Model Cars Magazine Forum

making a butter fly hood

I was going to make the hood for my autocar build, a butterfly hood to be authentic instead of "using tape to display the engine as amt suggests doing. what would be a good tool to use as hinges and does anyone know were to find a pic to show how they open on the real deal.

thanks, brandon

I'm doing the same thing with one that I'm working on. What I'll do is just use plastruct tubes with a metal wire down through it; in other words a piano hinge affect. That's simplified, but there are several tutorials for it. I'm thinking that there might be one on this forum.

I never thought of doing a piano hinge like that, it sounds like a good idea. If you want something more like a piano hinge without trying to scratchbuild it, I've heard doll house piano hinge works good.

I was going to make the hood for my autocar build, a butterfly hood to be authentic instead of "using tape to display the engine as amt suggests doing. what would be a good tool to use as hinges and does anyone know were to find a pic to show how they open on the real deal.

thanks, brandon

4931580728_c67e02a68a_b.jpg

I use the Model Car Garages piano hinges when making butterfly hoods. They are a little tricky to work with, but with a little care and perseverance the result is well worth it.

The first hood I built was for my Pete 351, the hood itself is made of brass sheet. The second is my Autocar dump truck and last is the Autocar with the big Detroit. The hood on this is the kit hood modified (I extended the hood a scale 10" to get the Detroit in).

post-210-077575000 1287819385_thumb.jpg

post-210-087273600 1287819453_thumb.jpg

post-210-095208200 1287819496_thumb.jpg

post-210-009660300 1287819549_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Dave

2ikl6b.jpg

Here is what you need to made these hinges.I use plastic cement and crazy glue to put it together.

301d9av.jpg

For materials I use 1/16th aluminum tube, .032(.81mm) brass rod and thin sheet styrene.All cut to the same length.

i55h6d.jpg

Now score the aluminum tube with and x-acto knife to simulate a piano hinge, leave the brass rod in the tube when scoring.Then cut into three pieces.Use a small drill bit to clean out the tube after cutting. I leave the center section alittle larger.

1zp0g08.jpg

vy07fd.jpg

262mv6g.jpg

Now cut plastic strip to same length as the tube pieces and crazy glue to the edge of the strip.Then insert brass rod.

osbgjo.jpg

zwda8i.jpg

2rcsy9l.jpg

Edited by 20dakota04

Very nice little hinge tutorial there! I'm in the process of doing some smaller pin hinges for a van, but all the same as these long ones and you've given me some ideas. The photos WERE worth a thousand words!

Edited by Foxer

Hey bin! you think the 5/8 flange would work as a cab door hinge?I cut the door out on a 377 last year/Winter and door hinges have been the hold up ever since.

Bin???, who is this Bin person you speak of? :D:lol:

Yes, the smallest hinge would work fine for the Pete doors. I used it to hinge the door on my sleeper that was just painted. There's pics of how it looks in the "W900L" project folder on my Fotki site. www.public.fotki.com/lotso

• 6 months later...