Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chi-Town Hustler

iBorg

Slixx shows the correct color choice as HOUSE OF KOLORS-KANDY APPLE RED #K1101 OVER PEARL WHITE.

The next question is which decal sheet is best. I noticed the rear wheels have beadlocks. Guess that's one thing I'll be changing. Also, I wish Revell would have left off the molded in seat belts. I much prefer to use photo-etch.

Mike

Well I thought I would throw in my 2 cents, this is the first new funny car kit from revell in years, that being said I was around the real car and saw alot of it in it's day.Funny cars back then were made to race, match race and make some money if possible

I think looking at the restored car it doesn't look anything like when I saw or photographed 40 years ago.I think this is a case that sometimes happens where a car is way over restored chromed and polished.Does anyone remember the car being painted that color???

I'm posting some pictures Photographers unknown "sorry". But that being said it's a great kit. Remember Revell is taking a chance with a huge investment on these kits.

I do hope a lot of us buy a lot of the kits. I gave my wife the hint that it would make a great birthday present.

I'm clearing my bench for it. It looks like a great canvas to add a lot of detail to. Also, I agree the restoration is a bit too nice, although aren't most of them?

Mike

Well I thought I would throw in my 2 cents, this is the first new funny car kit from revell in years, that being said I was around the real car and saw alot of it in it's day.Funny cars back then were made to race, match race and make some money if possible

I think looking at the restored car it doesn't look anything like when I saw or photographed 40 years ago.I think this is a case that sometimes happens where a car is way over restored chromed and polished.Does anyone remember the car being painted that color???

I'm posting some pictures Photographers unknown "sorry". But that being said it's a great kit. Remember Revell is taking a chance with a huge investment on these kits.

Looks like the rear wheels in the Maz/SWC Willys would have been a better choice.

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind building a replica of the restored car, I would just rather they pick one or the other, it seems like they used period-correct parts on the engine, but the wheels from the restoration. Either make an accurate replica of the car today, or an accurate replica of the car 40 years ago, don't mix-and-match

As modelers we constantly ask for model companies to give us newly tooled kits. Then when they deliver we proceed to tear them apart with criticism. I for one am extremely ecstatic that this kit is now available. I have wanted to build this kit for years but was not willing to shell out the money for a proper resin body to do the side shifted engine location. Now I don't have to worry about it. And if I want to build a vintage version, using this kit , all I have to do is reach into the parts box, pull out the period correct wheels, and maybe a few other small detail changes and I am good to go. Based on what I have seen so far, in pictures, Revell did an outstanding job on this kit. I will most likely build one of each era, to display side by side.

And for those interested in the original color, the car was candy apple red. If old photos reflect differently remember, their "old" photos.

Any of the Polar Lights kits will provide the neccessary wheels to do the original version. And since those kits came with three sets of wheels you won't be hurting that kit to rob them from.

As modelers we constantly ask for model companies to give us newly tooled kits. Then when they deliver we proceed to tear them apart with criticism. I for one am extremely ecstatic that this kit is now available.

I`ll second that. B) Anyone remember some of the kits we had to work with back in the 80`s? I`ll only mention the dreadful 2 piece slicks.

this is one of those kits that i want to buy and build even though i don't really have an interest in the subject. the new style wheels are interesting to me and i know that they will find use on another project, definitely no deal breaker for me.

i'm not really into late 60's-early 70's funny cars in scale but this kit is one of those unique and interesting subjects that makes you take a second look. it looks like a fun build and it's got me wanting to buy something that i previously wouldn't have been interested in, kudos to Revell for that.

Dave

I was thinking the same thing. The real 1:1 car is before my time, and I wasn`t interested in building an older funny car, but after reading what others have posted and seeing the parts and the completed model on the box, I think I need to get this kit. Revell has been coming out with some really great stuff lately IMO. Some not perfect, but definitely much better than what I have been used to in the 80`s, 90`s, and even early 00`s.

What has me puzzled is that the hood is a seperate piece? I can understand that in this way, they could use the same body for the Hustler and the Hawaiian but what about the roof escape hatches? On the Hustler it would be on the left of the roof and on the Hawaiian, it would be centered? Seems like they should have just tooled up two different bodies?

Edited by Ben

My guess (and a guess is all it is) is that the roof hatches can be done differently on the same mold through the use of an insert, sort of like how vinyl tops can be added or deleted.

Yes, exactly. Find those little mold seams we all know and love, and you've found where the insert goes into the mold.

Ben,

Not all of the funny cars back then had roof hatches. The Hustler was the exception, not the rule.

The Hawaiian didn't have a roof hatch. So, you'll need to fill the hatch lines when building that car.

As for the Jungle Jim Nova, the red car had a Hemi, so all you would need is the body and tinwork.

Jim Kampmann

I think you can rest assured that they would not have invested the money in the tooling if they didn't, Ben, and the possibilities for future variants are what have me REALLY excited! Topping my want list would a Jungle Jim Nova and/or Camaro and either/both of those would seem logical for a number of reasons:

* The Nova has never been offered in a 1/25 scale plastic kit ... the Camaro has, sort of, but it was based on the wretched tooling that was also used to produce the "Funny Hugger." In fact, the Jungle Jim version was essentially the Funny Hugger with JJ decals.

* Jungle Jim funny car kits are among the top-selling drag car model kits of all time, and JJ remains a folk hero and all-time favorite among older modelers/drag racing fans.

* Revell has a long-standing relationship with Jungle Jim and his estate.

* Either/both could be done with a minimum of new tooling ... new bodies/interior tins and a big-block Chevy motor would be all it would take.

Hey Ken, yeah, a Nova or Camaro done correctly would be sweeeet! I have the Funny Hugger (at least they named it correctly) as well as the Dick Harrell 69 Camaro kit. I'm not sure how accurate the Dick Harell kit is, as I don't have many real pictures to reference too but having the knowledge of funny cars in general, I can see it blows the Funny Hugger kit out of the water!

What i'd kill to see re-released is all the Aurora Racing Scenes stuff!!!! I have everything in the series except the two complete car kits. I'm on the hunt for em though!!!

Edited by Ben

Ben,

Not all of the funny cars back then had roof hatches. The Hustler was the exception, not the rule.

The Hawaiian didn't have a roof hatch. So, you'll need to fill the hatch lines when building that car.

As for the Jungle Jim Nova, the red car had a Hemi, so all you would need is the body and tinwork.

Jim Kampmann

Ahh, I did not know that. Filling the seams would be easy!

Of course you could also change the roll cage and the interior tin on the Hustler for an interesting flip top gasser.

Can't wait to get my hands on one. Might even finish it but why ruin my record?

Mike

LOL, if someone will paint the body, i'll finish it for sure! I get to that point and lose interest a lot of times. I can paint and have a good airbrush, I just don't like that part!

I've heard from several reliable sources the MPC Harrell Camaro is the most accurate funny car of that era. Of course, it hasn't been reissued and seems to have disappeared. The other Camaro funny car kits including the AMT Funny Hugger and its variants, the Revell Camaro which was reissued as the Jungle Jim car, as well as the MPC USA-1 Camaro and its variants are all lackluster attempts that require major work to make them accurate.

Mike