Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ma's Resin

Thanks for the update Al and best of luck in your attempt to "downshift" life a little bit. I can only imagine what you will produce for us given more time to focus on resin!

Agreed.

Nice to talk to you in person at NNL East. Hope all goes your way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate to do this because Al is great, but has anyone heard from him? I ordered at least 2 months ago and he confirmed my order but nothing since. I did email him but received no reply.

Mike,

Not sure how big your order is, but from my experience the bigger the order, the longer the wait. I was waiting about 2 months for my shipment of about 12 sets of tires and it was worth it! As John mentioned above, Al travels and cannot always respond quickly. I have no doubts you will get your order soon!

Mike,

Not sure how big your order is, but from my experience the bigger the order, the longer the wait. I was waiting about 2 months for my shipment of about 12 sets of tires and it was worth it!

Part of Al's process is that rubber tires must stay in his pressure pot overnight. That really limits production to something like 6 tires a night. And that's when he is home. Al travels a lot on business. He's been doing the resin out of his engineering curiosity of perfecting molds and the process. Note his prices are really cheap, which is about his cost for materials. So when you order from him, think of it more as if you are asking a buddy to cast a few things for you, than sending in an order to Walmart.

Hard ta cast parts when your drivein coast ta coast. Talked to Al today, he was drivein home from Toledo, after commin from Chicago! He IS a busy guy and DOES have a family to take care of. I don't think it took a WHOLE year ta get parts but theres a reason for it if it did. I'll order from him again inna heartbeat if he has something I need, without hesitation.

I hate to do this because Al is great, but has anyone heard from him? I ordered at least 2 months ago and he confirmed my order but nothing since. I did email him but received no reply.

Mike....I have to agree, Al is one of the good ones, but his "day job" has him extremely busy lately, be patient with him, you wont be sorry...

Gents ... appreciate the feedback. I know Al is awesome. He has chatted with me offline via email before and I have ordered a few times from him as well. Just got a little worried when he seemed to be showing up on the forum regularly again and then all of a sudden he disappeared after I ordered. I'm glad he is well and its rather good he is busy with his "day job." Medium Al is an outstanding guy with outstanding products so I'm glad to hear all is A-O-K. Thanks fella's.

As a long time caster myself, I know that anything in rubber resin takes much more time to prepare and cast than hard resin does. I also realize that these guys do this to help our hobby when they are able too. Very few do it "to make a living" so it's very understandable that life, work and family come first. As long as the caster stays in touch and eventually delivers a quality part, I'm happy. Remember, good things come to those who wait. :)

George53,

It didn't take a "whole" year. Is it Ok with you George for me to call 10 months, almost a year? Thank you.

I stand by my statement, even though YOU don't think its true.

robert

Robert, understand that Al is not running a full time business here. He's doing it because he's an engineer and is interested in improving the technological issues. The quality of his stuff is first class, since it's really an experiment in progress. One of the things that slows him down, aside from his heavy real work schedule with travel, is that his process for the rubber parts has them sitting in his one pressure pot over night. That limits his production to like 6 wheels an evening, IF and when he's home. When guys order 5 sets of everything, well that's when things come to a standstill.

If you've seen the things he's been working on with 3D printing, it's absolutely amazing. He's near ready to have complete kits ready for some very interesting subjects like the Mormon Meteor, '73 GTO and Amphicar... all nearly perfect.

If you noticed, the cost of the parts is about what it costs him to make them, so think of it more as if you asked a friend to make you a few parts, than as if you are ordering from a full time mail order house.

So, Tom and Ben

Is 10 months acceptable even with good communications(read excuses, problems, mishaps, or heartaches)?

Guys, I understand the whole "garage" business/life thing. And I really do appreciate the contributions they make with their love/enthusiasim for our hobby. Without trying to sound like I was complaining or belittling the guy, I simply stated my experience.

He's probably the greatest guy in the world, but that doesnt change the fact that he took almost 10 months to fill MY order. And I dont care how you slice it, 10 months is too long.

robert iroc272727atyahooooooooodotkom

• 2 months later...