Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post your ford street rods please

I'm loving this thread!! I did a few cars that fit in this catagory quite a while ago but nothing for a long time. But, currently, I've been on a street car kick, and I've got 3 34 Fords, a 27 Ford, a 29 Ford, and a 37 Chevy all in progress. One of the Fords is a Revell 34 that's much maligned but since it's a custom/hot rod, who cares if it's not quite right!!

34 Ford Pickup from Lindberg (Ex-AMT) kit

Waddingtons006-vi.jpg

36 Ford

9105099-vi.jpg

Both of these are pretty darn crappy!

• 3 weeks later...

AMT `32 Vicky with a long ram 413.

32ford413a.jpg

I love using different engines from the normal small block Ford & Chevy.

32ford413b.jpg

This is a tribute to my late friend Dave Dickash. This is a replica of his much-loved all steel Deuce.

dadeucefinished1.jpg

As I was saying....

p1127160370374.jpg

I love using unusual engine choices. Here I used a 6 cylinder Jaguar w/ 3 deuces.

p1127160392441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a ford, but greatly influenced by the 40 ford

Willys2.jpg

Willys3.jpg

Revell Big John 40 Willys. Top has been chopped 3 scale inches. Body has been sectioned 4 inches through the beltline. 40 ford rear fenders grafted in. Front and rear fenders widened 3 scale inches. Chassis is out of the AMT 39 wagonrod. It was shortened to alter the wheelbase. The four link rear has been modified to a four link trianglulated rear to better fit the Willys floorboard. The engine has not been decided as of this junction in time. Leaning right now towards the Hemi in the kit with the EFI out of AMT's 71 Duster street machine.

A rip-off of Steve Millberry

Red29side1.jpg

red29hoodless.jpg

The chassis on this one is a modification of the chassis in any of the revell Lil John Buttera kits. Body is standard AMT 29 roadster smoothed. Engine is out of the Revell Speedwagon kit. Exhaust is hand formed from wire. Interior is still being built as the floorboards, sidewalls and rear bulkhead have been custom made from .40 styrene. The seat is from the same speedwagon kit.

Hey Ajay, any info on either of the two green roadsters would be appreciated. Great looking rods!!!!!

Hi Ken

As they were built about 4 years ago I'm a little hazy on the details but as far as I can remember the one with the Duvall windsheild used a Replicas & Minatures resin body & grille shell - the grille insert was from the MCG detail set. I think the flathead was from the Revell-Monogram 50 Ford P/U with R&M Offenhauser heads.

Pretty much the same goes for the metallic green lo-boy - I think the chopped grille was also from MCG and the tyres/Offy heads/beehive oil filter/air filters were from R&M.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

My most recent rod (and its several years old now!)

17_jpgphwj4PAB5sXp24gM-vi.jpg

39 Chevy... Kind of a bodywork test mule (note to self... don't bother photographing black models!)

DeepBlack_jpgph5cDQAB_ADWKfIb-vi.jpg

Some of my stuff from the late 80's-early 90's...

aStreetRod_jpgphRmDQABXkZpwdb1-vi.jpg

40FordPS1-vi.jpg

41Viper3-vi.jpg

37Ford1-vi.jpg

P1010010-vi.jpg

EarlierModels016-vi.jpg

EarlierModels018-vi.jpg

Friends and I restored this old 40 Ford custom for the SLC museum...

File0045-vi.jpg

Tom wrote: Man I love that little rat can ya tell what kits you used.

Tom,

It's made up mostly from parts in my junk box! But this is what I remember....

Front radiator is the Fire Truck.

Wheels are AMT '36 Ford.

Body is from Revell or AMT parts pack.

Driver - Boothill Express

Engine - couple of '50 Monogram pickup blocks

Frame....i think I built it.

Front axle - Revell '31 Ford

Intake manifold - 2 '50 Ford pieces AMT

Rear axle - I don't remember

Fuel Tank - Piewagon

Taillight - T'rantula headlight with red bullet lense.

Headlights... I don't know

That's about it...

8)

Jairus, your V-12 (or is it 16?) gave me the idea of building a straight-8 using 2 Model A flathead 4 motors. I've recently seen 2 1:1 rat rods, one used a Packard motor (with a McCullough centrifugal blower) and the other has a Pontiac straight-8 with 7 Stromberg carbs. (There are pics of them on my website in the Cruisin section: http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin06/060607/060607.html

I think this might be a real good basis for a rat based on the Beverly Hillbillies 23 Olds. I'll post some pics when I have something cobbled up.

In the hopes of answering all your questions… I am posting these pictures of the Rat Rod.

Engine is indeed a V12 made by gluing the front 6 cylinders of one block and the rear 6 cylinders of another Monogram 1950 Ford pickup block. The hard part was hiding the seam of course.

P1010189.jpg

P1010191.jpg

P1010192.jpg

P1010193.jpg

Radiator is American LaFrance from the Fire Engine however I replaced the core with photoetched screen stacked about 4 – 6 layers thick so you can actually see through it. Note the dried antifreeze stains!

P1010195.jpg

P1010196.jpg

Brass bent into a steering knuckle and a steel pin insure that the steering will remain strong and move smoothly.

P1010198.jpg

On the floor is a red tool box/tray. The driver’s right hand is holding the knob of a long shift-lever. In his lap is a pearl handled revolver. Note the cotton “smokeâ€.

P1010199.jpg

Enjoy. 8)

Two more that were started recently.

Needed a bare metal car in the garage.

BMFRoadster.jpg

Revell 32 Roadster covered with BMF. Frame is in MM Buffing Stainless Steel. A bit darker color than the BMF. Engine and running gear will be out of the kit. Color has not been decided for the Engine and such just yet.

Revell 40 Ford standard kit with dropped front axle from the Pro-Modeler issue of the 40 convert. Engine goodies are from the same kit

40Ford1.jpg

40Ford2.jpg

40Ford3.jpg

Body sectioned 3 inches through beltline. Top chopped 3 inches as well. Fenders will be molded to the body and bumpers may be deleted. Still working out the small details before going any further.