Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth GTX

mrmike

I've had this kit in my stash for a few years and I thought that it was time to build it. The kit is Revell's 1971 Plymouth GTX. This will be a mostly box stock build with the motor being wired and plumbed and the kit tires being replace with better tires from my parts box.

71GTX01.jpg

The paint is a special order MCW 1974 Lucerne Blue Metallic left over from my 1974 Plymouth Roadrunner.

71GTX02.jpg

71GTX03.jpg

More to come.....

Cliffo, yes, we do love our Mopars!

Dave, I have built the '71 Satelite years ago and I have noticed the nose-up attitude and plan on lowering the front suspension. The rear suspension on the Satelite looks fine, but I will watch out for any issues when I get to that point on the GTX.

This is a good kit inspite of it's age and low parts count. Parts flash is abundant especially on one parts sprue that holds the interior. I glued the engine halves together and discovered a huge sink hole about 1/8th inch deep. So, out came the putty!

71GTX04.jpg

While I had the putty out, I fixed a few flaws on the lower right fender and the corners of the rear valance panel.

71GTX05.jpg

71GTX06.jpg

More to come.....

Most of the flash is contained towards the parts sprue with a little flash on a few parts. After I started prep on the body and other parts, I noticed that the body and chassis were warped. I seem to have most of the warp taken care of, but I fear that this one is going to fight me a little bit. So much for thinking that this was going to be an easy build! Life moves on.....

The motor and carbs have been painted and drilled out for plug wires and fuel lines.

71GTX10.jpg

This kit is loaded with flash and sink marks! This is the rear axle.

71GTX11.jpg

I removed the exhaust that is molded into the rear axle.

71GTX12.jpg

Using my Dremel and a sanding bit, I smooth out the remains of the mounting blocks on the rear axle.

71GTX13.jpg

First I used the sanding bit and then a grinding bit and smoothed out the exhaust pipes.

71GTX14.jpg

Both are ready for some time with a sanding stick.

71GTX15.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Charlie!

I pulled out the kit distributor to drill it out for plug wires and noticed the mounting stub at the bottom. Very short and unacceptable! I drill it out and replaced the stub with a length of 1/16th styrene rod. Much better!

71GTX16.jpg

I plumbed the fuel pump to the carbs.

71GTX17.jpg

I drilled a hole into the block and mocked up the distributor.

71GTX18.jpg

More to come.....

holy flash batman

is the whole kit as bad as that sprue ?

this car is near the top of both my want lists (1/24 and 1/1)

looking forward to seeing it done

Looks great! i just finished my 71 satellite just waiting for the detail sheet. Its just a base stock satellite will post some completed pics soon. anyway yours looks great. :D

I have never seen the original "Gone In 60 Seconds" so I have no idea what that car looks like. I have polished the body and added another coat of paint and It is looking great. Another polishing and if necessary, clear coat.

I have never seen the original "Gone In 60 Seconds" so I have no idea what that car looks like. I have polished the body and added another coat of paint and It is looking great. Another polishing and if necessary, clear coat.

I can't believe you have not seen this movie. Can't be called a car guy until you have. Best car chase movie ever. 93 car crashes in 45 mins says it all. I've never seen another 45 min car chase in any movie. Much better than a repeating purple Volkswagen and 14 flyin hubcaps off the same dang car.

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure watch this trailer. And if you can find one, get the original version. The remastered on dvd has the wrong music and dubbed in engines and that takes away from the whole experience.

Say WHAT?!!!!!

The Original Gone in 60 Seconds is hands above the remake.

The Engine and body look Great tho..

Nice work..

Sorry guys, but I have not seen the original movie. I have seen the remake with Nick Cage and Angelina Jolie since I got the DVD for free. But, a car person (gotta be PC) has also seen Grand Prix and LeMans, and Bullitt as well! I remember seeing Grand Prix with James Garner when it first came out at the drive-in theater and LeMans at a regular theater that has long since closed (30 plus years). I have seen more bad car movies than I care to remember (oh the old days of Saturady and Sunday afternoon movies)!

After knocking the rear valance off a few more times, I decided that it needed more support. I took a short piece of square tubing and cut it in half from corner to corner.

71GTX19.jpg

I have decided on my interior colors, white with blue trim.

71GTX20.jpg

I have lettered the tires with a white Gelly Roll pen and paint detailed the wheels.

71GTX21.jpg

More to come.....

Sorry guys, but I have not seen the original movie. I have seen the remake with Nick Cage and Angelina Jolie since I got the DVD for free. But, a car person (gotta be PC) has also seen Grand Prix and LeMans, and Bullitt as well! I remember seeing Grand Prix with James Garner when it first came out at the drive-in theater and LeMans at a regular theater that has long since closed (30 plus years). I have seen more bad car movies than I care to remember (oh the old days of Saturady and Sunday afternoon movies)!

I have lettered the tires with a white Gelly Roll pen and paint detailed the wheels.

71GTX21.jpg

More to come.....

Good movies, I have seen them too, but it's been a while. Where did you get the pen? I've been looking for one and can't find them in white. Also wondering if it would be a good idea to clear the chrome grills before I used a black pen on them. Sometimes it seems like the pens don't get traction on the chrome surface and they skip and miss and at other times they come out perfect.

Looking good so far! Watch the clip. The car I was thinking of is at :35. Just remember, if you ever watch the movie, it was the first of it's kind. This is the one that started it. Can't wait to see it together, and I hate those panels as well. I usually end up putting some big blocks behind mine. Thanks for the progress shots.

Mike

Thanks Paul, DW, and Mike.

DW, the Gelly Roll pen I got at Michaels Craft store a couple of years ago. I don't think they carry them anymore due to the ink drying out inside the pen. I have two of them and I know at least one of them still works. :) I have never used them on chrome so I don't know if clearcoat would help. If I black-out a grille, I use flat black paint and take my time to do a good job.

Thanks Paul, DW, and Mike.

DW, the Gelly Roll pen I got at Michaels Craft store a couple of years ago. I don't think they carry them anymore due to the ink drying out inside the pen. I have two of them and I know at least one of them still works. :) I have never used them on chrome so I don't know if clearcoat would help. If I black-out a grille, I use flat black paint and take my time to do a good job.

Thanks. Wished I could find a white one for the tire letters. I did finally find a good yellow one for doing lf rr on race car tires. It's just a plain ole Sandford China Marker..