Model Cars Magazine Forum

36 Ford Street Rod

Terry Sumner

Well I'm getting going again on this project that stalled a while back. Going for kind of a pro street look, at least in that I'm using some big tires out back on a 4 link suspension and airbags. I've sort of re-made the rear end by using aluminum tubing in place of the kit axle tubes. The wheels are Bob Dudek aluminum items with some special adapters I machined on my little Unimat lathe. I've drilled out the units and drilled and tapped and installed 000-120 rod for wheel studs. The only trouble is I don't like the 000-120 nuts...they're too big so I'm going to have to solve that problem! Basically I'm using the chassis out of the 39 Wagon Rod kit. I'm also going to use the Wagon Rod front end, but with specially made spindles using Bob Dudek items and some of my own mods.

Here is the look I'm kind of going for in the chassis...

138-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the rear end, although the 4 bars will be mounted further outboard...

Rear2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is what the front spindles will look like. The brake calipers were machined by Bob Dudek also.

Frontspindles1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Another view of the front spindles...

Frontspindles2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is a close view of the rearend in place in the chassis but the 4 bars aren't mounted yet..

100_3135-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Maybe a bit better view of the inside of the rearend... I still have to fab up some caliper brackets.

100_3137-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The chassis in a jig I made up to get everything aligned properly and to set the ride height or "stance" the way I want it.

100_3131-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rear view of the chassis in the jig. The engine is out of the Wagon Rod also. It is a Corvette LT-5...something I thought would be a little unusual for a street rod instead of the usual sbc or bbc....

100_3134-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A mockup of the body...

Chassismockup3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Question.

Would you say that the body style of the '36 Ford Closely resemble's the '37 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe? If not then could you tell me what kind of modifications would have to be made?

Yes I'd say they do look pretty close. But I couldn't even begin to tell you how to make the modifications. If it were me I would gather every bit of info I could find on the two cars...photos, diagrams, measurements, etc. Compare the 2 photographically, then maybe be able to see what would have to be modified to turn the 36 into the Zephyr. Another way is to procure the Ertl 1:18 scale diecast model. I've read that it's an excellent replica. Then maybe you could use that to assist you in determining how to go about converting the 36 Ford to the 27 Zephyr. An interesting challenge! I think it could be done.

Here's a link to the Ertl diecast...

http://creativeclock.com/Diecast-Cars/1937-Burgandy-Lincoln-Zephyr-Main.htm

Yes I'd say they do look pretty close. But I couldn't even begin to tell you how to make the modifications. If it were me I would gather every bit of info I could find on the two cars...photos, diagrams, measurements, etc. Compare the 2 photographically, then maybe be able to see what would have to be modified to turn the 36 into the Zephyr. Another way is to procure the Ertl 1:18 scale diecast model. I've read that it's an excellent replica. Then maybe you could use that to assist you in determining how to go about converting the 36 Ford to the 27 Zephyr. An interesting challenge! I think it could be done.

Here's a link to the Ertl diecast...

http://creativeclock...Zephyr-Main.htm

Hi, Thanks for the Information, I am definitely looking into it. Ahh yes this is a challenge, and one that I think that I could handle. Thanks again :( .

Anyway I am keeping an eye out on this build B) . This is gonna be good.

Edited by davyou5

Great chassis and body mods- I am working on a 36 with chopped top also- looking for a 40's look on mine- my body had issues with thick and thin areas passenger side to drivers side making the chopped top difficult to attach- how did you resolve these issues? I also opened up the doors, found discrepancies between passenger and drivers side contours, will address with styrene strip on leading edge of passenger side opening and sanding back the leading edge of the door, about 0.060 to 0.090 at bottom to zero at belt line. Still, the AMT kit is the best for build options, especially if you want 1/25th scale. Check my concept out at 1936 Ford Project if you get a minute.

Great chassis and body mods- I am working on a 36 with chopped top also- looking for a 40's look on mine- my body had issues with thick and thin areas passenger side to drivers side making the chopped top difficult to attach- how did you resolve these issues? I also opened up the doors, found discrepancies between passenger and drivers side contours, will address with styrene strip on leading edge of passenger side opening and sanding back the leading edge of the door, about 0.060 to 0.090 at bottom to zero at belt line. Still, the AMT kit is the best for build options, especially if you want 1/25th scale. Check my concept out at 1936 Ford Project if you get a minute.

Well I chopped the top a couple of years ago...like I said, this was a stalled project. And I can't say that I remember any problems out of the ordinary as in any other top chop. The only thing I remember was attaching the top to the lower part of the body first.

And I'd love to see yours...but where do I go to see it?