Model Cars Magazine Forum

$75,000 2011 Camaro

i am sure all of the 2011 Camaro Convertibles will sell without any incentives from GM. The fact that these are being pre-sold at $75,000 will only help those dealers that are lucky enough to get one of these to sell at an inflated price.

I remember years ago being in a Neiman Marcus store and a friend called it "Needless Markup" ! B);) I think that would apply in this case, don't you?

funny thing is these things sold out in 3 minutes. Somewhere out there, are 100 people who have more money than brains. All this car is, is a paint job and an overinflated Luxury brand name. These will be about as collectible as Playboy Bunny cars (last one I saw was a '69 Mustang that sold for a mere $7k). Pretty color on the Camaro, but it's just like a Brickyard or Interlagos Fire Metallic Nissan 350Z, and those are a lot more fun to drive, more affordable, and you can get them with the same color interior B):lol:

If I had $75k, I'd spend it on an Ariel Atom.... I wouldn't mind the wind in my hair if I were driving THAT lol.

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

funny thing is these things sold out in 3 minutes. Somewhere out there, are 100 people who have more money than brains. All this car is, is a paint job and an overinflated Luxury brand name. These will be about as collectible as Playboy Bunny cars (last one I saw was a '69 Mustang that sold for a mere $7k). Pretty color on the Camaro, but it's just like a Brickyard or Interlagos Fire Metallic Nissan 350Z, and those are a lot more fun to drive, more affordable, and you can get them with the same color interior B):lol:

If I had $75k, I'd spend it on an Ariel Atom.... I wouldn't mind the wind in my hair if I were driving THAT lol.

Ooohh. Ariel Atom. The world's most advanced go-kart, and that would be on my list after winning the lottery.

i know that there was a pink '69 Shelby GT500 that was given to a playmate, no way that car sold for $7k.

Dave

the one I saw was a regular '69 Mustang convt. , pink with a white top & interior, it definitely wasn't a GT500. Supposedly it was an all original car, at a Barrett Jackson Auction (or similar auction).

At the risk of awakening the board resident "doesn't know but pretends" Mustang expert, pink Mustangs were built by Ford very early on. Lots of companies offered special-order paints, Ford was no exception, and pink was available.

However, Playboy/Playmate associations with Mustangs were forged early. 1964 Playmate of the Year Donna Michelle got the first pink car for being Playmate of the Year (first car, not first P-O-Y). Ford informally called one of the pink shades available either "Playboy Pink" (more commmon) or "Playmate Pink" (less often used) and a handful were built over the years. Again, though, most documentation is fuzzy though...it was a special-order color, not a regular one. Documentation shows both terms used, but Ford usually used "Playboy" the rare instances it's referenced, but in that case "Ford" usually refers to the ordering dealer, not FoMoCo...but the magazine called their cars "Playmate Pink" so it's the more-used term by most people both then and now.

The fun part is since it was a SPECIAL ORDER color the color code on body bucks was left blank anyhow. You won't find a paint chip book with "Playboy" or "Playmate" pink as a factory Ford color either, though aftermarket ones exist.

This is not the be-all end-all but just Googling "Plaboy Pink Mustang" gets you this info if you care...

Google is your friend

Note that there's imperfect documentation on these cars. They built (literally) millions of Mustangs in the 60s, at 3 plants, and documentation wasn't made to keep collectors happy a half-century later...it was to sell more cars back then, that's it. Trying to call balls-n-strikes on mass produced cars is not quite an exact science...but it is known that a handful of pink Mustangs were made each year through the 60s.

Now, the '69 GT-500? That's a one-off car for 1969 Playmate of the Year Connie Kreski. That's a whole 'nuther animal. It's a single car...a Shelby...and obviously more rare than one of the few-hundred pink "regular" Mustangs out there, as well as having whatever significance being the "Official" P-O-Y prize carries with it.

And all that Playmate Pink history doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the Mary Kay Cosmetics Pink luxury cars!! :mellow:

ph34r.gif

Apparently not everyone agrees with you; the new Camaros are selling as fast as they can build them.

No accounting for some peoples taste!:unsure:

They screwed up the front and back of the thing! If they would have stuck with the original concept I could have lived with it! Now the darn thing looks like a cartoon car smiling at you!B)

Edited by Johnny

Apparently not everyone agrees with you; the new Camaros are selling as fast as they can build them.

I think that's tapered off- the local Chevy dealer has had the same two Camaros on the lot all summer collecting dust. Same story at the more distant dealerships. Heck, the nearest can't even sell the cool green one that's had crowds around it up until the last few weeks!

No accounting for some peoples taste!:P

They screwed up the front and back of the thing! If they would have stuck with the original concept I could have lived with it! Now the darn thing looks like a cartoon car smiling at you!:blink:

I don't think it's the front and back they screwed up- the car (to me) is too wide for its length, or too short for its width, and as a result it just looks 'squatty' to me. I doubt history will remember it as a beautiful design like the first gen. (And for the record, I'm one of the eleven people on Earth who don't like the first-gen Camaros. :D )

The other problem with it is the high beltline. Makes it feel like you're sitting in a tall bathtub with only a mail slot to see out of.

It sort of ties into my current car design peeve: crazy beltlines. Why oh why does a car need a beltline that is at a 30 degree angle and makes the car look like a wedge with tiny windows? I guess I'm from the old days where there was a flat beltline and plenty of window space so you could actually see where the heck you're going!