Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvair Wheelstander for the Birmingham Classic

TimKustom

This thing is finally close to getting off the workbench!

Here is the completed frame. Paint is Tamiya bright red, with lots of Alclad chrome.

Frame-vi.jpg

Wheels, tires and front suspension are from the Willys gasser; rear axle from '66 Elcamino, with a Dudek rear cover on it.

FrameB-vi.jpg

FrontSusB-vi.jpg

Hope y'all like, more finished pics coming soon!

More inprogress here: http://public.fotki.com/TimKustom/model_ca...eelstander_wip/

Hey Tim, are the brake lines on this frame nickel-plated wire? I ran out of it and my Radio Shack guy says they don't carry it anymore. It's such a pain to use copper wire and then have to paint it? :wink:

:twisted: Zeb

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments. Hey Bob, too bad you might not make it, so why don't ya let us in on that "secret" wheelstander project your brewing up?

Zeb, the brake lines are a combo of Detail Master lines & guitar string. The fuel & brake lines are 3 pieces per side. The straight pieces are the guitar string, the seam is hidden as it runs through the frame.

Here's the completed interior, I kinda like it even more than the frame :D

I wound up chucking most of the original interior tub as it had the doglegs for a convertible version molded in. Used the original one as a template to make a new one out of evergreen plastic. Most of it wound up being covered in flocking.

New door panels were made from litho sheet, detailed with PE nuts and door releases. The door pulls are bent solder with crimped ends.

The dash is from the Corvair kit, detailed out with paint, foil and photo reduced gauges. Tach is the Sun model from MCG.

There are two scratchbuilt consoles on either side of the seat, the one to the drivers left, has some switches and a fire extinguisher from the parts box. The other side has the throttle lever and the shifter for the Powerglide tranny.

Driver is from a Target Indy car reposed, with a head from a Fujimi driver set. He's strapped in with detail master seat belts.

Think that's all, on to the pics. The engine is next...

InteriorC-vi.jpg

InteriorA-vi.jpg

SteeringWheel-vi.jpg

InteriorD-vi.jpg

Bob, great idea on the "stoppie"...

I'm guessing somebody's gonna do a motorcycle for the theme. Something that lots of people want for the new Revell motorcycles is a rider...Any ideas?

I got an aftermarket resin rider figure for my 'Busa; helmet/leathers/etc. Tamiya has made some kits w/riders, one was a Yamaha Virago that would probably have a rider figure most suitable for a chopper. Perhaps it's time Jimmy Flintstone did some PG-13 stuff for a change :D and make a chopper rider.

Who knows, maybe one of the vendors on Satuday will have one of these Viragos cheap and there ya go...

Here are pics I snagged from the 'net:

http://i10.tinypic.com/4ddk21i.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/fbo02001/images/virago.jpg

Yes, It's finished! There are a few minor things I'm gonna address before the show but I'm calling it done. Don't want to sound like I'm gloating, but I'm very pleased with it and gonna call it my best model to date.

Wanna thank Jeff Corey for helping me decide on the name of it. Unsafe was one of several I was considering. Also thank all the modeler's that gave parts, insight, or critism.

About the build though...

The paint is testors black, with custom made decals. I wanted something that could would look like it would blow the doors off the Hemi Under Glass, fit the style of late '60 exibition cars, but more tasteful. The art was drawn in combination of Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop. The lace pattern is a photoshop pattern overlay, that's been mojo'ed, with a slight fade around the edges. All the lettering & skulls was drawn in Illustrator. It was printed on white decal paper from Bel Inc. on a Xerox Docucolor 240.

Beyond the obvious reference to Nadar, Scuncio Chevrolet (Greenville, RI) was the nearest high performance dealer in Nader's hometown of Winsted, Connecticut. They are linked with such notables like Yenko, Dana, & Baldwin Motion. It sounded cool too. Also, a car running off Alcohol, sounded kinda unsafe also.

Hope y'all like, and come say hi if you make it to Birmingham.

On to the pics...

Front3_4High-vi.jpg

Rear34High-vi.jpg

LowFront3_5-vi.jpg

LowrRear3_4-vi.jpg

DoorLogo1-vi.jpg

Stay tuned, there will be another update...

WOW! That's killer! Old Ralph would...ralph!!

Seriously, that came out great! Will it be posed doing a wheelstand at the show?

Interesting trivia; I also am from Winsted, CT. It's a beautiful little town. Great Italian food, and the curvy country roads in those foothills are perfect for sports cars and Corvairs alike :D My Dad was a GP (Doc) there for years; he and my Mom set up household in Winsted after they graduated from college and got married. A year or two ago I found a series of letters back and forth between he and Ralph Nader, who was a local attorney at the time. Classic doctor vs. lawyer stuff, and my Dad pulled no punches!! He didn't take any of the nonsense; had to do w/a case of personal injury and Ralph's client was my Dad's patient. The letters were from August, 1960, the month before I was born :shock: :lol:

Wonder what those letters would go for on Fee Bay??!!

I've said it elsewhere... Awesome build! You should be proud of it... It seems to be everything you had imagined and planned for (and maybe more!). I think you broke the record for hits and replies on that other board... Which has to be a big grin for you also! :D

Yeah, It has to be displayed in wheel standing mode... nothing else would do it justice.

Great build... Good Luck...