Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where could I buy styrene

h3ae86

Hi I was wondering where I could buy styrene because I've looked in my local Michaels, ac moore and even my local hobby shop and none of them seem to carry any evergreen or plastruct styrene. I'd like to scratch build part of the interior on a build and I need some styrene. I'd just like to know know where I could buy some at a good price.

Edited by h3ae86

im in the same situation as no where local has stuff like this and I would rather not get stuff online,I dropped into plastics supply company that bends up perspex and over the counter sales etc and I managed to score a full stock sheet(1000x1500) of styrene for $10 where as online shops here want $20 for a small sheet the size of a birthday card so if you can find a company that sells over the counter perspex etc as they will surely have styrene and other plastics that they would normally sell for sign making etc,hope that helps.

Well in a pinch you can grab a yard sale sign from your local hardware store. Pretty thin stuff. Your local comic book store may sell dividers for comic book boxes. They are made of styrene and are thicker than the sign. Harold, I'm sure your LHS isn't the only show in town. Call around some. Lastly there is mail order. Plastruct has their own site and you can order direct.

Model Railroad shops usually have the best selection. If none of your local shops carry it, then I don't see much option to buying online. For sale signs and such may work in a pinch but don't offer much variety.

For online shops Tower Hobby and Megahobby both have a good selection and good service.

Edited by Aaronw

Hi!! you can order you evergreen direct from me at this link

scale auto style - EVERGREEN

also supplying you in styrene sheet. this is the price list.

( NOTE : ALL sheet measure 8"x12" )

0.010" @ 1$ each

0.020" @ 2$ each

0.030" @ 2$ each

0.040" @ 3$ each

0.060" @ 3$ each

0.080" @ 5$ each

0.115" @ 7$ each

0.1756" @ 8$ each

ALL price are in canadian $$

hope this help

• 2 months later...

CD/DVD jewel cases.

I've been using pieces from one and haven't used it up yet. I don't have my caliper handy, so I can't give you an accurate thickness, but my ruler tells me it's very close to 1/16th on an inch.

Now that I know this stuff works, I have a lifetime supply of polystyrene.

Activia yogurt containers ( the little multi packs) are also made of polystyrene, but much thinner. Think paper. Cuts with scissors.

Great for building up various thicknesses.

Dollar Store cotton swabs with the plastic shafts are a great supply for what seems to be 3mm hollow tubing.

Anything with the recycle triangle with the number 6 is polystyrene.