Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large collection

Okay my uncle shoots me a message on Facebook saying he has a 1000+ kit collection that needs to find a new home, along with an extensive collection of auto mags from as far back as the 40's.

He's asking me how to get rid of this stuff without doing it a little at a time on Ebay or something. So if YOU had to unload that many kits at once, how would you do it? Oh and I'm sure he's not looking to give these away.

I guess now I'll have to wait through dozens of "send them to me!" replys before I get the one post that has a serious answer.

Hi Rob... Many of us would love to see them and maybe someone would want to strike-up a deal on them. The best place to try to market them would be where the interested parties are. You could send them an e-mail and photos to there personal e-mail address to see if they would be interested in any of them? You could also see if the site would allow you to just put an e-mail for a contact on the kits so others could see them and what he would take for them?

Rob,

I remember reading about someone who had the same situation several years ago, a serious automobilia collector that had rooms full of stuff to get rid of. I believe Scale Auto did a write up on it, or maybe I read it online, not sure. If I remember correctly, they brought in a company that specialized in estate sales of this type of product so they could accurately appraise the value of what was being sold. They then held an auction where anyone could bid on the items that had been assmebled into "lots" to speed up the process.

Not sure of the timeframe your Uncle is working on, but if he has time, it would be best to divide his collection up into lots instead of selling kits individually or one whole lot. Much like a car, it is far cheaper to buy one fully assembled from the sales department at the dealer than to buy the pieces from the parts department! Keep in mind that someone who might be interested in the magazines might not want the models and the other way around.

The first step is to inventory what you have- kit number, maker, description, condition, quantity- and take pictures (good ones). I would then start shopping around at various buyers of these items. Fred Sterns comes to mind but remember he is going to give you a "wholesale" price as he needs to mark it up and make a profit. This will be the story with any of them as all one has to do is watch "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers" to see the difference between acquisition price and selling price.

If your Uncle is just trying to rid himself of the collection and there is a model show/swap meet coming to his area soon, he might be able to move a large portion of them there, especially if there are some desirable kits at fair prices. Then he can take whatever is left over and sell it to whomever gives him a decent offer.

While I would love to help you by purchasing the collection, I think my wife would kill me if I bought something that sizable! As it stands now, my 350+ collection is "too much" in her eyes and "just beginning" in mine! :)

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

I would agree,many more also. Just look at retailers that sell previously owned kits and contact them. Craigslist as well. In the Philadelphia Craigslist there are two or three consistent adds stating they buy collections.

I believe there are people out there who purchase whole collections - maybe JimOhio, Model Empire? Maybe google model car collectors?

Terry, don't think I haven't thought about that. I been wondering how many would fit in the bed of my Dakota quad-cab. And where I would store them. But seriously, thanks guys I'm going to tell him to contact an auction/estate sale company. I did a quick check of Craigslist here in Tampa and found half a dozen companies looking for this sort of stuff. I'm sure he can find some near him. Thanks again.

hi,There are some collecters that buy whole collections.I know some.but know that the seller either you or your uncle don't get as much as they would if they sold it piece by piece.I have friend that is getting rid of a collection that he was put in charge of to get rid of.I can put you in contact with him if you want...if you don't want to,it is ok.just let me know.Thanks,Chris

Okay my uncle shoots me a message on Facebook saying he has a 1000+ kit collection that needs to find a new home, along with an extensive collection of auto mags from as far back as the 40's.

He's asking me how to get rid of this stuff without doing it a little at a time on Ebay or something. So if YOU had to unload that many kits at once, how would you do it? Oh and I'm sure he's not looking to give these away.

I guess now I'll have to wait through dozens of "send them to me!" replys before I get the one post that has a serious answer.

First thing he'll need to do is a complete inventory of the kits with as much detail as possible regarding condition. Two people that come that purchase collections are Fred Stearns and Tom Carter of Spotlight Hobbies.

How far from where you live is your uncle. I would consider if you have the time is to help him liquidate the collection on Ebay. Work out a deal for a percentage of revenues or take kits as a fee. I did this for a friend last year and while it is a lot of work, the results for both of us were worth the time and effort.

I would echo Bluesman Mark: Tom Carter of Spotlight Hobbies is a pro, longtime dealer in such things and knows the true value of kits better than probably anybody. Everything I've ever heard about him is that he is considerate and fair. Plus, he has the resources to buy large collections.

I don't know about Fred Stearns, but I've not heard anything negative about him, either, so that's a positive. Right?

Many people would like to buy large collections ... but generally for dirt. Stick with somebody reputable in order to move the whole lot without getting burned or taken advantage of.

Otherwise, there's always emodelcars or that other place.

Good luck! B)

Well as a buyer, I have to ask the question that seems to have slipped by...are these 1000 of the built or unbuilt variety? Typically a collection like this includes 100's of built models. Also, have they been stored properly?

Contacting a large dealer is a place to start, but as stated earlier...smaller lots (of say 50-100) would make you the most money and not take that much time. A list is important unless the buyer is close enough to see them in person.

How far from where you live is your uncle. I would consider if you have the time is to help him liquidate the collection on Ebay. Work out a deal for a percentage of revenues or take kits as a fee. I did this for a friend last year and while it is a lot of work, the results for both of us were worth the time and effort.

He's a hard days drive away, up in Tennessee. I'd love to help him out, but it's a bit far and we're not exactly close. So any overtures I might make beyond advice might be mistaken for pure greed. Which would not necessarily be untrue.

Well as a buyer, I have to ask the question that seems to have slipped by...are these 1000 of the built or unbuilt variety? Typically a collection like this includes 100's of built models. Also, have they been stored properly?

Great questions. No idea. They are taking up most of a garage is what I know. If I find out more, I'll pass it along.

I have passed on most of this info guys, I really appreciate the advice. I'm getting a bit irritated with 'ol Uncle Pete, it's like he's teasing me with this massive collection. But then, knowing him that may be his goal after all. If you saw his collection of collectable cars, guns and other antiques you'd likely blow a blood vessel in your brain. It's sick.