Model Cars Magazine Forum

observation: few seem to "weather" model trucks

I'm not going to speak for everyone here, but I know I seldom weather my trucks based on subject matter. I, like most of the other modelers I've viewed here, seem to build trucks more on an owner operator style truck, and being a driver as well, these trucks rarely have heavy weathering. I'm not saying I don't have builds planned that won't be weathered to a point, but most will either have no or very slight weathering, just because the model represents a truck an owner would be proud of and won't want dirty. A very good example is my current WIP.

HPIM2155.jpg

This truck will only have maybe some grease weathering on the fifth wheel, mainly because with an investment like the real truck would be, that would be about the only place you'd be likely to find dirt. While I was still driving over the road, my truck was rarely dirty, either, even though they were company owned trucks. Whether the company paid for the wash or I had to pay for it myself, I had the truck washed at least once a week. I lived by one simple rule when it came to my equipment, take pride in your ride! :lol:

Now don't get me wrong, there are some builds that beg for weathering to look right, I have a few dumps that will be weathered, just because they lead harder lives and need weathering unless being built as a fresh off the lot rig. As for road trucks, though, little or no weathering just seems more appropriate, expect for maybe a fleet truck like maybe an LTL fleet truck, but even most of those on the road are pretty clean for the most part.

I like Matt am building my truck from an Owner Operators perspective. guys who own there rigs rarely have dirty trucks and I know I love to see a nice clean rig on the highway. Although I will be weathering the parts that do get dirty (ie. motor & chassis parts). heres an example of the type of weathering that will be on my rig.

seatedmotor003.jpg

Well...I guess I'm different.I weather everything.I've worked as a mechanic on big trucks for years and was trained as a mechanic.I've worked on farms and over the road rigs as well.I've seen and worked on a few,but most trucks I've worked on were work trucks and very dirty and the farm trucks were very very dirty.I don't build clean show room trucks,they are all work trucks.so on my trucks they will be dity and weathered.but I also love it....it is fun to me.Thank you,Chris

wrecked377ontrailer.jpg

Oops. That is nice.

I tend to agree with some of the others. I think skill level is the biggest thing. But when I settle down and get a descent place to build I think some undercarriage weathering and dirt on the tires will be a priority on most of my kits.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Itis cool to see weatherd truck models, but I like to see them as I would have kept them. Clean!B)

I always kept my trucks clean, the cleaner the better. A dirty/beat up truck draws the wrong attention and puts off potential customers!

The last place I drove for had trucks that were just terrible looking when I hired on. (ran great) The two I drove went home with me the first two weekends and got a thorough cleaning!

Since it was seasonal work I did mantainence over the winter on all their equipment so the fist order of things was a good cleaning of everything which allowed you to spot potential trouble and get it fixed before something big broke!

By the second season I was there he told me his maintainence costs across the board had dropped by almost 60% because things got fixed before becoming a major problem. So right there is a good reason for keeping the trucks clean. (we had 5 semi tractors, 3 flatbeds, 2 dumps, all the sod farm equipment and the two loaders from their quarry!

He also said the customers were complimenting him on the trucks and he was getting a higher than usual of calls from new customers! (helps if hey can read who you are on the truck:lol: )

In all the years I drove I saw few dirty/ weathered trucks on the road. (those I did were usually at the mercy of the DOT) Not saying some local around town or not for hire trucks were not that way! But the truck represents the Busines so it is in their best interest to keep them clean and in good condition. Plus a broken down or worse a Red Tagged (out of service) truck makes you no money!

Note: Always wash your truck and check ALL the light bulbs before getting to Truckee Ca.!:D

Note: Always wash your truck and check ALL the light bulbs before getting to Truckee Ca.!B)

Been there, done that! :D When I first started driving in 1998, I had the honor of having a great trainer for the first company I got my license through, and he taught me the valuable skill of having the truck washed anytime before going into California, PERIOD! Since there were no scales before Barstow on I-40, we always stopped at Little Sisters Truck Wash there, but otherwise we stopped at the nearest wash before the Cali border. Of course, being a greenhorn, I had to know why this was so important, and he told me as long as the truck was clean, CALTRANS DOT very rarely would ever pull a clean truck behind the scales, but a dirty truck was just giving you an open invitation for an inspection.

Well, after 4 months on the road, I switched companies and still had to be with a trainer, and the trainer I had for that second company was a joke! Anyway, we were in Oregon and going to CA and I asked him if we were going to wash the truck, which probably hadn't been washed in months, stating the reason my former trainer had told me. He started out and I went to the bunk, and when we got to the CA port of entry, I woke up to here the DOT officer telling the trainer to pull around the back of the scales! Needless to say, I gave him a nice, big "I TOLD YOU SO!", and he ended up taking me straight back to the main terminal and kicked me out of the truck! The next trainer I had couldn't believe not only how dumb that trainer was, but why he kept me in a trainer's truck as long as he did, I was on my own by the end of the week!

They loved the guys with chicken lights too!! I got passed by an O/O who had cab abd trailer almost outlined and lots of bulbs out in the "safety" lights. Got on the radio and wrned him to get them fixed before hitting Ca. and he said "half the light is still working". Ok!B)

He was in the shed when I caught up. I had to go in but they were just checking my log book. He was in there on the phone calling someone to come out and fix his lights. Heard him talking the next day at the Bakersfield 76 TS and they hit him 25 a pop for 15 bulbs that were out in the two bulb safety lights! Plus would not let him leave until they were fixed. 75 dollars for the service truck to come out (he was actually already there on another truck) then they would not let him climb his truck to fix the upper trailer lights so he had to pay another two hours labor so the service guy could climb up and install 8 bulbs!

What a racket!dry.gif

Bet that driver remembers that radio call that came to him at 3am the rest of his carreer!B)

I am slowly learning little weathering techniques, but am cautious about weathering, as I would hate to screw up something I worked on so hard. I like light weathering, myself. Trucks get dirty whether we like it or not, especially if you go to the places I go, but I do like a model that looks like a truck that's driven. I wash mine as often as I can, though.

Here's an exhaust manifold I did. The flex pipe is shiny because they eventually get replaced, often by themselves.

100_0289.jpg

Another weathering trick I did, mis-matched(by brand/tread pattern/age) and worn tires

100_0291.jpg

I did it to the tractor as well. You'll notice I made the forward drive axle tires look worn and the rear drive axle tires pretty much look brand new. It's common to see this on real trucks, especially in fleets.

100_0185.jpg

As time goes on, I will get more into the weathering.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Whether or not you weather your model depends on what you're trying to re-create. Either you're depicting a factory-fresh truck (as most do) or a used truck (as some do). But there's no inherent need to weather truck models... it's all up to the individual modeler and what he/she wants to portray.

The state boy will notice that one from the far side of the interstate!:lol:

I wouldn't leave the yard (or anywhere else) with that tire on my trailer, especially a tanker!:)

Edited by Johnny