Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any tips for making the belts look realistic on an engine?

I've been having a heck of a time making the molded on belts look realistic. I'm working on a Silver 92 from the AMT K100 Aerodyne at the moment.

I was thinking about punching out some new pulleys and using rubber bands as belts but that may be more work than it's worth.

If anyone has some ideas or tips they'd care to share, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Mike

Mike,

The molded pulleys and belts on some kits are not so good. On others they are OK considering the small scale. I have seen some people manufacture pulleys in the lathe and then use a small elastic band or something like that with good effect. For me I tend to make do with what's in the kit and then try and disguise any imperfections. One of the irritations with the molded belts is the position of the pulleys in relation to the items they are supposed to be driving. Some pulleys are no where near any items so why are they there. What I tend to do is to research the engine to find out what should be where and what auxillary devices were available. When I built my 1/16 scale Detroit I carried out a lot of research on the particular engine to be sure I got the right number of belts, pulleys, auxillary equipment and made sure the auxillaries where in the right place.

post-210-1282479687946_thumb.jpg

post-210-12824797203714_thumb.jpg

I use small strips of plastic and fabricate the pulleys and then just glue them together and sand them to suit.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the help guys!

The turned pulleys and electrical tape look nice. I don't have a lathe but I can punch out plastic disks which should come very close to the real deal.

After seeing the pictures, I think I'll give it a shot.

Mike