Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth GTX

mrmike

Elmers makes a white acrylic fine tip pen that may work.

Yesterday, I clearcoated the body and hood. This morning I polished them with Meguirs Scratch X.

71GTX22.jpg

I glued the wheels to the wheelbacks and found that the tires didn't fit as I had hoped for. I pulled these tires from my parts box and they came from the AMT '66 Galaxie 500 kit.

71GTX23.jpg

The motor is almost complete and needs some touch ups. The air cleaner is in need of paint detailing.

71GTX24.jpg

More to come.....

There are many of us Model Builders that strive and struggle to build that perfect model.

Yet some where along the way to completion we make that one or perhaps two mistakes.

We always know they are there, but maybe no one will notice.

Then there are those that are gifted with talent and craftsmanship that build that perfect model every time.

You sir are a true craftsman

Beautiful build.

There are many of us Model Builders that strive and struggle to build that perfect model.

Yet some where along the way to completion we make that one or perhaps two mistakes.

We always know they are there, but maybe no one will notice.

Then there are those that are gifted with talent and craftsmanship that build that perfect model every time.

You sir are a true craftsman

Beautiful build.

Amen to that brother!

Thanks Donald and Brandon.

Donald, I am honored that you think of me as a craftsman, but I think of myself as a modeler who is trying to improve my skills. This model is not perfect, nor would I ever try to proclaim it as so. There are areas that need improvement and I may try to do that just as long as I can do so without making a total mess out of it. Thanks.

The dash is completed.

71GTX25.jpg

And installed into the completed interior bucket. The shifter sat too high on the console so I enlarged the mounting hole and the shifter went in further, right to where it should be.

71GTX26.jpg

A mockup to check the stance. The rear axle needs to be moved forward and the front suspension needs to be dropped. I do like how these tires fit with the body!

71GTX27.jpg

More to come.....

Yes, frontend is just a little too high, but little of lowering and it's good. This kit is quite good, but I built mine so long time ago that it is pretty rough build, but I can remember the kit. Your looks awesome, that paintjob is very cool and engine work is very great, as always!

Thanks Nico and Mike!

Using my razor saw, I cut off the spindles and miunted them high on the front suspension.

71GTX28.jpg

The rear suspension was moved forward by drilling new mounting holes for the rear springs. I filled in the holes in the frame with round styrene stock. I made a pair of shocks using the same round styrene stock.

71GTX29.jpg

I finished foiling.

71GTX30.jpg

I mocked up the body, interior, and the chassis to check the stance and I like it!

71GTX31.jpg

71GTX32.jpg

With the hood in place.

71GTX33.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Charlie! It is coming out really well! And, I have taken it apart again so I can do some more detailing. I'm wiring the battery and running heater hoses. I was going to mount the radiator but I think I'll wait until I get the chassis back in for the last time. It's coming out better than I thought it would.

Looks good. Stance looks good too. What are you using for your wood trim? Mine always turns out pretty dark and with the black interior that I love so much it does not stand out much. Plus I have a Paystar that I am working on and it has Some wood sides on the top of the dump bed that I'd like to make look weathered and as realistic as possible.

how did you paint the trim on the windows

Are you referring to the window moldings? No paint there, just Bare Metal Foil, time and patience.

While doing some additional research on the '71 GTX, I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth-GTX-440-6bbl-4spd-dana-air-grabber-1-62-/320621441819?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa686f31b

Anyone have $36,900 they can loan to me? :lol:

Well, I went and messed up the hood decal really, really bad! The only solution was to mask and paint the hood with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black. While the can of paint was out, I painted the front and rear spoilers, as well.

71GTX34.jpg

I then installed the front and rear bumpers.

71GTX35.jpg

71GTX36.jpg

My GTX is nearly done!

More to come.....

Thanks Bruce! When I started this project, I had noticed a warp in the chassis and the body. I tried to remove the warpage as much as I can and now that the model is almost complete, the warpage has returned. My solution is to remove the front suspension and modify one of the spindles to get the model to sit flat on all four wheels. I am not looking forward to making modifications at this stage of the build, but I want this GTX to look as good as possible.