 kit from Revell. I have naughty visions of this being a ridiculous Pro Touring build, so wish me luck! Whats planned - shaved and smoothed engine compartment, body, etc. Widened Sportec 10 spokes cast in resin in aluminum sleeves. And a big block Ford with Formula 1 Cosworth cylinder heads (scratch built & cast in resin), wearing vintage Cosworth covers (resin) and the likes of two turbochargers (resin). Much more as the journey begins!

So lets begin. To get the Mustang to sit right and as low as humanly possible much hacking of the engine compartment had to take place. The molded shock towers keep any sort of wide tire from sitting up as high as possible in the front fender wells. I took the mini saw blade to the firewall removing the master cylinder and to both sides of the inner fender area's to remove all the material needed that was blocking the tires from tucking up. Once satisfied, I start rebuilding the missing area's with styrene bits. The firewall and inner fenders will be skinned with thin styrene stock as progress continues. Some pics of early progress and mock up below.

Stock, hacking, start to rebuild:

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

Thanks for the early replies fella's. I forgot to mention in my tired state of mind last night that some of the items created for this build will be cast in resin and made available. The wheel centers for the rear are already in rubber ready to pour and the fronts are about a week off. The aluminum sleeves along with various center sections will be available in the not so distant future. I'll keep you guys informed through here and my fotki. Thanks for the compliments so far!

Thanks for the early replies fella's. I forgot to mention in my tired state of mind last night that some of the items created for this build will be cast in resin and made available. The wheel centers for the rear are already in rubber ready to pour and the fronts are about a week off. The aluminum sleeves along with various center sections will be available in the not so distant future. I'll keep you guys informed through here and my fotki. Thanks for the compliments so far!

Nice build Mike , and for anyone thinking about checking out his products i can vouch for him, he does outstanding work, and his products are great! better get em when you can! :huh:

Edited by Aftashox

The sleeves will be my own in various sizes. TorqueWrench, we're all here to share! If something I did gave you an idea or helped in any way feel free buddy. I seem to be on a Mustang kick myself lately lol. I finished the firewall last night, pics coming later tonight.

Edited by shucky

Well as promised an update, but not a very interesting one I guess :) The firewall is back in, although it needs a little trimming on the bottom end and the patch panel on the drivers side inner fender has been also placed. Passenger side inner fender patch panel already cut and is awaiting shaping and trimming. Once that is done I'll re-skin both inner fender wells (top and sides) with very thin styrene and rebuild the shock towers from the inside a bit. Hopefully more interesting updates coming this weekend :lol:

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

Great stuff! 1 question where can I find the wheels your working with?

Thanks man! The wheel centers should be available in about a week in resin. The sleeves are not ready yet but you probably could use other aluminum sleeves just as well. I'll keep everyone posted on the wheels. I'll probably post some pics of the resin rears tomorrow and the fronts during the week.

Well as promised, I was able to cast the rear wheel centers tonight. I cast a couple in white and also a couple in matte silver. They scale out to right about 21 inches w/out sleeves. Once I do a gang mold this week the rears will be available. Fronts also being worked this week. More to come.

Fresh out of the mold

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

A quick clean up with a new #11 Xacto

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg