Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

Joe Handley

I built one of these when they first came out Joe, a nice, quick and easy build. The "rubber" seats are kind of funky, but they work nicely. When you trim the flash off of them, rub the seat with your fingers until the line goes away, and they look great.

Sounds good, I added blade bumpers to mine to make it look better, I'm waiting to see what you do. I noticed your front & rear fascias and hood fit better than mine. It took a ton of sanding on mine to get the front and rear to match the body, and my hood still sticks up slightly in the front. I guess I should have waited for the full detail kit....

Edited by Custom Mike

I had to open the locating holes for the Hood, Rear Bumper Cover, and Spoiler a wee bit after the paint was dry so they would fit and will probably have to do that for the lights and grill too. I did test fit, remove mold lines, and such when I first bought the kit a year ago and that could be why it does have a decent fit as well.

What I liked about that green is that it's pretty close to the Snake Skin Green that was offered on recent Vipers

2008DodgeViperSRT10CoupeSnakeskinGreen.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

The quick build-ability of this car is why I'm building it right now. I work for a HobbyTown and a couple of my co-workers are building (well, one is building two with the other's help) for next Saturday's contest just for the heck of it and they kinda "snookered" me into building too......with 1 week to go :D

Thanks Jim!

I ended up doing a little touch up today and and painted the grills and chin spoiler late in the afternoon then re-cleared the body after we locked the doors and I shot these pics not too long before leaving to go home for the night. I left it there for the night and really hope it turns out as nice as it looks once the clear is dried!

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

The camera I used is a Canon Power Shot SX120 set on 10 megapixels and I can't believe how well it picks up the flake in this paint!

Must be nice you can work on your builds at work, Joe. Is there a HobbyTown out your way now? I don't remember one when I was in Aurora.

Is is when we get the chance, this car has been more of a "got a couple spare minutes" type build where I ran out and shot the colors during lulls in customer flow. The one I work for is in St. Charles, and there used to be one by the Fox Valley Mall that I worked at for a while until it closed a couple years back.

Went and got the body from the store today and quickly mocked it together for these pics when I got home.

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

That really is coming out nicely, Joe, and that green is really quite striking on that Challenger. It's unfortuanate Chrysler hasn't seen fit to have a wider variety of colors on that car, or more than one interior color. Green with a camel interior would look really nice. Perhaps I'll do one like that as a "if I had it done-over as a mild custom-" type build.

Charlie Larkin

Lookin' good! You might want to mask and paint the lower rocker panels flat black. Most people miss this detail on their builds. Here's a pic of a real one for reference.

2009.jpg

Also, the lower section of the rear clip gets some flat black.

dodge.jpg

brakes.jpg

This little detail helps to "slim" the car and remove some of its thickness.

Hey Joe, you need to go to work so you can work on your build. It's looking good.

Lol, I tried today and didn't get near as much done as I would have liked to, so I'm going to stick around some now that we're closed and try to finish it right now ;)

Lookin' good! You might want to mask and paint the lower rocker panels flat black. Most people miss this detail on their builds. Here's a pic of a real one for reference.

2009.jpg

Also, the lower section of the rear clip gets some flat black.

dodge.jpg

brakes.jpg

This little detail helps to "slim" the car and remove some of its thickness.

Thanks for the pics Mark, but that's one area that won't be quite stock on these cars, and you'll see why once I post up the completion pics.

Thanks Mike!