Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the new Chevy Coupe for 2239!!

Raul_Perez

I made it home safely. Almost didn't make it to the airport though. Almost fell asleep going down that big hill. But I made it and I am home. Get this done and I got the kit I sent myself the day before yesterday. Will get it going soon.

I'm glad to hear that you got home safely. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope to see you again sometime.

nice ... nice ... nice! I like the way this is headed. :)

Thanks!!

I need to find a new source for the type of primer I like to use. The hardware store in town where I was buying it went out of business and the other stores don't carry the same brand.

Here's a few pics of how it looks now while it waits for some sanding and a bit more primer. The basic shape on the right side and the rear is done. The left side still needs the filler panel for the running board and the rib on the bottom to be added.

DSC07731-vi.jpg

DSC07724-vi.jpg

DSC07728-vi.jpg

Here's how the top of the body lifts off for assembly.

DSC07734-vi.jpg

Well, that's all for now...I've still got a lot of fabricating and a bit of putty work to do before this one gets a final coat of primer...

Later,

Wow. I'm really seeing a styling difference between this and your Stude. The Stude looked very modern and would have been right at home in the 5th Element. This one screams black and white 1940's sci-fi movie to me. I'm really enjoying watching this come together. I'd like to see more art deco influences here, I think it will really fit the build. Maybe some Cord/Mercedes exhaust tubes from the hood sides through the fender and some Delahaye style chrome around the lower edges of the body.

Edited by Jantrix

Wow. I'm really seeing a styling difference between this and your Stude. The Stude looked very modern and would have been right at home in the 5th Element. This one screams black and white 1940's sci-fi movie to me. I'm really enjoying watching this come together. I'd like to see more art deco influences here, I think it will really fit the build. Maybe some Cord/Mercedes exhaust tubes from the hood sides through the fender and some Delahaye style chrome around the lower edges of the body.

Thanks!!

This one was not intended to align with the 5th Element movie, which is why it has a different look.

Yes, this one has much more of an art deco feel. I'm not planning on adding exhaust tubes out the side, (only because it is intended to be a hover car with everything exhausting out the back), but I am planning on adding some chrome side trim to help break up the large areas on the sides where the wheels were. I'll probably go with 3 stacked trim pieces near each of the wheel areas.

The addition of the rear drive system is really starting to make the connection with the vibe of the flic. :PB) Is that a hubcap you used for the "drive nacel"?

Actually, it's two hubcaps...One as an outer ring to fit the inner diameter of the tubing I used and one inside of that for the exhaust. Of course the inner one is from a Chevy :D

Later,

I'm not planning on adding exhaust tubes out the side, (only because it is intended to be a hover car with everything exhausting out the back),

Well I was figuring the tubes wouldn't be for exhaust but rather to bring coolant to the reactor core. Don't want to over heat do ya? :lol:

Well I was figuring the tubes wouldn't be for exhaust but rather to bring coolant to the reactor core. Don't want to over heat do ya? :blink:

I like the way you think!!

Here's a couple of pics I modified in PowerPoint to get an idea of how I want the trim to look.

I may move the pieces on the rear up a bit. I'll play with it some more in PowerPoint before I decide on the final location, but this gives a general idea of how it will look.

Deco01-vi.jpg

And here's one with the "cooling lines" coming out from the engine area to where the SuperCool radiators are tucked away in what once was the wheel openings :lol:

Deco02-vi.jpg

But...there's still a lot of fabrication to do to the left side before I get to that point...

Later,

Simply amazing Raul! I was thinking along the same lines when the idea was mentioned of "coolant tubes" to give a bit of a "Art Deco" look. Really love where this one is going! I think the three peice trim idea to break up the fender areas is going to be a very well deserved and brillant idea. Keep up the outstanding work. I can't wait to see more. B)

Raul, that looks great. O agree about the over heating, don't want a reactor explosion now do ya?

Thanks, Clay!! No...we don't want a reactor explosion in this one...

Simply amazing Raul! I was thinking along the same lines when the idea was mentioned of "coolant tubes" to give a bit of a "Art Deco" look. Really love where this one is going! I think the three peice trim idea to break up the fender areas is going to be a very well deserved and brillant idea. Keep up the outstanding work. I can't wait to see more. :)

Thanks!!

I did a bit more work in PowerPoint to get a more 3D / chrome representation of the trim and the coolant lines this afternoon. :)

Deco03-vi.jpg

Once all the body work is done and it's primed, this is how I'll decide the final shape, size and location of the trim that will be added before it's painted.

Later,

• 5 months later...

While waiting for the black basecoat to cure on the BAT car, I got back to work on the 2239 Chevy.

So far it has a black base coat and I finalized the design for the side trim.

With a little green screen magic, here's the car superimposed over a scene from the 5th Element heading into the garage.

2239Chevy03-vi.jpg

Here's the green screen shot before I added the trim and colored the body in PowerPoint.

DSC08132-vi.jpg

Time to print the side trim onto sticky-back paper, apply the paper to 0.06" styrene, cut out the trim, then get it sanded to final shape and glued to the body before the final basecoat of black is applied...

Later,

• 1 month later...